A Philosophy Thread

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are You A Solipsist?
I have known what I am for decades as far as philosophizing about my place in the Universe. In the big picture I describe myself as Agnostic, which in essence means I can’t know Jack about most things, particularly a supreme diety. I mean, I can think I know some things as far as is humanly possible, but the bottom line what I know, which is not much, are assumptions based on my brain’s interpretations.

ag•nos•tic ăg-nŏs′tĭk​

• n. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
  • n. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

So what is reality?
According to Morpheus, reality is simply electrical signals that your brain interprets, that comes from you senses that are also interpreting an input. :) <- for using a movie reference. This link discusses what is reality, and how we interpret reality, not on self awareness of one’s existence.

Recently I stumbled across the idea of solipsism, which surprisingly fits with not only the idea of Agnostic, but meshes nicely with a idea I‘ve verbalized for a long time, the Earth Simulator and spirituality. First there is the idea of a soul which may or may not be rejected. I’m not selling this for any purpose beyond intellectual conjecture. Secondly, the essence of the idea, is the soul that exists in another plane and though unknown mechanisms links to human body which subsequently serves as the vessel through which the soul intersects with this reality for as long as the body lasts. Upon mortal death the link to the soul is broken.

Solipsism seems to be controversial, being linked with egocentrism, but for my purposes I’m sticking with the highlighted definition. This fits hand in hand with Agnosticism. What I like about solipsism is the acknowledgment that what we can actually know based on our senses in this mortal existence is limited.

Solipsism
(sŏl′ĭp-sĭz′əm, sō′lĭp-)
n.
1. Philosophy The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified.
The view that the self is the only reality.
3. Absorption with oneself without consideration for the needs and desires of others: a self-indulgent memoir that revealed the author's solipsism.

Definition of solipsism​

: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing
also : extreme egocentrism

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not even willing to bet on the self as being the real thing. I might be the construct while the world around me is solid.
However everything you know is through your first hand perception. I and me, who am I? If self is not real, then there is nothing you can count on, unless it is an entity like the soul which might be a conduit to the real source of truth and existence and this “life” as we experience is a haze, the Earth Simulator or the Matrix. :)

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
However everything you know is through your first hand perception. I and me, who am I? If self is not real, then there is nothing you can count on, unless it is an entity like the soul which might be a conduit to the real source of truth and existence and this “life” as we experience is a haze, the Earth Simulator or the Matrix. :)
What if we are AI?

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
The meaning of Life?
  • Is it important that there be a meaning, a reason for your life?
  • If there is a meaning in your life what is it?
  • If you consider an infinite amount of time, and your existsence is composed of a relative nano-second flash, here and gone, never to return, and that includes everyone you have known during your life, would meaning have to include continued consciousness, or really why bother, who cares?
  • Think of it in these terms if the human species exists in a place where you don’t in ten thousand years, why should this be important to you? In the Grand Scheme of existence, how would the continuation of the human species make any difference to all those who have been here, and now gone?
I will propose that meaning must include learning, maturing, gaining wisdom. And that for those qualities to mean anything, you must be in a position make use of wisdom gained, otherwise the exercise is meaningless.

Therefore continued consciousness of your existence is required for there to be meaning that matters. Hence I tend to go with the idea of spirituality. And I’ll admit that the idea of meaning as I have described it is comforting, although since I have no say in the matter, I am able to deal with the idea of a future of oblivion without fear.

And I’m happy to entertain the idea that there is zero lasting meaning in this life, if you prefer that. :)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have to label myself as Agnostic as well. We are taught one thing in Sunday School and another in real school and they don't really match up.

So I went with the one that carried a grade. It was around this time that I found out that people actually believed everything you see was created in 6 days. Not a metaphoric 6 days but 6 actual earth days. My teenage brain couldn't wrap my head around that concept given what we were taught in science which was it took billions of years.

I also soon realized that church people were some of the most judgy people out there. When I would miss, there was always some older lady come up and say something like "We missed you last week". Not you didn't, you just wanted me to know that you know I wasn't there. I was done with church in my mid-teens. Although church camp was always fun and most of the activities would not have been approved of. Nothing like the preacher's daughter getting knocked up at church camp. :oops:

I do understand why there is religion. Before we knew why somethings happened, like a supermoon or comets showing up, it must have scared people for something like that to just appear and they had no idea why. So they leaned on religion and faith. I just couldn't ever get to the faith part. I tried at one time, but my brain wanted more logic and order. Do miracles happen, absolutely, but I suspect they are more related to odds and chance than deity intervention.

I don't think too much about my place in life. In 100 years there is going to be a whole new set of people (ok, there will still be a few centenarians, but not a statistically significant number), so my existence here is pretty much meaningless except to those around me. I try to do my best to be a positive influence in and on my community, to do the right thing leave the place better than when I found it. Even if just a little bit.

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have to label myself as Agnostic as well. We are taught one thing in Sunday School and another in real school and they don't really match up.

So I went with the one that carried a grade. It was around this time that I found out that people actually believed everything you see was created in 6 days. Not a metaphoric 6 days but 6 actual earth days. My teenage brain couldn't wrap my head around that concept given what we were taught in science which was it took billions of years.

I also soon realized that church people were some of the most judgy people out there. When I would miss, there was always some older lady come up and say something like "We missed you last week". Not you didn't, you just wanted me to know that you know I wasn't there. I was done with church in my mid-teens. Although church camp was always fun and most of the activities would not have been approved of. Nothing like the preacher's daughter getting knocked up at church camp. :oops:

I do understand why there is religion. Before we knew why somethings happened, like a supermoon or comets showing up, it must have scared people for something like that to just appear and they had no idea why. So they leaned on religion and faith. I just couldn't ever get to the faith part. I tried at one time, but my brain wanted more logic and order. Do miracles happen, absolutely, but I suspect they are more related to odds and chance than deity intervention.

I don't think too much about my place in life. In 100 years there is going to be a whole new set of people (ok, there will still be a few centenarians, but not a statistically significant number), so my existence here is pretty much meaningless except to those around me. I try to do my best to be a positive influence in and on my community, to do the right thing leave the place better than when I found it. Even if just a little bit.
The church camp I went to was very fun, made more fun by one of the (older 16ish) female councilors decided it was her mission to kiss the boys (13ish) in my cabin good night and it was not a kiss on the cheek, pretty amazing for this young lad. :D

Top Bottom