Adobe Creative Suite (PS and LR) Subscription

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wondering how many others subscribe to this, IMO it's a great bang for the buck if you plan to use it regularly. I pretty much live in Lightroom Classic and only use PS for resizing but it's nice to have it all there and available.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I do.

Haven’t been using it enough these last few years to really justify it but I really hope to get back into soon. Hopefully very soon. Maybe should consider alternatives but that darn LR (Classic) got me hooked.

I’ve been meaning to look into non-classic and the iPad version and figure out some kind of workflow.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I subscribe, and also separate subscriptions for Lightroom and acrobat pro. I use Lightroom classic and Photoshop quite a bit.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Wondering how many others subscribe to this, IMO it's a great bang for the buck if you plan to use it regularly. I pretty much live in Lightroom Classic and only use PS for resizing but it's nice to have it all there and available.
Yup. I hate the subscription model. Used to own LR standalone for years, but eventually has to subscribe. I don’t use it enough at the moment as I’m too busy with work.
But I’m also too lazy to learn some different software!

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
I have an older stand alone version of Photoshop and use it all the time. Mostly it's used for editing photos but occasionally for making other graphics.

I have a newish Mac Mini M1 that I may or may not get Adobe's photography subscription (PS & LR) to use because it is indeed a relatively good deal......but I might switch to Afinity's photo editor program since it's not a subscription burden

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
PS and LR? Not I..... Years ago I used Photoshop but always felt that it was really overkill for my simple approach to editing. When Lightroom came along it was at the same time that Aperture was also making its debut, so guess which program I chose? How unfortunate for me and many others that Apple later decided to discontinue Aperture....

A few years ago when I knew that I had to do something, find an alternative to Aperture, I tried out various programs, including the often-recommended Capture One, but as with PS, I found it way more than I really needed or wanted. Finally I tried DXO PhotoLab and found something that actually seemed workable for me and which felt intuitive in some ways. I've stuck with it ever since and am quite happy with it, as it does what I want and gets me to where I want to go with my images. I also appreciate that unlike Lightroom, C1 and other programs it doesn't force me into some sort of "catalog," and that I can put my image files wherever I choose and move them around freely, if need be.

I love the experience of being out there with the camera and shooting....that's where the magic is for me. I DON'T love what follows: post-processing, culling, editing....

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
PS and LR? Not I..... Years ago I used Photoshop but always felt that it was really overkill for my simple approach to editing. When Lightroom came along it was at the same time that Aperture was also making its debut, so guess which program I chose? How unfortunate for me and many others that Apple later decided to discontinue Aperture....

A few years ago when I knew that I had to do something, find an alternative to Aperture, I tried out various programs, including the often-recommended Capture One, but as with PS, I found it way more than I really needed or wanted. Finally I tried DXO PhotoLab and found something that actually seemed workable for me and which felt intuitive in some ways. I've stuck with it ever since and am quite happy with it, as it does what I want and gets me to where I want to go with my images. I also appreciate that unlike Lightroom, C1 and other programs it doesn't force me into some sort of "catalog," and that I can put my image files wherever I choose and move them around freely, if need be.

I love the experience of being out there with the camera and shooting....that's where the magic is for me. I DON'T love what follows: post-processing, culling, editing....
Also one who enjoys photography but hates the editing process. Probably because I spend to much of my life sat in front of the screen already.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Also one who enjoys photography but hates the editing process. Probably because I spend to much of my life sat in front of the screen already.
I've learned that post processing is a key component to taking things to the next level. Of course, it has to start with a good photo and then giving it the wow factor is the next step, it's the difference between a really good photo and an awesome photo. I'm just talking about touching up, color correction, proper use of masks, etc. It's rare that I'll ever modify by adding or removing artifacts.

I think of it like producing music, there's a difference between hearing a great band in a garage and having a well produced mixdown. Once I learned the process it's made my online presence triple.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I've learned that post processing is a key component to taking things to the next level. Of course, it has to start with a good photo and then giving it the wow factor is the next step, it's the difference between a really good photo and an awesome photo. I'm just talking about touching up, color correction, proper use of masks, etc. It's rare that I'll ever modify by adding or removing artifacts.

I think of it like producing music, there's a difference between hearing a great band in a garage and having a well produced mixdown. Once I learned the process it's made my online presence triple.
I appreciate that and can see the benefits. But I try and get as much as I can right in the camera. That way I’m on the computer less! Speaking of which I really should get on with my day job. Not feeling it today.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
I swear by Affinity Photo, but you might need to look into a Lightroom alternative if you plan on making the switch, since AP doesn't quite match what it can do.
Same here. 👍

I used to subscribe to Photoshop and Illustrator — never used Lightroom.

I gave it up last year and have now moved to Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer.

Sure the pain moving from something I had known the past 3 decades was a bother, but I managed and quite frankly now I almost — almost — never find myself trying to do something that was either easier or only available in Photoshop.
Most of the extra stuff in Photoshop — 3D etc I never used in any case.

So Adobe free. 👍

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
...Sure the pain moving from something I had known the past 3 decades was a bother....

That's clearly why I haven't switched to Affinity...yet...even though I own a copy of of the program.

For a long time my main use of photoshop was as a tool for creating presentation renderings for projects, but now most of that is done with the rendering functions of a CAD program (boring!), so now my use of photoshop has a lot more to do with photos.....but ongoing changes in computer technology have brought me to the point where I'm going to switch or I'll have to subscribe

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
but I might switch to Afinity's photo editor program since it's not a subscription burden
I started using it last year. There’s a fair learning curve because while you can do many of the same things, the workflow is different.

And there are a few maddening bugs they haven’t worked out yet, like occasional random jagged edges on borders drawn and cut with their lasso or pen tools (a lot of questions on the internet about that one), or actions that make you hit the button five times before they “take”.

The one that I used a lot in PS that you just can’t do in Affinity is record an action that copies one layer and then pastes it into a different document. There is no Affinity counterpart. I have to copy and paste manually, step by step. Oh, and there’s no quick and easy sharpening tool; you have to go the Unsharp Mask route.

Still, it was well worth it. Adobe’s subscription model is a luxury I can’t afford. Stand-alone CS6 did everything I needed it to do, and if it ran on newer Macs I’d still be using it. But Affinity has turned out to be a decent substitute.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I started using it last year. There’s a fair learning curve because while you can do many of the same things, the workflow is different.

And there are a few maddening bugs they haven’t worked out yet, like occasional random jagged edges on borders drawn and cut with their lasso or pen tools (a lot of questions on the internet about that one), or actions that make you hit the button five times before they “take”.

The one that I used a lot in PS that you just can’t do in Affinity is record an action that copies one layer and then pastes it into a different document. There is no Affinity counterpart. I have to copy and paste manually, step by step. Oh, and there’s no quick and easy sharpening tool; you have to go the Unsharp Mask route.

Still, it was well worth it. Adobe’s subscription model is a luxury I can’t afford. Stand-alone CS6 did everything I needed it to do, and if it ran on newer Macs I’d still be using it. But Affinity has turned out to be a decent substitute.
I typically feel the same way for these sorts of subscriptions, if I didn't use LRC several times a week there's no way I would do it. PS is a nice have as it comes with the suite but 99.9% of the time I only use it to resize and export for web.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I am, in general, not a fan of subscriptions, but I've been subscribing to the LR/PS option for a number of years now and I find a great benefit to every LR update.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I do. Having used LR since the beginning 15 years ago, I was pretty steamed when Adobe went subscription. I finally bit the bullet and subscribed around three years ago.

Overall I'm happy with its value. There isn't a combo DAM/Editor that's better, IMO. And even if there were, there's no way I could convert my large (100K+) image library of RAWs along with my non-destructive edits to another system automatically. And doing that manually would be practically impossible.

Also, having used LR for so long, editing images is pretty much a muscle memory process taking very little time. It would be a shame losing that. I've also been pleased with the improvements and features Adobe has added to LR since going subscription.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2