14-Year-Old Mexican Girl Jailed for Escaping Arranged Wedding Ceremony

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
lucky the real authorities stepped in. she would ahve bee na slave to her husbands family.
A 14-year-old girl was jailed last week after running away to escape the wedding ceremony for which she had been sold.

The girl, who has been identified in the local press only as Anayeli “N,” was supposed to marry a neighbor in Mexico’s Guerrero state whose family had offered a sum of 200,000 pesos (about US$9,300) to buy her hand in marriage.

Anayeli’s mother had accepted the payment, and the neighboring family had hired a band, slaughtered a cow, and prepared a marriage feast to take place last Monday. All told, the would-be groom’s parents spent around 56,000 pesos ($2,600) on wedding prep.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that the fact that the girl has been "jailed" (having fled what is euphemistically described as "an arranged marriage", when informed consent is clearly absent given that one of the parties to this squalid ceremony is but a child) represents the authorities "stepping in" and performing a rescue?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
No, I didn't read the whole story, and thanks for the clarification.

The Daily Beast wished me to disable my adblocker, and Yahoo wanted permission to drown me in cookies; hence, I was unable (or, to be more precise, unwilling) to open the links provided in the OP.

However, and unfortunately, neither the actual Original Post nor the thread title made this state of affairs clear.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
sorry yes the real police rescued her from sale. thats all it was it was not a marriage by any means,

Top Bottom
1 2