A literacy test given to black voters in the 1960s.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This response FTW
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 6.32.58 PM.png

U

User.45

I looked it up. It's just the third of it that was posted on Reddit.

Here's the whole 30 questions:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I looked it up. It's just the third of it that was posted on Reddit.

Here's the whole 30 questions:
JFC are you kidding me!?

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ignoring the idiocy of making people take a test to vote, question 18 in @P_X's link has several answers. I take "next" to mean following the numbers that are given, indicating that they placed the blank in a misleading spot. For example, if it was 3, 6, 9, __, 15, you might assume the blank should be 12, using multiples of 3. If it was the sum of the 2 previous numbers and they really wanted whatever comes after 15, it would be 24 (this isn't to say that more patterns could not exist). These kinds of questions don't necessarily have a single unambiguous answer, which makes calling something right or wrong completely ridiculous.

lizkat

Deep deep blue
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
tbh when I read now about how the Afghan Taliban are struggling to re-establish governance, because the Afghanistan they seek to govern now is not the Afghanistan of 25 years ago, Trump's hijacked GOP crosses my mind.

White supremacists of Trump's party, in seeming to strive policy-wise for dubious honor of becoming an "American Taliban", are up against not 25 or 50 but more than 150 years of American generational experience and relayed memories of the struggle for human and civil rights and the vigilance needed to maintain them.

The recent efforts of Trump-wing Republicans to make voting more difficult are a wakeup call against taking any of our understood American rights for granted. The further push now by the right against social contract investment is a reminder that it's not just "Democrats" in the GOP's crosshairs (and not just people of color). It's about women and any other group seen as potential threats to the old order of a white man's world. After all, it wasn't until 1968 that the last US state passed a law allowing women to serve as jurors, and the mid 70s in some states before women could get credit in their own name and control (not just own) real property.

The more difficult it is for people who are not white men to have agency in our economy, the more things revert to the bad old days when only white men ran this country. A lot of well meaning entities have got sucked into taking the wrong side in these budget arguments. Among them is the lobby for four-year colleges and universities, now engaged in trying to help the Rs ditch the idea of free two-year community college education for all Americans. The objection is being framed as based on lack of research that community college experience leads to success in the workplace.

The actual reason for that objection, however, is fear that free community college education will undermine viability of four-year colleges, and the four-year lobbyists are now touting reliance on Pell grants as a sufficiently successful way of educating more Americans.

Meanwhile the track record of Republicans in resisting expansion (or before that, the mere existence) of the Pell grants for university education is brushed aside... temporarily. Bottom line the GOP's track record for resisting aid to higher education for more Americans has been notorious.

Fear of the mere experience of diversity still runs really deep in this country, and the biggest threat to the old order is still a nonwhite kid with a library card.

Top Bottom