“...its origin and purpose still a total mystery.”

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

4C0C0DD0-2143-44A4-99FE-ABFA53610059.jpeg

Somebody has got to be a huge “2001” fan.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

View attachment 1534

Somebody has got to be a huge “2001” fan.

My own theory is that last summer's update of the likely number of alien civilizations capable of communicating their existence (36 in our galaxy) is off the mark in also asserting that all of them are too far away to be able to effect such communication. What better way to say "Sez who?!" than to stick a nice Space Odyssey type of sculpture onto Planet Earth and just take off again without further comment.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
@lizkat

its truly a cult series. very watchable even now, every 5 or 10 years !

when Mulder and Scully eat at a diner somewhere in middle America, they normally would choose a dinner like the Phonecia Diner which you may be familiar with.
BB15RJUg.img.jpeg

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Alas, another series I've never caught up with... but at least I've heard of The X Files.

I am hopelessly lost in queues of unexplored books, movies, TV series, even music album releases...

I need to go back and rewatch that series, given that Calculon claims to have been David Duchovny. I have watched far too many shows solely on the basis that Futurama referenced them.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Years and years ago, I read the "Janissaries" by Jerry Pournelle. In the book, humans are a slave race tasked with running military endeavors because we're exceptionally good at it.

Now, I suspect that the aliens have cordoned off our little world for being totally crazy, and definitely dangerous. And, if anything that silver monolith is a bomb, intended on keeping us on this planet rather than metastasizing across the galaxy.

Humans are the reason for the Prime Directive, guys.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
It's just a marker. A warning beacon.

If there is alien life, something has to warn them to steer far away this place, and wait for us to do ourselves in.

Sans nuclear destruction, I imagine this will be a great place to visit when we're gone.

I do love this though, as a testament...
“The exact location of the installation is not being disclosed since it is in a very remote area and if individuals were to attempt to visit the area, there is a significant possibility they may become stranded and require rescue,” the agency said in a statement published online.

It's early in the morning and my last few days sucked.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I’m being nit-picky here, but as a tribute to “2001” it’s a little bit off.

First of all, the original monolith wasn’t stainless steel, it was black—in the book, so black that no light reflected off it.

And second, while we don’t have the exact dimensions, we know that the proportions of its sides were 1:4:9. This thing is obviously taller.

Still, it’s a great homage by whoever placed it there. I still can’t get over the fact that someone made this thing, planted it firmly in the ground, and then just sat back and waited for someone to find it.

U

User.45

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User.45

Alas, another series I've never caught up with... but at least I've heard of The X Files.

It was very apropros in the 90s and it really sucked me in when I was a kid and I took it really seriously. Then when I rewatched some of it as an adult, I realized that it's mostly a comedy. Charming on its own, but you haven't missed too much.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Coincidences are a funny thing.

I haven’t thought about “2001” in quite a while. Yet in this past week, the following three things have happened:
  • Sunday. I decided I wanted a new alarm on my phone. Years ago, I had a clock radio/CD player, and I used it to wake up to “The Blue Danube”. It’s a nice wake-up alarm since it starts quietly and builds up to a bright waltz. Remembering that, I set my iPhone to use that track to wake me in the morning. The specific track? The version played in “2001: A Space Odyssey”.
  • Thursday. When I signed into HBO Max for the first time this week, I happily noticed that one of the movies waiting for me was “2001”.
  • Saturday. Monolith turns up in a desert in Utah.

Is the universe trying to tell me something? 😏

U

User.45

Coincidences are a funny thing.

I haven’t thought about “2001” in quite a while. Yet in this past week, the following three things have happened:
  • Sunday. I decided I wanted a new alarm on my phone. Years ago, I had a clock radio/CD player, and I used it to wake up to “The Blue Danube”. It’s a nice wake-up alarm since it starts quietly and builds up to a bright waltz. Remembering that, I set my iPhone to use that track to wake me in the morning. The specific track? The version played in “2001: A Space Odyssey”.
  • Thursday. When I signed into HBO Max for the first time this week, I happily noticed that one of the movies waiting for me was “2001”.
  • Saturday. Monolith turns up in a desert in Utah.

Is the universe trying to tell me something? 😏
I watched space Odyssey about 8x thus far. It used to be my study movie because it's so campy it doesn't distract.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
when Mulder and Scully eat at a diner somewhere in middle America, they normally would choose a dinner like the Phonecia Diner which you may be familiar with.
In Supernatural, Sam and Dean chose the same diners.
Years and years ago, I read the "Janissaries" by Jerry Pournelle. In the book, humans are a slave race tasked with running military endeavors because we're exceptionally good at it.
I love Jerry Pournelle! His books co-written with Larry Niven are amongst my all-time favorites.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
It was very apropros in the 90s and it really sucked me in when I was a kid and I took it really seriously. Then when I rewatched some of it as an adult, I realized that it's mostly a comedy. Charming on its own, but you haven't missed too much.
It’s a good show, but anyone coming new to it should not try to make sense of the “mythology”, i.e., the alien story arc. When producer Chris Carter introduced the aliens, somewhere along the line he lost the handle on the football and went off in a bunch of different directions.

U

User.45

It’s a good show, but anyone coming new to it should not try to make sense of the “mythology”, i.e., the alien story arc. When producer Chris Carter introduced the aliens, somewhere along the line he lost the handle on the football and went off in a bunch of different directions.
He admittedly wanted to blend suspense, horror, science fiction and comedy. Some elements of this humor remind me of Ves Anderson's movies, without the charming color palette.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Breaking news:

I just went over to The Other Place, and the experts there have cracked the case. It turns out this structure has nothing to do with "2001" at all.

According to MR, Apple has a secret development lab in Utah, and this thing is a life-size casting of next year's iPhone 13 Max.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Breaking news:

I just went over to The Other Place, and the experts there have cracked the case. It turns out this structure has nothing to do with "2001" at all.

According to MR, Apple has a secret development lab in Utah, and this thing is a life-size casting of next year's iPhone 13 Max.

Great. Cue the next round of memes on the size of smartphones.

right-sizing smartphones episode 438.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2