Afghanistan (Again)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
A good percentage of the few hundred Americans left behind have dual citizenship and I guarantee none of them are named Brad Whitman or something similar, but that's what the sudden bleeding heart Republicans are picturing, some blonde haired blue eyed guy running through the streets in his AC/DC t-shirt dodging bullets.

Also they were told at least several times we are planning to evacuate going as far back as March.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I encountered some folks asserting that Joe the President was, by abandoning all that military hardware, guilty of treason (i.e., giving aid and comfort to our enemy). I felt that this
FA39E753-1068-40F5-BB89-75D9123BC29D.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I encountered some folks asserting that Joe the President was, by abandoning all that military hardware, guilty of treason (i.e., giving aid and comfort to our enemy). I felt that this
I just remind them that all that hardware was given to the Afgans by the previous administrations. He didn’t leave behind anything that belonged to us.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

This one nails the point home a little better, I think.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
To all the war hawk politicians, media, and generals trying to promote the idea that the Taliban are preventing US citizens from leaving Afghanistan, can you explain what their motivation would be? Are they afraid once they get back to the west they are going to share experiences that would ruin the overwhelmingly positive press the Taliban is currently getting in the west? They want an excuse for the world’s attention to be focused on them long-term? Perhaps they already miss the good ol days of retaliatory drone strikes?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Senator Individual-ONEs-number-one-ass-licker says we will have to go back into Afghanistan to kill more terrists. Because lessons go unlearned (and that thing Einstein said about insanity).
So does this mean you get a terrible disease by licking Donny’s ass or was it disease that made you lick in the first place? I’m going with the latter. :unsure:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
This sudden interest in Afghanistan is something I dislike about the media. I saw the same type of thing during the 2016 election. Every day, new revelations about illegal business practices by Trump, sexual assault charges, racist statements, misogynist statements, etc. But they dropped all of it when there was news that Hillary Clinton may have emailed somebody using her personal email account when she was Secretary of State… seriously?

Ignore the years of war, but get all upset because the withdrawal of troops wasn’t calm and orderly. Or blame Biden for the fact that 20 years of occupation didn’t do anything to shore up the Afghan military. And all the talking heads they brought on in the immediate aftermath of the withdrawal were people actively involved in the failed policies of the last 20 years. Of COURSE they will be critical of Biden and defend the policies. But if you think about it for a couple minutes, you would realize that if their policies were effective, the government wouldn’t have collapsed within a week of American troops leaving.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This sudden interest in Afghanistan is something I dislike about the media. I saw the same type of thing during the 2016 election. Every day, new revelations about illegal business practices by Trump, sexual assault charges, racist statements, misogynist statements, etc. But they dropped all of it when there was news that Hillary Clinton may have emailed somebody using her personal email account when she was Secretary of State… seriously?

Ignore the years of war, but get all upset because the withdrawal of troops wasn’t calm and orderly. Or blame Biden for the fact that 20 years of occupation didn’t do anything to shore up the Afghan military. And all the talking heads they brought on in the immediate aftermath of the withdrawal were people actively involved in the failed policies of the last 20 years. Of COURSE they will be critical of Biden and defend the policies. But if you think about it for a couple minutes, you would realize that if their policies were effective, the government wouldn’t have collapsed within a week of American troops leaving.

Going back even further I heard there was a combined grand total of 24 minutes covering Afghanistan over the past 5 years.

If there was any justice most of the people they have put in front of the camera as experts should be there responding to criminal charges, not the least of which is fraud.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Or blame Biden for the fact that 20 years of occupation didn’t do anything to shore up the Afghan military.

That should be the question being asked. Not the part about blaming Biden, but why the Afghan military was so poorly prepared. I mean we had men and women who were basically volunteers taking bullets for these guys, yet the guys who should have stepped up to defend their own country were cowards. Why are the US and UK and German and a few other forces braver defending someone else's country vs the people who should be defending, or in this case not defending, their own country? They should have at least been equals to The Taliban and certainly better equipped.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That should be the question being asked. Not the part about blaming Biden, but why the Afghan military was so poorly prepared. I mean we had men and women who were basically volunteers taking bullets for these guys, yet the guys who should have stepped up to defend their own country were cowards. Why are the US and UK and German and a few other forces braver defending someone else's country vs the people who should be defending, or in this case not defending, their own country? They should have at least been equals to The Taliban and certainly better equipped.

They didn't stop fighting because they were cowards. They stopped fighting because the government we supported and left them with wasn't worth fighting for, epic scale corruption and extortion. And honestly that region was created into countries by the west and Afghanistan in particular has been used to play live amo cold war games for the past half century. Not really a lot to fight for other than being left the fuck alone for more than 5 minutes. The people who tolerated the Taliban previously said they did so because at least they got peace and order. The US brought them western "values" which were only really appreciated in the cities and most of the population doesn't live in the cities. They're more concerned about having a bomb dropped on their head than going to school. So from the US they got death, corruption, extortion, and "Go to college and solve all your problems!". Sounds about right.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Hey, another “expert” who thinks we were only in Afghanistan for the last month and nothing of note happened over the previous 20 years.
Remember how outraged the right-wingers were at the "General Betray Us" ad in 2007, accusing him of lying to keep the Afghan war going? Even some Democrats were scared to go against him, because saying anything bad about any of "the troops" is supposedly political suicide.

And then, when it turned out he was having an affair with a junior officer in 2011/12, the same right-wingers acted super-offended?

But I guess now both sides are ok with him coming back as an "expert" even though if it wasn't for him "cooking the books" for Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld, we might have gotten out of the war in 2007.

Disgusting, and shame on CBS for running this interview... and for Major Garrett for tossing him softballs and treating him like an f-ing genius.

D

Deleted member 215

Anyone interested in Afghanistan, the war, the Taliban, and the plight of women there should read this recent article from The New Yorker:

Yes, it's long, but it's worth the read IMO.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Anyone interested in Afghanistan, the war, the Taliban, and the plight of women there should read this recent article from The New Yorker:

An excellent, informed, intelligent and thoughtful piece, and one well worth reading.

Thank you for sharing the link, and for drawing my attention to it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Hey, another “expert” who thinks we were only in Afghanistan for the last month and nothing of note happened over the previous 20 years.

Petraeus made some valid points in that podcast, although the real takeaway for me regarding Petraeus is not from that podcast, rather from Coll's Directorate S book, where it was noted per a number of interviewees that Petraeus had trouble transferring his mindset (or even sometimes his attention) from how things had worked in Iraq to how things worked in Afghanistan, after Obama asked him to take over in Afghanistan when McChrystal was fired in 2010 over the Rolling Stone piece.

So much was so different in the two venues: the histories of the two countries immediately preceding the two invasions, local and national senses of politics, existing infrastructure and economies, relationships of ethnic groups and tribes, considerations of near neighbors and proxies in the two regions. Counterterrorism tactics were less effective in Afghanistan where allegiances shifted like the wind in the rural provinces.

Petraeus, while right in saying "Afghanistan was not Vietnam" (when he was suggesting it was not necessary to leave Afghanistan at all) pretty much glossed over the fact that it wasn't Iraq either, even if while in Iraq he had thought he could transplant some of what had worked in much of Iraq to any of Afghanistan outside the cities.

Start with Pakistan being a way different complicating factor for NATO and the USA in particular, compared to how and why Iran had played with more subtlety and patience in southern Iraq. The matter of the USA crossing into Pakistan to get bin Laden without notice was never going to go away, not for Pakistani citizens and not for its intelligence services. That that was the case only pointed up the more severe underlying problem of how Pakistan had played "the Taliban card" differently depending on whether it was Pakistani or Afghan Taliban behavior under discussion with the USA advisors.

And the presence of so many USA "advisors" became another sticking point, to where remarks were passed along lines of "do you think we are stupid enough to think that you need 300 people here in Pakistan with diplomatic visas?" The Raymond Davis incident likely ruptured value of Pakistani-CIA relationships to the USA, and so reduced intel we needed independent of what we learned on the ground in Afghanistan.

For awhile I too thought that it would have been better if peacekeepers stayed in Afghanistan for the foreseeable future. But it was impossible, really. The killing of an American soldier by an Afghan army trainee was problematic every time it occurred, and there were already months when those killings were the bulk of American losses. Out in the boondocks Afghans were war-weary, tired of having to figure out whether the best way to stay alive today was side with the Taliban, the local warlord currently supported by the village elders, or the Americans offering help from a different warlord or their own resources.

The culture differences persisted in making American presence unwelcome, e.g. our soldiers' use of vulgarities and casual locker room type congratulatory pats on the ass of a male comrade after a successful incident vs the enemy are viewed as deeply insulting in Afghan culture. Once it became known that the USA was looking to get out, how long could it take for the Taliban to start looking pretty good, at least in the more conservative boondocks?

The Taliban also had more money than warlords already paying taxes to the Taliban for their piece of the poppy harvest or assorted smuggling operations. None of this was going to make Afghans feel the love if the USA stayed there forever, even given the needed bloat to the Afghan economy while we remained.

How long would Petraeus want guys with some other uniform running things in his hometown either in the background or right up front? Twenty years was a long time already for Afghans to experience that in the context of losing their own sons to the fray by the tens of thousands each year. And the fact that the national government was so corrupt they weren't even supplying the soldiers with bullets or paychecks had to be the last straw, once Afghan soldiers heard the US figured to cut off the money flow and just pack up and leave.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Thanks for the article. It is really sad to see the cost of the war for innocent people in Afghanistan.

If Americans were angry, shocked, and wanting to punish somebody after a single day of attacks on 9/11/01, what do the people of Afghanistan think about America after the past 20 years?

“My daughter wakes up screaming that the Americans are coming,” Pazaro said. “We have to keep talking to her softly, and tell her, ‘No, no, they won’t come back.’ ”

Top Bottom
1 2