2021 NFL Season

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Mod note: this thread was being moved about the same time Herdfan started a new one. They’re the same subject, though, so I’ve merged them under Herdfan’s thread title.

———

The 2020-2021 thread hasn’t even dropped off the page, but we’ve gotta start sometime.

So let’s start with Drew Brees retiring. 😮

I wonder if the Saints were expecting this yet.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, we were all expecting it. Personally, I'd hoped for it last year, but nobody asked me. Now if they'll just settle on his replacement and work on the rest of the team. This whole salary cap situation is insane. They are all paid too much to start with.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yes, we were all expecting it. Personally, I'd hoped for it last year, but nobody asked me. Now if they'll just settle on his replacement and work on the rest of the team. This whole salary cap situation is insane. They are all paid too much to start with.
Maybe the top players make too much. But most players have “careers” that last less than 5 years. And it’s all pocket change for the billionaire owners, because they get millions from local taxpayers for their stadiums. They also get stupidly rich because of the tax system in America. Mitt Romney, if corporations ARE people, then why do they pay a lower tax rate?

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I agree with Bob Costas' criticism of football. To paraphrase, it's not just that it's a violent game but the violence is celebrated.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
The NFL Draft is on, and with the exception of the usual anti-Goodell brigade, the house is rocking. Everyone’s glad it’s back live.

That stage they built near the Rock Hall is awesome, too. It’s almost like a laser show with all the flashy screens and lights.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The NFL Draft is on, and with the exception of the usual anti-Goodell brigade, the house is rocking. Everyone’s glad it’s back live.

That stage they built near the Rock Hall is awesome, too. It’s almost like a laser show with all the flashy screens and lights.
Not sure how I feel about Aaron Rodgers coming to the 49ers (my home team), I don't dislike him but am not thrilled either.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Yeah, Rodgers is staying put for now...although he sounds very unhappy where he is.

BTW, have we ever seen five quarterbacks taken in the first 15 picks before?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
It’s 11:21 EDT.

As a Cleveland Browns fan, I’m used to watching the #1 pick and then going to bed.

This draft is killing me

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

I don’t know if this says more about the Oscars and competing sports than it does the draft, but they’re interesting numbers.

I think part of it is fan interest, part is the return-to-normal factor, and part is the party atmosphere.

And as this article I read pointed out, everyone starts right now with a 0-0 record and Super Bowl dreams dancing in their heads.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
@SuperMatt, it looks like the Bills have a bit of a thorny problem.

As usual, I don't know what the big freaking deal is about getting vaccinated. It's like being in the street with a car coming. You don't ask, "Do I get out of the street or do I just stand here and hope that the car will avoid me?" You get out of the stinkin' street.

Two parts of this story that stood out in particular to me:

Getting vaccinated has become a source of offseason debate among some of the Bills, starting with Allen. Last month, he called it “a tricky situation” in telling The Ringer podcast he was still debating whether to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by calling it a personal choice....

Receiver C ole Beasley recently posted a series of tweets questioning both vaccination and mask-wearing requirements.

Starting safety Jordan Poyer’s wife, Rachel Bush, has actively protested mask wearing and mandatory vaccination on her Twitter account. Bush is an Instagram model who has nearly 92,000 followers.
Oh, please.

It sounds like there's a fairly big resistance in the Bills players group to getting vaccinated. I don't know if this particular to just your team or if this is emblematic of a wider problem with many teams.

And then there was this.

Earlier this month, the NFL informed teams they cannot release players simply because they are not vaccinated.
Well, okay, I can think of a couple of reasons why that may be. The agreement with the NFLPA may not allow it, however dumb that would be. Or the NFL may be afraid of a class action lawsuit. All I know is that if you're having an anti-vaxxer insurrection (if you will) among your players, that stance removes the biggest weapon you can use to deal with it.

If you as a coach (and other players as well) don't feel confident going onto the field with unvaccinated players, then I'd think there should at least be an out where you can bench those players and not pay them.

And yes, I know what that would mean to team rosters. But as you may have surmised, I'm firmly in the corner of science and safety.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
They don’t hire football players for their medical knowledge.

Cole Beasley had a public Twitter fight about not getting the vaccine. His tweets are the typical “shouldn’t I have a choice?” BS.

Much of Western New York is usually pretty right-wing in its politics, so these guys fit right in.

PS - FRACK Donald Trump for ruining everything good in the world, now to include my favorite team.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Hmm. Case in point:

“I will be outside doing what I do,” he wrote in a statement posted to social media. “I’ll be out in the public. If your (sic) scared of me then steer clear, or get vaccinated. Point. Blank. Period. I may die of covid, but I’d rather die actually living.
I’d rather take my chances with Covid and build up my immunity that way. Eat better. Drink water. Exercise and do what I think is necessary to be a healthy individual. That is MY CHOICE based on MY experiences and what I think is best. I’ll play for free this year to live life how I’ve lived it from day one. If I’m forced into retirement, so be it.”

Yeah, because it’s all about you, Beasley. What you want to do, with no responsibility to anyone else. ‘Cause football’s not a team sport, right? And because everyone in society is isolated from each other, right?

I mean, by this logic you can run red lights because it’s what’s right for you. And if other people don’t like it they can just avoid you.

Lord, what a dick.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Hmm. Case in point:

Yeah, because it’s all about you, Beasley. What you want to do, with no responsibility to anyone else. ‘Cause football’s not a team sport, right? And because everyone in society is isolated from each other, right?

I mean, by this logic you can run red lights because it’s what’s right for you. And if other people don’t like it they can just avoid you.

Lord, what a dick.

Proof that concussions are a problem in the NFL right there. The guy isn’t thinking straight.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Other than @SuperMatt, I have no idea everyone's favorite team.

Mine is the Dolphins because the first year I played Midget League football was the same year (1972) the Dolphins went undefeated and won the SB. Have pretty much had my heart broken ever since.

Top Bottom
1 2