Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher V2.0 released for Mac and iPad

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was asking @Renzatic about the best bang for the buck for photo editing apps for Winders, got into a discussion about Affinity Photo, and the upcoming V2.0 release.

Got an announcement via email today about the 2.0 versions of these apps, the the new versions are $69, on sale for $40, but check out this killer deal. For $99 you get V2.0 of Designer, Photo and Publisher for Windows, MacOS __and__ iPadOS! Even for non-Windows users, the 3 apps for both Mac and iPad (6 apps total), is stellar, and Publisher is new for iPad.

1668114857696.png

And for the folks who dislike subscription based software, Affinity continues to be an outright purchase. :)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yesterday I purchased Affinity Publisher 2.0 for $40. Looking forward to making some photo books.

In the past I used In Design for that, which is an excellent program. But now being subscription for $21/mo I'm not going back.

Will definitely have a learning curve getting as comfortable with AP as I was with ID.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Since I wanted these for Windows AND Mac AND iPad, which means $276 vs. $99, the Universal License was a no-brainer:

1668136172431.png

As I was telling Renz, I was a Pixelmator user, but never updated to the Pro, and now I'm on a PC quite a bit (again), I not only needed a Photo editing app, but preferred something that was cross platform (vs. switching between two different apps), so this is perfect for me (and Daughter will love Designer and Photos on the iPad Pro).

Look at all the goodies :)

1668136342905.png

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
I bought them too , I really enjoyed the updates and want to support a company who has provided many good solid updates to affinity photo offer the past 5 years.
Version 2 is definitely more polished.

However… I recently came back to Adobe photography plan, because try as I might with capture one, I wanted to be able to use a workflow across my Mac and iPad.
The recent AI improvements to Lightroom and photoshop are game changing. I really hope that affinity borrows some of these ideas such as smart object detection ai masking. It’s really hard to go back having had access to that for my photos in Lightroom.

The other thing I wish that serif would introduce is a DAM tool. I used to want s Lightroom alternative but now I think I’m looking for something more like Adobe bridge so that assets are easier to manage across affinity designer and publisher too.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I bought them too , I really enjoyed the updates and want to support a company who has provided many good solid updates to affinity photo offer the past 5 years.
Version 2 is definitely more polished.

However… I recently came back to Adobe photography plan, because try as I might with capture one, I wanted to be able to use a workflow across my Mac and iPad.
The recent AI improvements to Lightroom and photoshop are game changing. I really hope that affinity borrows some of these ideas such as smart object detection ai masking. It’s really hard to go back having had access to that for my photos in Lightroom.

The other thing I wish that serif would introduce is a DAM tool. I used to want s Lightroom alternative but now I think I’m looking for something more like Adobe bridge so that assets are easier to manage across affinity designer and publisher too.

I've pretty much resigned myself to sticking with a Lightroom subscription. The latest AI-based masking tools are pretty much magic and will keep me in the $10/month camp. It took me around 2-3 years to convert to a subscription.

Also... having used Lightroom since the beginning and having a huge number of non-destructively processed RAW image files, moving those over to a different DAM and editor while preserving/converting my original LR edits going back 16 years is pretty much an impossibility. And there's no way I'm going to re-edit from scratch the original many thousands of RAWs using a different editor.

So...the good news is Adobe continues to delight with excellent Lightroom updates and I'll pay the $10/month. They got me.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I've pretty much resigned myself to sticking with a Lightroom subscription. The latest AI-based masking tools are pretty much magic and will keep me in the $10/month camp. It took me around 2-3 years to convert to a subscription.

Also... having used Lightroom since the beginning and having a huge number of non-destructively processed RAW image files, moving those over to a different DAM and editor while preserving/converting my original LR edits going back 16 years is pretty much an impossibility. And there's no way I'm going to re-edit from scratch the original many thousands of RAWs using a different editor.

So...the good news is Adobe continues to delight with excellent Lightroom updates and I'll pay the $10/month. They got me.
Same here, I basically live in it most days.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
For the last three days I've been playing around with Affinity Publisher 2. And while I still have a ton to learn (coming from Adobe In Design ten years ago for other book projects), I'm starting to get the hang of it. So far so good.

I decided to start a small Alcatraz photo book project just to keep it feeling real as I go forward learning the program.

In the past I've taken a few photo treks to Alcatraz penitentiary; two of which were 3 day/2 night visits. And 3 or 4 others were single day visits. From those treks I've accumulated a large number of photos to draw from.

So far I have a structure for a 40 page tabloid 11x17 inch Wire-O bound book. Right now I've dumped a bunch of random photos onto the pages with a bit of dummy text to get a feel of how the program works and how a book might look and evolve. Still have a long ways to go picking photos, with the goal of getting a rhythm going that hopefully tells a story. I'm guessing it will take a couple months and getting a few book prototypes made along the way that I can hold in my hands to evaluate and make changes.

Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 3.59.11 PM.png

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
I've had Photo for a while now, so I've bought the V2 package.

I'm still using photoshop CS6 tho......there are other apps I need for work, necessary stuff that never made the leap to be compatible with Apple's current OS, so I've been keeping an old iMac alive. And since CS6 does what I need, I've continued to use it.

I've also got a mac mini that I'm using more and more, and that's where the Affinity apps are being used

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have Affinity Photo on a Mac and a PC. Having just gotten used to the interface I have no interest in learning "a completely revamped UI." Hopefully version 1 will continue to work for the next few OS versions as it meets my rather straightforward needs.

Top Bottom
1 2