‘I Need a New Butt’ book gets assistant principal fired at Mississippi elementary school

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
got to love the stupidity of parents.

The former assistant principal of a Mississippi elementary school says he’s out of a job over a children’s book he read to a group of second graders.
Toby Price was fired from Gary Road Elementary School in Byram after he read the “I Need a New Butt” book to students last week, WJTV reported. The picture book, written by New Zealand author Dawn McMillan, has a suggested reading age of 6 to 10 years old, according to Amazon.com.
Price confirmed the news in a March 7 Facebook post, saying he was let go by the Hinds County School District “for reading an awesome book to kids.” In an online fundraiser, he described “I Need a New Butt” as a “funny silly book” that children love.
“A young boy suddenly notices a big problem — his butt has a huge crack! So he sets off to find a new one,” a synopsis of the book reads. “Will he choose an armor-plated butt? A rocket butt? ... Find out in this quirky tale of a tail.”

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn’t know about this book until I read the article above. I checked on Amazon. Certainly I would not ask to fire anyone on this, but I must admit I am not totally comfortable at adults showing to very young kids images that make adults touching private parts with a pointed object as normal or funny.

76F2ECA2-17BD-4F46-855D-9F26E111F9D4.jpeg

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
got to love the stupidity of parents.

The former assistant principal of a Mississippi elementary school says he’s out of a job over a children’s book he read to a group of second graders.
Toby Price was fired from Gary Road Elementary School in Byram after he read the “I Need a New Butt” book to students last week, WJTV reported. The picture book, written by New Zealand author Dawn McMillan, has a suggested reading age of 6 to 10 years old, according to Amazon.com.
Price confirmed the news in a March 7 Facebook post, saying he was let go by the Hinds County School District “for reading an awesome book to kids.” In an online fundraiser, he described “I Need a New Butt” as a “funny silly book” that children love.
“A young boy suddenly notices a big problem — his butt has a huge crack! So he sets off to find a new one,” a synopsis of the book reads. “Will he choose an armor-plated butt? A rocket butt? ... Find out in this quirky tale of a tail.”

Reminds me of the weird Al song “I need a new duck” which was a parody of “I need a new drug”

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn’t know about this book until I read the article above. I checked on Amazon. Certainly I would not ask to fire anyone on this, but I must admit I am not totally comfortable at adults showing to very young kids images that make adults touching private parts with a pointed object as normal or funny.

View attachment 12346
Give me a break…

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram

View attachment 12346
*shrug*
That's a paint brush… hardly an offensive weapon. Though if it were a gun, I wonder if the outrage would be the same.

I never get why Americans are so uptight about all the things they keep well hidden in their trousers/skirts.
I always think of you lot as the ones you find in locker rooms who desperately try to get dressed while draped in towels.

God knows what Americans think when they get to a European museum (or a public park in Germany, a French beach, for that matter. All those penises! All those breasts! All those butts!

"Won't someone think of the children!"

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
*shrug*
That's a paint brush… hardly an offensive weapon. Though if it were a gun, I wonder if the outrage would be the same.
So? I am pointing to: a child with his butt out, and an adult pointing a sticky object to the child’s anus. This in a funny, game-like context. Does it need to be a dildo in order for it to be a concern, or have we forgotten how imagery works?

I never get why Americans are so uptight about all the things they keep well hidden in their trousers/skirts.

You’re saying this to the wrong person. Big time.

I always think of you lot as the ones you find in locker rooms who desperately try to get dressed while draped in towels.

You realize that I am European right? And quite open as for sexuality.

God knows what Americans think when they get to a European museum (or a public park in Germany, a French beach, for that matter. All those penises! All those breasts! All those butts!

"Won't someone think of the children!"
I mean, all of this has nothing to do with my observation.

Sadly, while you go on your anti-American rant towards the European, it just shows how you have never had to deal with real world pedophilia and domestic abuse on children.

Edit: I also might point out the issue that the books seems to depict the idea that a visual birth defect must/should be fixed. However I want to assume that by the end of the book the child realizes that he’s ok with his natural features.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
So? I am pointing to: a child with his butt out, and an adult pointing a sticky object to the child’s anus. This in a funny, Ganesh context. Does it need to be a dildo in order for it to be a concern, or have we forgotten how imagery works?

You’re saying this to the wrong person. Big time.

You realize that I am European right? And quite open as for sexuality.
Quite frankly, you may have been born in Italy (of which I am aware) but you are 100% American. *shrug*

I mean, all of this has nothing to do with my observation.

Sadly, while you go on your anti-American rant towards the European, it just shows how you have never had to deal with real world pedophilia and domestic abuse on children.
Ah well. I obviously hit a raw nerve with you…

Sorry about your past experiences. I cannot imagine.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Ah well. I obviously hit a raw nerve with you…

Sorry about your past experiences. I cannot imagine.
I am not a victim. But I have to deal with them, and I have to know stuff that I’d rather not know.

To clarify: the nudity part is not what I don’t like. I have nothing against nudity - heck I find the human body quite beautiful to see. But that image is indeed troubling to me because of the action on it.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Edit: I also might point out the issue that the books seems to depict the idea that a visual birth defect must/should be fixed. However I want to assume that by the end of the book the child realizes that he’s ok with his natural features.

At a casual glance, I'm assuming that the story is simply "i've got a crack in my butt? Guess I better get a new one!"

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
At a casual glance, I'm assuming that the story is simply "i've got a crack in my butt? Guess I better get a new one!"

Yep, that's the whole thing, it's supposed to be silly and absurd. And the content should be easily presented by a teacher, with proper context.

From the author:

Hi, I’m Dawn McMillan. I live in Waiomu, a small coastal village on the western side of the Coromandel Peninsula in New Zealand. I live with my husband Derek and our cat, Josie. I write lots of different things: fiction and non-fiction, poetry, stories for school readers and stories for picture books. Sometimes my work is serious, sometimes it’s just for fun. Every now and again I write a really crazy story — this is one of those! Enjoy!

And the illustrator:

Gidday, I’m Ross Kinnaird. I’m an illustrator and a graphic designer and I live in Auckland. When I’m not illustrating a book, or being cross with my computer, I enjoy most activities to do with the sea. I love visiting schools to talk about books and drawing. (I’ve been known to draw some really funny cartoons of the teachers!)

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Quite frankly, you may have been born in Italy (of which I am aware) but you are 100% American. *shrug*
Could be an insult or a compliment. Or both. Or a mix. I’ll take it 😂

I give you one thing: Americans tend to obsess a bit too much on avoiding nudity. It’s probably because of the early Protestant ethic or something. They see a boob and freak out, which to me insane.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Yep, that's the whole thing, it's supposed to be silly and absurd. And the content should be easily presented by a teacher, with proper context.
No one is blaming the authors or their intentions. I am sure that the book is silly and aimed at having a few poop/bathroom jokes that young kids adore and find funny.

Yet, a joke can fall flat. Worse, a joke can give a bad idea. Or, it can be misinterpreted and even abused. The fact that “silly” is the intended goal does not work as a skeleton key to bypass concerns, especially parental concerns (mind you: I am talking about having concerns. I am not talking, thinking, or even implying, that a teacher should lose his job or that the book should be censored).

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
It's strange. As a society, we're perfectly okay with a 90% exposed boob. Take it to a full 100% though, and it's suddenly a much bigger deal.
We’re indeed strange. Personally I find fascinating observing how different cultures interpret the same things in different ways. From the bottom of shoe soles, to boobs.

I find hilarious that here in TX if a woman shows her boobs a bit (esp in some settings) it’s drama (tbh often by other women), but incredibly short miniskirts that show buttocks are perfectly normal. The result is somewhat hilarious, especially in church.

Top Bottom
1 2