A wearable COVID tracker

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a radiation dosimeter badge- a passive device that changes color when exposed to concerning levels of radiation.

Definitely an interesting concept. I think people would definitely prefer that to digital methods that track location and proximity to others and depend on self reporting.

I guess the question would be is how well calibrated is it to detecting virus levels that would correlate to getting infected- and that could potentially vary strain to strain. The article says it detects sun-infectious levels- that debatably may cause more problems than it solves. But the test may not be able to be calibrated in such a way either depending on how it works. The other question is how well can it differentiate from other viruses or substances that could cause a false positive. Or could environmental factors yield the test inactive and how would you know? Cost and longevity would be the other factor, but it sounds like this would be reasonably inexpensive. I imagine it uses similar technology to the rapid tests (immunoassay).

With the initial study taking place in Jan-March 2021 and now what I presume are larger scale studies, I’m curious where things stand.

The FDA has extremely high standards when it comes to medical tests. I wonder if this could be expedited if it were somehow considered a tool to determine the use of already approved testing, lowering the bar of what’s required in the interest of bringing it to market faster. I kinda doubt it considering how rigid the FDA operates and new concepts often get tied up in regulatory issues based on rules with intentions that don’t necessarily apply.

I definitely think it could be a useful tool if calibrated correctly, especially for people at high risk of contact.

Top Bottom
1 2