“Meta”

chengengaun

Slightly Confused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Shares in the company plummeted more than 20 per cent in pre-market trading on Thursday after Meta said it expected its first-quarter revenues to fall short of Wall Street forecasts because of the “increasing competition”. The tumble leaves Meta shares on track for their worst day since the group listed in 2012 and would mark one of the biggest one-day declines in a company’s market value on record.
Whereas the Google owner has taken Apple’s recent privacy changes in its stride, Meta said it was still suffering from the new policies that make it harder to track users and target advertising.
On top of “increased competition for people’s time”, Meta blamed the poor performance on “a shift of engagement within our apps”. It said people were watching more short-form videos that brought in less money than the advertising appearing in its feed.

FT: Investors wipe almost $200bn from value of Facebook owner Meta

https://on.ft.com/34cYLbW

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
FT: Investors wipe almost $200bn from value of Facebook owner Meta

https://on.ft.com/34cYLbW

mstom.jpg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It is my belief that Facebook’s popularity is fading. They are blaming Apple (and some in the press unquestioningly report such as fact), but this slide is not Apple’s doing. Even if people do think Apple’s changes made a difference, Meta claims such a change had a $10 billion effect, and the stock’s value dropped by 20x that… so investors have figured out it‘s a much bigger problem than “mean old Apple made it harder for us to get your private information for ads.”

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
An interesting note about the stock crash. Many of Meta‘s employees are compensated with shares of stock in the company. They had a whole-company meeting to try and quell concerns from staff. A lot of people might quit now that they saw a 25% drop in their stock compensation in a day.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I generally like the New York Times. However, one writer there that I feel gets a lot wrong is Brian X. Chen, a tech reporter. I believe he makes a lot of assumptions and often presents information to fit a preconceived narrative. It seems I’m not the only one...

Facebook should take a lesson from Pinterest and Snap in adapting to this (sic) changes rather than whining about them. The Times should do better than treat them as a reliable narrator of the current ad climate.

U

User.45

One interesting thing and I think @Eric pointed it out that more and more sexually suggestive advertisement is popping up at FB. Usually that's a sign of a portal being in trouble. I have adblock on, so I don't even see timeline, but I turned it off a few times and I noted for a while since I'm more careful with the tracking stuff, the ad's have been increasingly off, but most recently, every single time I logged in, there was a female lingerie ad or last time I had a model wearing a T-shirt braless with nipples poking through. I've never ever seen an ad like that in my ca. 15 years on the platform.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
U

User.45

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We may be witnessing the fall of FB (Meta) as we know it.

”Sharing data between countries and regions is crucial for the provision of its services and targeted advertising, Meta stressed.”

Oh no! You mean if we don’t let you do this you won’t be able to show us creepy ads?!?! Well let me gut this privacy law immediately!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2