A16 Bionic

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
From die photos, looks to me like the new e-cores are quite different. The photo is not very good, though, so I’ll be looking forward to better ones.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Is the GPU performance increase purely due to increased clocks and bandwidth? It is implied that the GPU's are the same size/layout.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the GPU performance increase purely due to increased clocks and bandwidth? It is implied that the GPU's are the same size/layout.

Hard to say. When they say “layout“ they don’t mean “layout“ the way that CPU designers mean it. The orientation and shape of the blocks does appear to be the same. The photos are not sufficiently sharp to allow anyone to tell if what’s inside the blocks is the same.

So far, though, I’d say that available evidence suggests that there is little new in the GPUs.

Of course, that tells us nothing about the M-series - there isn’t a lot of reason for apple to focus on GPU performance on iphones until there is a new use case that demands more performance.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
A bit less fuzzy than the above shot, and unannotated--not sure if I quite matched the two halves up:

1664132865073.png

Top Bottom
1 2