100 year old man charged as Nazi concentration camp guard

Thomas Veil

Elite Member
Staff member
Reaction score
And the charge includes over 3,500 counts of being accessory to murder.

It comes after prosecutors in the northern town of Itzehoe announced accessory to murder charges last week against a 95-year-old woman who worked during the war as the secretary of the SS commandant of the Stutthof concentration camp. That case and the charges against the 100-year-old man both rely on recent legal precedent in Germany establishing that anyone who helped a Nazi camp function can be prosecuted for accessory to the murders committed there.

I’m not sure what to make of this. Sure, it appeals to the part of us all that wants justice. And, the Nazis were history’s ultimate villains.

But 100? We went through that with John Demjanjuk some years ago, and the case dragged on all the way to his death.

Scepticalscribe

Elite Member
Staff member
Reaction score
And the charge includes over 3,500 counts of being accessory to murder.

I’m not sure what to make of this. Sure, it appeals to the part of us all that wants justice. And, the Nazis were history’s ultimate villains.

But 100? We went through that with John Demjanjuk some years ago, and the case dragged on all the way to his death.

Rather than Nazis per se, - most of whom are dead, or close to death - this may serve to send a message to those currently committing war crimes (or those who have relatively recently done so) that neither age nor distance (in time or in place) will serve to protect them once the wheels of justice are put in motion.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just read of a 95 year old woman who was a secretary getting charged too.
German prosecutors indicted the woman, who once worked as a secretary to the commander of the Stutthof concentration camp, after a five-year investigation.

Thomas Veil

Elite Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We're only just learning about this guy. But in the case of Demjanjuk--which we got to see up close here in Ohio since he lived here and it was in the news ever day--people were conflicted. He claimed it was mistaken identity, the guard photo they used to identify him was blurry and didn't look much like him, and he'd been an auto worker living here quietly for a long time. Like this guy, Demjanjuk was said to be a guard, not anyone who actually put anyone to death. And by the time they came after him he was in a wheelchair and didn't look all that healthy. He ended up being extradited to Israel and had legal bills neither he nor his family could afford to pay. In a way you kind of had to feel sorry for a guy that old and feeble.

Did the Nazis or their enablers have sympathy for victims who were over 90 years old?

On the other hand, the answer to your question is obviously no.

thekev

Site Champ
Reaction score
Did the Nazis or their enablers have sympathy for victims who were over 90 years old?

It shouldn't matter. I don't want to adopt the social standards of the Nazis, based on someone being complicit in their crimes.

Also.. I'm wondering what the trial will look like with this guy at 100..

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Honestly I think this serves no meaningful purpose, but given the fact that thousands of Nazi criminals got to just return to normal life as if nothing happened, if another individual gets to be punished for the team so be it. It's not like he's going to be thrown into gen pop and shived while playing basketball.

Top Bottom