“Meta”

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Meta is losing to competitors and hoping they can hype the virtual world to be “first” in some weird metaverse that I don’t think will pan out.

So in the meantime, they are shamelessly copying TikTok and calling it bold…

Instagram will walk back some recent changes to the product following a week of mounting criticism, the company said today. A test version of the app that opened to full-screen photos and videos will be phased out over the next one to two weeks, and Instagram will also reduce the number of recommended posts in the app as it works to improve its algorithms.

“I'm glad we took a risk — if we're not failing every once in a while, we're not thinking big enough or bold enough,” Instagram chief Adam Mosseri said in an interview. “But we definitely need to take a big step back and regroup. [When] we've learned a lot, then we come back with some sort of new idea or iteration. So we're going to work through that.”
Big and bold: that’s what they call replacing the Instagram feed with a copy of TikTok. I think we could be looking at a massive collapse in just a few years.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
more sponsored content woven into your personal content

The investors’ call is the thing to listen to. They don’t care about the users’ complaints unless there’s a mass exodus from their platform; it’s about the investors and advertisers. The recent “sorry we will leave Insta the way it was” is admittedly only temporary, and they will continue putting recycled TikTok videos into everybody‘s “feed” at an increasing rate as they told investors.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
... I think we could be looking at a massive collapse in just a few years.

I hope so! The thought of Zuckerberg curled into a ball while wailing "It's just not fair!!!" gives me warm tingles. :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, $1499 :ROFLMAO:

1665607130507.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Ouch!

$1.2 BILLION METAVERSE HORRIFIED BY REPORT IT ONLY HAD 38 ACTIVE USERS​

Metaverse project Decentraland, a sandbox environment that allows users to buy and sell virtual real estate, isn't exactly teeming with people. Despite billions of dollars in valuations, companies betting on a metaverse future simply haven't made much headway.

In fact, according to data aggregator DappRadar, the Ethereum-based world Decentraland only had 38 "active users" over a period of 24 hours — a confoundingly low number, especially considering the company has a market cap of a whopping $1.2 billion.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Zuck announces the addition of pantyhose. Or something. Because, that will fix everything.

(Why do I get the feeling the company got the last 2 letters in its name in the wrong order?)

Hah, yeah. From the cited piece in your post:

Alongside announcements around the appearance and movements of the new full body avatars, Meta also announced that there will soon be an avatar store where people will be able to spend real money to buy accessories for their Meta avatar. There was notably no mention of NFTs.

Real money for avatar clothes and bling? How about just use fake money to keep it all real. :p

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Ouch.

Facebook parent Meta Platforms is making a huge investment in virtual reality, but its actual reality is looking like a real disaster.

Meta shares tumbled 24% on Thursday to its lowest level in nearly four years following an earnings report that one Wall Street analyst described as a "train wreck." It's a far cry from the company's position nearly a year ago, when CEO Mark Zuckerberg on October 28, 2021, announced with great fanfare that Facebook was changing its name to Meta Platforms to emphasize its focus on the "metaverse."

Top Bottom
1 2