A depressing thought for progressives

D

Deleted member 215

I remember observing in PRSI that it seems that Republicans can keep moving further and further to the right, and it works for them. But if Democrats dare to become more progressive, then they "alienate the center" and lose. So it seems the only option is two parties, one moderate and one far-right.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I remember observing in PRSI that it seems that Republicans can keep moving further and further to the right, and it works for them. But if Democrats dare to become more progressive, then they "alienate the center" and lose. So it seems the only option is two parties, one moderate and one far-right.
If the Republicans looked outside of the US they might realize this… but apparently they think Canada is some kind of communist country with their evil government healthcare system. Oh and BTW, Canadian life expectancy is longer than American, and they spend half as much on healthcare as a society.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
If the Republicans looked outside of the US they might realize …

If you mean Republicans as in all the people who tend to vote that way most of the time, it appears that FUHC is what they know, all they have ever known, and exploring new ideas, especially non-American ones, is just too scary to consider (I mean, after all, all the best inventions and ideas came from Americans, so why mess around with foreign ideas) – someone might get something that I don't think they deserve. The people who think this way are far from being any kind of majority, but there are enough of them about to make it a real pain in the ass for the rest of us to try to fix anything.

What I am saying is that you are micturating against the current here. Herdy has heard all of these arguments already, and may even respect their validity to some small extent. But convincing Herdy seems a great deal less of a travail than changing the minds of about fifty million Americans (about how many we would need to insure UHC, climate action, workable economic reform and a functional justice system).

Reality is that shit attracts flies the way print attracts lies, while bees lurk in flowers the way truth lurks in whispers, and we have to craft messaging with the power of lies in order to counter the disinformation. Sort of nudge the dialog around until FUHC (along with the other things) becomes self-evident.

Top Bottom
1 2