A case for one aspect of "defunding the police"

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

Gutwrench

Power User
Reaction score
Whatever it takes... When I was a resident I saw some patients in the ER who were brutalized (tased unnecessarily or beat up) by cops who had medical conditions that rendered them unable to follow commands. And obviously, these are the "lucky" ones, as consult teams don't get calls to the morgue.

Reality has a funny way of finding its way into life and tossing a wrench into the best made plans.

In the early 80’s my partner went to an apartment over a 20 year old son having a psychiatric event. No violence, no weapons. Upon arrival he was met by the man’s mother who confirmed no violence or weapons but he had locked himself in his bedroom.

My partner tried talking to the man through the closed door when he suddenly burst out the door and chopped him in the chest with a 2 foot long machete. My partner fell back onto a couch where he was chopped again in the chest. Fortunately the shock plate on his body armor prevented any injury. He ducked and dodged several more chops until he could draw his firearm. He shot once missing but it jammed.

The man having a mental event briefly retreated from the sound of the gun‘s discharge then charged back in. My partner slid off the couch and scooted backward on his ass again dodging wild chops.

He backed himself into a bath room and wedged himself between the bathtub and toilet where he cleared the jam as the man shouted at his mother. When he turned his attention back to my partner he was put down.

I support alternatives but keep in mind shit gets real serious real fast in the real world.

PearsonX

Site Champ
Reaction score
Reality has a funny way of finding its way into life and tossing a wrench into the best made plans.

In the early 80’s my partner went to an apartment over a 20 year old son having a psychiatric event. No violence, no weapons. Upon arrival he was met by the man’s mother who confirmed no violence or weapons but he had locked himself in his bedroom.

My partner tried talking to the man through the closed door when he suddenly burst out the door and chopped him in the chest with a 2 foot long machete. My partner fell back onto a couch where he was chopped again in the chest. Fortunately the shock plate on his body armor prevented any injury. He ducked and dodged several more chops until he could draw his firearm. He shot once missing but it jammed.

The man having a mental event briefly retreated from the sound of the gun‘s discharge then charged back in. My partner slid off the couch and scooted backward on his ass again dodging wild chops.

He backed himself into a bath room and wedged himself between the bathtub and toilet where he cleared the jam as the man shouted at his mother. When he turned his attention back to my partner he was put down.

I support alternatives but keep in mind shit gets real serious real fast in the real world.
Your partner's story was an emotional roller coaster. We agree, a dangerous job is a dangerous job. Regardless, it's hard to digest that the rate of death by cop beat's Canada's gun murders in the general population.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Power User
Reaction score
Your partner's story was an emotional roller coaster. We agree, a dangerous job is a dangerous job. Regardless, it's hard to digest that the rate of death by cop beat's Canada's gun murders in the general population.
I apologize for feeling the need to clarify, but he was a beat partner. He was a young kid at the time.

I’m genuinely not insensitive to the necessity of changes in aspects of LE. Despite having retired long ago, perhaps I can’t adequately divorce myself from it to be objective enough.

Top Bottom