2021 Olympics

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
America’s best sprinter might not be going due to a positive marijuana test.

She should have known not to use marijuana since she had to be aware they test for it. However, why is marijuana something they test athletes for? Does it give them some kind of competitive advantage? Seems like an outdated inclusion in the drug test.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score

She should have known not to use marijuana since she had to be aware they test for it. However, why is marijuana something they test athletes for? Does it give them some kind of competitive advantage? Seems like an outdated inclusion in the drug test.

Outlined here I think, “because of its ability to decrease anxiety and fear, and potentially to improve some types of oxygenation and concentration”. Still a bit dated.

Reminded me of this old story:

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Outlined here I think, “because of its ability to decrease anxiety and fear, and potentially to improve some types of oxygenation and concentration”. Still a bit dated.

Reminded me of this old story:
I did read the anti-doping agency’s justification for banning marijuana, and it’s really absurd. There’s a worse story - somebody was banned for 5 years because they didn’t answer the door when the ADA came by - and it was because she just got an abortion.

"The AIU has not accused Brianna McNeal of ever using any banned substances, has not accused Brianna McNeal of evading doping control; and has not accused Brianna McNeal of tampering with any urine sample or blood sample."

Now THAT is some f-ed up stuff right there. We could have a thread just about the anti-doping agencies. Their job is important, but there’s no question they let the power get to their heads and ban people often for really petty offenses with little to no evidence. In this case, she never failed a single drug test, nor was there any evidence whatsoever that she ever used anything illegal. They destroy careers over their power trips.

U

User.45

I'll provide my perspective. Data is pouring in that the use of cannabis majorly reduced the efficacy of cancer immunotherapy. In cancer checkpoint inhibitor therapy, we rev up anticancer immunity and seek out inflammation. Turns out cannabinoids are really good anti-inflammatories. Imagine going to the gym after a 6-month hiatus, do an 80%-of-max day, then imagine the muscle ache. Then imagine all that being gone. That's how it IS a performance enhancer. On an olympics level it does matter.

I feel for her though, and I hope we'll get much smarter on the future about cannabinoids. We aren't right now and it's a dirty shame.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'll provide my perspective. Data is pouring in that the use of cannabis majorly reduced the efficacy of cancer immunotherapy. In cancer checkpoint inhibitor therapy, we rev up anticancer immunity and seek out inflammation. Turns out cannabinoids are really good anti-inflammatories. Imagine going to the gym after a 6-month hiatus, do an 80%-of-max day, then imagine the muscle ache. Then imagine all that being gone. That's how it IS a performance enhancer. On an olympics level it does matter.

I feel for her though, and I hope we'll get much smarter on the future about cannabinoids. We aren't right now and it's a dirty shame.
A lot of things are good anti-inflammatories. Is ibuprofen banned by international doping agencies?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It is a shame because she is fun to watch. With a couple of Gold medals, she would have been an advertising star.

And she didn't make excuses. She owned it and I hope she gets another chance in 3 years.

U

User.45

It is a shame because she is fun to watch. With a couple of Gold medals, she would have been an advertising star.

And she didn't make excuses. She owned it and I hope she gets another chance in 3 years.
Agree. And hopefully in that time the WADA will re-evaluate the use of cannabinoids...though the latter will probably take a decade or more.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Agree. And hopefully in that time the WADA will re-evaluate the use of cannabinoids...though the latter will probably take a decade or more.

So how is this still a thing? The Canadian snowboarder (can't remember his name) lost his Gold medal for pot use but it was reinstated. Was WADA not part of that?

U

User.45

It's weed. They just need to legalize it everywhere already.
It's complex and very political issue though.
1. Olympics and sports organizations have a PR/primary preventative role to promote healthy lifestyle and drug prevention (ironic...)
2. Cannabinoids are still mostly scheduled as illegal drugs around the world.
3. Cannabinoids (esp CBD) have some properties that can be considered performance enhancing.*
4. It's gonna remain illegal in many countries, meaning that countries where it is legal would have an unfair advantage.

*I've heard some historians claim the Zulus used CBD when they beat the Brits. And I've read some articles about NBA players talking about regular cannabis use to help deal with the chronic muscle and joint pain.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's complex and very political issue though.
1. Olympics and sports organizations have a PR/primary preventative role to promote healthy lifestyle and drug prevention (ironic...)
2. Cannabinoids are still mostly scheduled as illegal drugs around the world.
3. Cannabinoids (esp CBD) have some properties that can be considered performance enhancing.*
4. It's gonna remain illegal in many countries, meaning that countries where it is legal would have an unfair advantage.

*I've heard some historians claim the Zulus used CBD when they beat the Brits. And I've read some articles about NBA players talking about regular cannabis use to help deal with the chronic muscle and joint pain.

I think another issue is just good old ignorance. Most of the items I've seen high in CBD are low on THC. It's my understanding that the high CBD levels are good for medical reasons and the lack of THC keeps the user from getting "stoned".

And there's still too many people out there who think pot is as bad as meth or cocaine.

That said, I have no clue if these athletes are consuming medical or recreational products.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
So is having a dick and competing against females, but that's is going to be allowed.
You’re gonna get your ass handed to you if you spew anti-transgender hate here. And no moderator is gonna ban the transgender members here when they put you in your place. Just consider that fair warning. I am not gonna bother pointing out how offensive that statement is to a transgender person, because I believe you already know it.

U

User.45

You’re gonna get your ass handed to you if you spew anti-transgender hate here. And no moderator is gonna ban the transgender members here when they put you in your place. Just consider that fair warning. I am not gonna bother pointing out how offensive that statement is to a transgender person, because I believe you already know it.
The other issue that
1. A dick is not a a performance enhancer.
2. For high level competitive sports where performance enhancers are tested there are clear testosterone/androstendion etc cutoffs

so really not one aspect of that statement holds

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

It's not meant to be anti-transgender. We are simply talking about 2 different things.

On one hand there is the equity of transgenders being allowed to compete. Then there is the equity of the competition. Those are two separate issues whether the trans community wants to accept it or not.

Here is a report from Sports Scientists breaking it down.

And I am sure it will be rebutted by another study showing the opposite. Which means we simply don't know 100% one way or the other.

I do not mean to offend the trans community. But I also have a daughter who was a fairly elite HS swimmer (would have swam in college had a case of scapular dyskinesis not sidelined her career) and I simply believe in fairness. I simply do not believe the competition would be fair. That does not make me anti-trans, that simply means I have an opinion that is1) different than some, and 2) one that is not clouded by emotion. I realize some may disagree and some may actually hate me for it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It's not meant to be anti-transgender. We are simply talking about 2 different things.

On one hand there is the equity of transgenders being allowed to compete. Then there is the equity of the competition. Those are two separate issues whether the trans community wants to accept it or not.

Here is a report from Sports Scientists breaking it down.

And I am sure it will be rebutted by another study showing the opposite. Which means we simply don't know 100% one way or the other.

I do not mean to offend the trans community. But I also have a daughter who was a fairly elite HS swimmer (would have swam in college had a case of scapular dyskinesis not sidelined her career) and I simply believe in fairness. I simply do not believe the competition would be fair. That does not make me anti-trans, that simply means I have an opinion that is1) different than some, and 2) one that is not clouded by emotion. I realize some may disagree and some may actually hate me for it.
When you present it in this way, it becomes a discussion that might be difficult and controversial, but it can at least be discussed. When you say “having a dick and competing against females” you are being crass and insensitive towards transgender people, IMHO. Maybe others would disagree.

As for the rules, if the Olympics have rules on these issues that they consider fair, why do you oppose them? They have scientists who study these issues… they are more qualified than you or I.

Are you opposed to transgender people from competing in any sports at all?

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2