A case for one aspect of "defunding the police"

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

Huntn

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
When you see police officers guilty of DUI, off-duty shootings, etc. making more money than the mayor of their city, I think defund makes a lot of sense.
It would be interesting to verify if the movement means eradicate or minimize the police.

SuperMatt

Site Champ
Reaction score
It would be interesting to verify if the movement means eradicate or minimize the police.

It's just a movement. It's not a bill or a law. If they push for completely removing police, maybe they'll get 20% of what they want, and we all get a 20% decrease in police spending, replaced by perhaps mental health or community rebuilding services that keep people safer.

JayMysteri0

Elite Member
Reaction score
$4 million dollars worth of reasons again in California

On Friday, the city of Walnut Creek, Calif., announced a $4 million settlement in the federal lawsuit filed by the family of Miles Hall, a 23-year-old Black man fatally shot by the police while suffering a mental health crisis.

CNN reports that on June 2 of last year, Walnut Creek Police received multiple calls regarding Miles Hall threatening family members and wandering through his neighborhood with a metal pry bar. Four of the five people who called 911 that day had told dispatchers that Hall suffered from mental health issues.

When officers arrived at the scene Hall was out on the street with a red bandana on his face and the metal bar still in his hand. Security camera footage shows Hall running towards the police officers after they call his name. After several bean bag rounds failed to stop Hall, two officers opened fire with their weapons.
“People still need the police, we still need them to help and answer calls,” Hall told CNN. “But I mean, is it worth it when it could result in the death of your child? I say no.”
“The police were aware that Miles was mentally impaired,” John Burris, the Hall family attorney, told CNN. “The family was engaged with the police to protect their son from being shot and killed by the police. But point of fact is, the very thing they were protecting from actually happened.”

Walnut Creek police released a video shortly after Hall had died saying that they had previously responded to multiple calls involving Miles Hall. Hall had “no significant criminal history and the majority of these incidents were handled as mental health issues and not criminally prosecuted,” Walnut Creek Police Lt. Tracie Reese said in the video.
Hall’s death has inspired city leaders to find a new solution for what responses to mental health crises look like, with county leaders currently working on a non-law enforcement program to handle non-violent mental health incidents. In a statement released alongside the settlement, the city revealed that it allocated $600,000 towards diversity and implicit bias training programs for officers and city employees, as well as the formation of a Diversity and Inclusion Task Force.

Taun Hall said that while the settlement doesn’t mean justice for Miles, it does allow the family to focus on the work they’re doing through the Miles Hall Foundation, which is fighting to reform responses to mental health emergencies.

Yoused

Site Champ
Reaction score
Here is a disturbing look at and beyond the death of Javier Ambler, the man who was tased to death for forgetting to dim his high beams.

Apparently, the sheriff of Williamson county was a previous lottery winner (big, fifty million) who decided to start a TV show similar to COPS but moreso. Uncensored, unfiltered, pure entertainment.

Turns out it was that last part that became a problem. The Live PD cameras followed the officers around and what would have been fairly simple encounters/arrests were transformed into theatre. The police went from being public servants to performers, amping up incidents for the cameras, busting down doors that the suspects easily would have opened to have a quiet conversation.

It seems as though PDs across the country have a testosterone problem. I have heard that the police strenuously oppose ending the waste and destruction of the "War on Drugs" because, I guess, they would have less work and not get to shoot as many bullets.

PearsonX

Site Champ
Reaction score
Here is a disturbing look at and beyond the death of Javier Ambler, the man who was tased to death for forgetting to dim his high beams.

Apparently, the sheriff of Williamson county was a previous lottery winner (big, fifty million) who decided to start a TV show similar to COPS but moreso. Uncensored, unfiltered, pure entertainment.

Turns out it was that last part that became a problem. The Live PD cameras followed the officers around and what would have been fairly simple encounters/arrests were transformed into theatre. The police went from being public servants to performers, amping up incidents for the cameras, busting down doors that the suspects easily would have opened to have a quiet conversation.

It seems as though PDs across the country have a testosterone problem. I have heard that the police strenuously oppose ending the waste and destruction of the "War on Drugs" because, I guess, they would have less work and not get to shoot as many bullets.
1602439581107.png

SuperMatt

Site Champ
Reaction score
Oh, Kentucky

I thought it might be one accidental Hitler quote that they didn’t know was by Hitler... nope, it’s many quotes attributed to him clearly. Definitely they wanted police to see themselves at war with the general population... and to use violence without hesitation.

PearsonX

Site Champ
Reaction score
What's truly amazing is that the presenter took great effort to make that umlaut happen, even if it's not a real capital Ü, just a lower-case ü with the font size blown up.
I managed to load part of the first image, and decided I would rather just read the story that have to look at tshrimp's avatar. How sad that I missed out on the gross misuse of "infer"

Last edited:

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m now just sitting here shaking my head and muttering what the fuck over and over.
Same here, as soon as he opens his mouth I pause (so I can FF on the buffer) or just change the channel. I just want to get through until Tuesday.

Alli

Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same here, as soon as he opens his mouth I pause (so I can FF on the buffer) or just change the channel. I just want to get through until Tuesday.
Last night a friend asked me if I was scared about the election. “Terrified,” I responded. He’s bound and determined that good will prevail and isn’t worrying in the slightest. That, despite living in KY!

Gutwrench

Power User
Reaction score
Some places are willing to give different ideas a try

No one supports sending non-LE calls for service to other resources than cops. The beat officer is busy enough already. We will see if beat officers are still sent. The projects I worked, medical wore body armor and wanted LE standby for protection.

The crisis resources will need to include someone legislatively empowered to place involuntary civil holds otherwise LE will be needed.

PearsonX

Site Champ
Reaction score
No one supports sending non-LE calls for service to other resources than cops. The beat officer is busy enough already. We will see if beat officers are still sent. The projects I worked, medical wore body armor and wanted LE standby for protection.

The crisis resources will need to include someone legislatively empowered to place involuntary civil holds otherwise LE will be needed.
Whatever it takes... When I was a resident I saw some patients in the ER who were brutalized (tased unnecessarily or beat up) by cops who had medical conditions that rendered them unable to follow commands. And obviously, these are the "lucky" ones, as consult teams don't get calls to the morgue.

Top Bottom