2021 Olympics

U

User.45

It's not meant to be anti-transgender. We are simply talking about 2 different things.

On one hand there is the equity of transgenders being allowed to compete. Then there is the equity of the competition. Those are two separate issues whether the trans community wants to accept it or not.

Here is a report from Sports Scientists breaking it down.

And I am sure it will be rebutted by another study showing the opposite. Which means we simply don't know 100% one way or the other.

I do not mean to offend the trans community. But I also have a daughter who was a fairly elite HS swimmer (would have swam in college had a case of scapular dyskinesis not sidelined her career) and I simply believe in fairness. I simply do not believe the competition would be fair. That does not make me anti-trans, that simply means I have an opinion that is1) different than some, and 2) one that is not clouded by emotion. I realize some may disagree and some may actually hate me for it.
Finally an internet expert with a publication record that backs it up. I didn't like the article tho, it was quite verbose and redundant.
IMHO it's a complex topic on many levels. For example I'm convinced that most pro sportspeople use illegal performance enhancers. There was an old (peer-reviewed) paper I've read many years ago that showed the power advantage of anabolic steroids can be shown even a year after their use. So let's say you boost your performance by 10% when you use them, then once the acute effect wears off the advantage drops back to 2% when the drugs are completely out of your system. So there's this ongoing issue of illegal performance enhancement.

While I agree with the author that there are sports, like full contact martial arts where the skeletal differences (which may depend on the age the transition happened) may represent a safety issue. However, if a sport is at a level with not high enough stakes to test participants for performance enhancers, gender-identity questions have minimal relevance and since that's the majority of sports this is an overinflated issue. And the primary goal is to allow transgender athletes to participate in recreational sports safely. Exclusion does not serve this purpose.

Your daughter's swim career was disrupted by injury and not trans athletes, just for fairness.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
When you present it in this way, it becomes a discussion that might be difficult and controversial, but it can at least be discussed. When you say “having a dick and competing against females” you are being crass and insensitive towards transgender people, IMHO. Maybe others would disagree.
It was an attempt at humor that didn't work. I apologize!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Is anyone going to be left in the tennis draw?

Lot's of Slam winners are skipping it. I never really understood putting tennis in the Olympics. I just don't see how a Gold medal can stack up against a Slam.

And USA Basketball got beat again. Since the original Dream Team was formed in 1992, USA Basketball had lost 2 exhibition matches through 2020. So far in 2021, they have tied that number. Got a lot of stars sitting that out as well.

On a side note, Go Suns!

U

User.45

Is anyone going to be left in the tennis draw?

Lot's of Slam winners are skipping it. I never really understood putting tennis in the Olympics. I just don't see how a Gold medal can stack up against a Slam.

And USA Basketball got beat again. Since the original Dream Team was formed in 1992, USA Basketball had lost 2 exhibition matches through 2020. So far in 2021, they have tied that number. Got a lot of stars sitting that out as well.

On a side note, Go Suns!
This is gonna be the weirdest Olympics of our lifetime given the extremely variable impact of 2020 on athletes. For example Euro2020 (soccer) just ended and it was the weakest tournament I've seen thus far. Which made it more interesting until the finals.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
COVID is surging in Japan, so there will be no spectators allowed at the Olympics. They don‘t have enough vaccines for everybody. Meanwhile in America, we have enough vaccines for everybody, but it’s starting to surge again here because millions of people simply refuse to get vaccinated.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Looks like Beal and Love are out. Replaced by Keldon Johnson and JaVale McGee.

Love has been and Beal should get another shot, or two, so I'm good with this.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Two more positives: An American alternate on the gymnastics team and Coco Gauff.

Tennis is losing its biggest stars quickly.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
On a more positive note, what event is everyone looking forward to watching?

For me, it is swimming. It has been a part of my life since I was 6. Wish I hadn't stopped, but I preferred baseball and was peer pressured into football. Then my daughter started and I officiated and then coached so it is kind of ingrained in me.

Will also watch some T&F, but will be less of a draw without Richardson. Will do my best to avoid gymnastics.

U

User.191

On a more positive note, what event is everyone looking forward to watching?

For me, it is swimming. It has been a part of my life since I was 6. Wish I hadn't stopped, but I preferred baseball and was peer pressured into football. Then my daughter started and I officiated and then coached so it is kind of ingrained in me.

Will also watch some T&F, but will be less of a draw without Richardson. Will do my best to avoid gymnastics.
I’ll be honest and admit the Olympics hasn’t interested me since the 1990’s. Granted I did take time to watch a chunk of the 2012 Olympics, but that was more down to pride of being a Brit than it was owt else.

I’m having a hard time beleiving it’s still all about the sports when there’s so much political and monetry influence over the whole thing.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Two more positives: An American alternate on the gymnastics team and Coco Gauff.

Tennis is losing its biggest stars quickly.

This is not good.

Fans not allowed at events, and it seems almost every day another athlete is getting Covid.

No, this is not looking good.

I mean, I know they feel they had a 50/50 shot at pulling this off and they took it, but I have a feeling when we look back at this Olympics we're going to be thinking a lot about how results might have been different if ________ had been able to compete as planned.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’ll be honest and admit the Olympics hasn’t interested me since the 1990’s. Granted I did take time to watch a chunk of the 2012 Olympics, but that was more down to pride of being a Brit than it was owt else.

I’m having a hard time beleiving it’s still all about the sports when there’s so much political and monetry influence over the whole thing.

It's not about sports. It is a money making TV show.

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score

The last Olympics I watched were the Calgary ’88 and Seoul ’88 games.

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
The USWNT, riding a 44 gam

Nope. It is the testosterone that comes with it.

I’ma let you look up “orchiectomy” on your own time.

I mean, I totally get that you think pee is stored in the balls and testosterone is stored in the penis, but I don’t think you have anything better than a grade five biology education under your belt, and you’re sitting here trying to debate this with someone who’s… been through all the schools, to put it gently. It’s kind of precious seeing you try. :)

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’ma let you look up “orchiectomy” on your own time.
Actually knew what that was. And also know that Hubbard has not had it.

You can say what you want, but when the average testosterone level for an adult female is .61 - 2.98 nmol/L (1) and Hubbard must be under 10 nmol/L, that is not a level playing field. Especially in weightlifting.

And you know what, I may be wrong. But I don't think the 62% of people who think people should play on teams that match their birth gender (2) are going to be impressed seeing Hubbard on TV. That number may in fact rise.

I have seen first hand how this happens as kids age. One swim team had an annual meet where boys and girls were combined in a heat by time, but scored separately. Under 10 the girls would usually win, probably because they had better body control. But once the boys started hitting puberty, they left the girls in the dust.

I am not against trans people competing, I just am not convinced it is fair to the biological girls.

(1) https://account.allinahealth.org/library/content/49/150064

(2) https://news.gallup.com/poll/350174/mixed-views-among-americans-transgender-issues.aspx

Top Bottom
1 2