Admired photographers and their work

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here
OP
citypix

citypix

Power User
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I admire Jay Maisel and Fan Ho for their work, their approaches to photography and even life. These interviews are my favourites.

Creative Longevity - Doug Menuez interviewing Douglas Kirkland, Duane Michals, Jay Maisel and Mary Ellen Mark (click to play on Vimeo)

An Evening With Fan Ho

I love and am inspired by Fan Ho's photography! I was lucky to get to know him a little when Modern Book was representing him in downtown Palo Alto, around 15 years ago. Here's a quick portrait I made of him with some of his photographs up in Modern Books's gallery loft.

Fan Ho 3-4-05.jpg

chengengaun

Slightly Confused
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love and am inspired by Fan Ho's photography! I was lucky to get to know him a little when Modern Book was representing him in downtown Palo Alto, around 15 years ago. Here's a quick portrait I made of him with some of his photographs up in Modern Books's gallery loft.

Fan Ho 3-4-05.jpg
Lovely! The interview was held in Modern Book.

OP
citypix

citypix

Power User
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I admire Jay Maisel and Fan Ho for their work, their approaches to photography and even life. These interviews are my favourites.

Creative Longevity - Doug Menuez interviewing Douglas Kirkland, Duane Michals, Jay Maisel and Mary Ellen Mark (click to play on Vimeo)

An Evening With Fan Ho

I just finished watching the Fan Ho interview - thanks for posting it! It was great seeing him happy and joyful, soaking in the limelight he deserved, and having a good time. Loved the twinkle in his eye and humor.

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of O. Winston Link.

His photographs were both technically challenging and well composed in a way that draws me in and lets me spend hours looking at one, and by and large are around a subject of great interest to me(rail photography, or more specifically the last days of steam power on the N&W railroad). It doesn't hurt that his rail photos were in/around the Shenandoah Valley, New River Gorge, and other Va, WVa, and NC mountain locations.

All and all just an incredible photographer, although one who had a quiet but sad last decade of life quite literally locked in his darkroom by his much younger wife who wanted him to keep turning out prints for money reasons.

I'd love to own an original O.W. Link print, but for the latter reason I have some ethical hang-ups about ever owning one of his late prints even if, IMO, they were some of his best after years of basically perfecting printing some of his most well known negatives.

OP
citypix

citypix

Power User
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of O. Winston Link.

His photographs were both technically challenging and well composed in a way that draws me in and lets me spend hours looking at one, and by and large are around a subject of great interest to me(rail photography, or more specifically the last days of steam power on the N&W railroad). It doesn't hurt that his rail photos were in/around the Shenandoah Valley, New River Gorge, and other Va, WVa, and NC mountain locations.

All and all just an incredible photographer, although one who had a quiet but sad last decade of life quite literally locked in his darkroom by his much younger wife who wanted him to keep turning out prints for money reasons.

I'd love to own an original O.W. Link print, but for the latter reason I have some ethical hang-ups about ever owning one of his late prints even if, IMO, they were some of his best after years of basically perfecting printing some of his most well known negatives.

I like his work as well. His photographs ooze drama, mystery, and gravitas.

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here
Top Bottom