Abortion is illegal in Texas

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m just glad Abbott has somehow discovered the best way to eradicate rape.

I don’t understand the right’s obsession with abortion. I DO understand why some don’t think it’s a good option, and even though I disagree, I can understand why some think life starts at conception. What I don’t get, is a party who can’t even collectively admit the cops are wrong when they kneel on a black guy’s neck for twelve minutes and kill him, or bust into the wrong house and murder the tenants are so obsessed with the word “life”.

Seems to me to be more of a way to grandstand and talk about how holy they are. I’m pro-choice, not “pro-abortion”. The party whining about wearing a mask during a pandemic or getting a vaccine wants to tell a woman THEY have decided she must go through with her pregnancy, her decision or that of a doctor be damned. Just what we need, neighbors calling the police on their female neighbor who miscarried. Or someone who terminates a rape pregnancy and now has to deal with lawsuits or the cops on top of it.

We need to seriously wake up and realize that regardless of what we think of abortion, the only person who should be making any decisions is the woman who’s body were talking about.
The body autonomy argument nails it, period, argument closed, yet we see this BS coming from “Christians”. They even go as far as making up a false label for this bill to justify their malfeasance. And as you referenced, no problem murdering a citizen who is objecting to being suffocated, that’s justified. :oops: :cry:

Post in thread 'Abortion is illegal in Texas'
https://talkedabout.com/threads/abortion-is-illegal-in-texas.1920/post-61140

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been covered, but here's an article covering what supposedly led to all of this

In spring 2019, Mark Lee Dickson, the director of the anti-abortion group East Texas Right to Life, was sitting in one of the fast food restaurant’s local franchises, struggling to draft a piece of legislation that would help the city of Waskom, Texas, ban abortion. In need of some advice, he texted a Republican state senator who referred him to Jonathan Mitchell, a former law clerk of the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia who was running a one-man law practice. According to the Times, Dickson called Mitchell and the state Senate Republican from his car in the parking lot. During the three-way call, Mitchell suggested Dickson write in a provision that would prohibit the government from enforcing the abortion ban and instead empower private citizens to enforce the ban through civil lawsuits. (This is probably starting to sound familiar!) Though he’d proposed the idea in a 2018 law review article, he had not yet realized it through legislation.

Not long after their conversation, Waskom became the first city in Texas to declare itself a “sanctuary city for the unborn; the ordinance was passed unanimously by an all-male city council. Within months similar ordinances were implemented across Texas—usually in small, rural cities that didn’t have any abortion clinics to begin with. But soon enough the legal loophole at the heart of the ordinances—that is, the private enforcement mechanism—succeeded in getting a Planned Parenthood in Lubbock, Texas to stop providing abortions. The so-called “sanctuary cities” ordinances served as the theoretical and practical precedent for S.B. 8: They proved that it was legally possible to put into an effect a blatantly unconstitutional law, and that the threat of financial ruin (via lawsuits) could force abortion providers to comply.

I am suddenly now curious when I see people writing away in a Chik Fil A or Starbucks, what they are really up to.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been covered, but here's an article covering what supposedly led to all of this

I am suddenly now curious when I see people writing away in a Chik Fil A or Starbucks, what they are really up to.
I read the story on this guy. He sounds like a misanthrope. He was so unable to work with others that he ended up having to start a solo law firm. This is the person that wrote the GOP's most beloved law.

The cruelty is the point.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am still a little perplexed about the whole "six weeks" thing, as measured by "her last period". What if she tells them her period ended two or three weeks more recently than it actually did? Who will gainsay her?
The law is typically Right Wing inept with one purpose undermine the right to an abortion and body autonomy, your right to determine what happens to your body. Of note, those on the Christian Right decided to grant human embryos at basically conception personhood rights, their religious standard shoved down Texan throats. There is no such thing as religious freedom in the US.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I am still a little perplexed about the whole "six weeks" thing, as measured by "her last period". What if she tells them her period ended two or three weeks more recently than it actually did? Who will gainsay her?
Actually, the determinant is whether a "fetal heartbeat" can be detected. As I wrote previously, the only way to visualize cardiac activity in the early embryonic stage of pregnancy is ultrasound, preferably transvaginal. This usually happens around six weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period, but whether it's visible or not depends on a number of technical factors not directly related to gestational age. The great harm here is that most women are not aware that they are pregnant at six weeks — the only clue may be a missed period, for which there are multiple causes other than pregnancy. Then, too, if a woman experiences bleeding from implantation of the fertilized egg in the uterus, she may misinterpret that as a period, which makes it even less likely that she'll think she may be pregnant and get tested.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

I think woman should boycott sex till Texas dumps the new law​

Women Can Avoid Pregnancy With Sexual Abstinence, Texas Law Creator Preaches In Brief​

I’m kind of surprised he knows how babies are made.

Also, he completely ignores the lack of exceptions for rape or incest.

As discussed before, this guy is clearly a misanthrope.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

I think woman should boycott sex till Texas dumps the new law​

Women Can Avoid Pregnancy With Sexual Abstinence, Texas Law Creator Preaches In Brief​

And if you wear a filtered breathing device 24/7 or don’t breath, living in Cancer Alley is not a problem either, easily solutions are found in Texas. :oops:

DDC218B7-BF2C-40EC-A08F-3FECAECDD2DF.jpeg
Deer Park, Houston, Texas.
The deers all left…​

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
This is the kind of uphill battle truth and avoiding the religious zealots has in Texas.

PS Mom - if you’re kids are in middle school, they probably already know about it. And if they didn’t, they will now. So nice job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
A couple random people are suing the doctor who performed the abortion in Texas, under the new Texas law.

Oscar Stilley of Arkansas and Felipe Gomez of Illinois have filed lawsuits agains the doctor who performed the abortion.

What did the right-to-life folks have to say about this?

“Neither of these lawsuits are valid attempts to save innocent human lives,” said John Seago, legislative director for Texas Right to Life, the state’s largest anti-abortion group, which lobbied for the new abortion law. “Both cases are self-serving legal stunts, abusing the cause of action created in the Texas Heartbeat Act for their own purposes.”

He added that he and others at Texas Right to Life “believe Braid published his Op-Ed intending to attract imprudent lawsuits.”

What did they think would happen with a terrible law like this? Anybody who wants $10,000 can file suit and try their hand at this. It is extremely annoying to see the people who cheered when the law was passed now whining about people taking advantage of it.

Anybody suing another person for performing an abortion requested by the pregnant woman is being imprudent, or worse.

Quote from Mr. Stilley:

“I’m going to get an answer either way,” he said. “If this is a free-for-all, and it’s $10,000, I want my $10,000. And yes, I do aim to collect.”
Great job, Texas legislature and Gov. Abbott.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wasn’t one of them a former felon who wanted to make sure the case came up in court ASAP?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Wasn’t one of them a former felon who wanted to make sure the case came up in court ASAP?
Yes…

Mr. Braid wrote that on the morning of Sept. 6, he had “provided an abortion to a woman who, though still in her first trimester, was beyond the state’s new limit.”

After reading that, Mr. Stilley said he decided to file suit. His complaint includes a description of his own legal troubles, which he said included a federal conviction for tax evasion and conspiracy; he was released to home confinement after a decade in prison.

I wonder - could abortion clinics set up a scheme where lots of people sue them for $1, and they concede the lawsuit, thereby forcing Texas to pay them $10,000 each?

Top Bottom
1 2