Actor Diana Rigg has died, aged 82.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I read today of the death of Diana Rigg, the actor, aged 82, one of my favourite actors - whom I adored as a child, and respected and revered as an adult.

As a child, I adored her character of Emma Peel in The Avengers.

At the time, in the 60s, there weren't many roles where women could appear competent, accomplished, deadly in combat, entirely independent, and yet wonderfully stylish, and it was clear from The Avengers that she was completely equal to her colleague, John Steed, (played by the effortlessly elegant Patrick McNee, whom I also liked).

Actually, she was the first female character I ever saw on screen that I wished to emulate, or with whom I identified.

As a child, I wanted to be Emma Peel: (I mean, who wanted to be Truly Scrumptious, even if you did love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?)

Indeed, while playing Emma Peel with The Avengers, she discovered that she - a female lead - was paid less than the male cameraman, (and not just less than her male co-star, Patrick McNee); that led to a challenge, - which she won (and where she enjoyed McNee's full and enthusiastic support) - where she sought to be paid the same as her male colleagues for the role she played.

In the James Bond franchise, she played an excellent role as the only female love interest - in On Her Majesty's Secret Service - to have been Bond's clear physical, intellectual and social equal, the only woman to whom he was ever married.

However, she was also an accomplished stage actress, playing many roles with the RSC, and more recently, was a wonderfully waspish Lady Olenna Tyrell in the TV series, Game of Thrones.

RIP Diana Rigg. She rocked; what a wonderful role model.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
She will be missed. The Avengers was a show my entire family watched together when I was growing up, and it was no secret that my dad was in love with Emma Peel. Having found and married a man just like dear old dad, my husband was also in love with her. Even when she appeared on GOT as the wonderful Lady Tyrell, there was something both feisty and darling about the character. You just had to love her.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I read today of the death of Diana Rigg, the actor, aged 82, one of my favourite actors - whom I adored as a child, and respected and revered as an adult.

As a child, I adored her character of Emma Peel in The Avengers.

At the time, in the 60s, there weren't many roles where women could appear competent, accomplished, deadly in combat, entirely independent, and yet wonderfully stylish, and it was clear from The Avengers that she was completely equal to her colleague, John Steed, (played by the effortlessly elegant Patrick McNee, whom I also liked).

Actually, she was the first female character I ever saw on screen that I wished to emulate, or with whom I identified.

As a child, I wanted to be Emma Peel: (I mean, who wanted to be Truly Scrumptious, even if you did love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?)

Indeed, while playing Emma Peel with The Avengers, she discovered that she - a female lead - was paid less than the male cameraman, (and not just less than her male co-star, Patrick McNee); that led to a challenge, - which she won (and where she enjoyed McNee's full and enthusiastic support) - where she sought to be paid the same as her male colleagues for the role she played.

In the James Bond franchise, she played an excellent role as the only female love interest - in On Her Majesty's Secret Service - to have been Bond's clear physical, intellectual and social equal, the only woman to whom he was ever married.

However, she was also an accomplished stage actress, playing many roles with the RSC, and more recently, was a wonderfully waspish Lady Olenna Tyrell in the TV series, Game of Thrones.

RIP Diana Rigg. She rocked; what a wonderful role model.
Well said. 👏🏼

Oddball piece of trivia I didn’t know until a few years ago. The producers of The Avengers wanted their new female lead to be eye candy for guys. Production notes said that they wanted to cast someone with “m appeal” (male appeal). Thus came the name: Emma Peel.

And Mr. Macnee has always, always been a class act. That part about him sticking up for Diana Rigg sounds so like him.

It is indeed sad she’s gone. But she was undeniably a major role model for girls and young women. Like “Steed”, also a class act.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
emma peel.
one of the first feminist tv personalities.

a few months back i tried and failed to find a place to watch The Avengers on line.
so i settled for The Prisoner.

Ah, The Prisoner.

Yes: I also loved The Prisoner, and both of my brothers remembered to commiserate with me when Patrick McGoohan (whom I also adored) died a few years ago.

Those opening credits.....

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ah, The Prisoner.

Yes: I also loved The Prisoner, and both of my brothers remembered to commiserate with me when Patrick McGoohan (whom I also adored) died a few years ago.

Those opening credits.....

That Caterham Super 7 :D

What a fantastic, thought provoking, silly, fun show. On a trip to the UK, I took the time to drive to Wales and visit Portmeirion where it was filmed, and yes, I ran down the beach McGoohan style (he had a very distinctive gate), though I wasn't being tracked down by Rover :D

I have a neat print I got framed from Portmeirion, hanging in the bedroom. Huge fan of the show, I still have my DVD set, though I mostly gave away our DVDs.

Found a fun local to that area pub that day, hung out with a bunch of locals, umm, that's about all I can say about it :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Diana Rigg was just fantastic, I've watched quite a few Avengers, though mostly know her from her later work, including her amazing work on GOT, what an amazing character, and only someone with her history and moxie could've played Lady Olenna Tyrell, her last moments on the show are one of my favorite scenes of the entire run.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I came across this on YT. I even know where the poster got this piece. I have the same cut on an LP somewhere. It’s the best version of The Avengers theme ever.

Top Bottom
1 2