“Sensitive polling data” This shit really isn’t that complicated

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’m really tired of being told this is some kind of sophisticated high level espionage. The most interesting aspect should be the mountains of cash being exchanged for such usual strategic advice as “Start a Facebook account”. It’s like our intelligence agencies are doing some 1960’s Cold War LARPing at the tax payers expense. Time and time again we hear “the information they got wasn’t all that useful” which translates to they didn’t get anything a 12-year-old with a social media account couldn’t figure out.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
That doesn't make okay what Manafort and Kilimnik were trying to do, which is move the dial on the 2016 election on behalf of foreign interests. Same as failing to install a future inside-job employee at a bank doesn't mean that it was ok to plan it and maybe also some future heist that never came off.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That doesn't make okay what Manafort and Kilimnik were trying to do, which is move the dial on the 2016 election on behalf of foreign interests. Same as failing to install a future inside-job employee at a bank doesn't mean that it was ok to plan it and maybe also some future heist that never came off.

I'm not saying it makes it okay. I'm saying a TikTok influencer could just as easily push an election in a certain direction. I think it's a distraction to put the bulk of the focus on "foreign interference" when there is just as much, if not more, internal interference. The anti-Clinton social media campaign could have just as easily been pulled off by an American. At this point in history it seems free speech is the biggest advocate for and protector of liars.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm not saying it makes it okay. I'm saying a TikTok influencer could just as easily push an election in a certain direction. I think it's a distraction to put the bulk of the focus on "foreign interference" when there is just as much, if not more, internal interference. The anti-Clinton social media campaign could have just as easily been pulled off by an American. At this point in history it seems free speech is the biggest advocate for and protector of liars.

All the free speech money can buy. The whole point of the Citizens United lawsuit.

The thing that bothers me about the resistance to that idea in the so called free press is that local papers are increasingly owned by chains. Some of them are managed in the south and the rest are being bought up by hedge funds with allegiance solely to jacked-up profit margins and pared down costs with an interest to flipping the holdings before they fold. Many of those outfits promise editorial independence but if you take a look at the columnists they syndicate, and at the letters to the editor they decide to publish, you can wonder. Put that with all the open and dark money flowing into ad revenue coffers in election years and it will be a wonder if we don't flip our American "consent" to an overtly fascist government sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom
1 2