Airless tires are coming

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I’m not a car person at all but this I can get excited about. I think flat or blown tires is probably one of the most experienced car issues people experience and the cause of countless accidents or making an accident worse.

Now that is a fascinating design. I like it!

Can you put baseball cards in the slots?

floridakilos

Reaction score
The annoying thing about nails is that you never notice them until the next morning when your tire is flat. Completely obnoxious. I once woke up to a flat tire in the morning, swapped to the spare, and that was flat too.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Should we be concerned about kickback from the compressed air lobby? I don't know if keeping Ted Cruz's and freshman Republican Congress members' empty skull cavities from collapsing is enough to compensate for the loss of tires. Probably close, but not quite enough.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The annoying thing about nails is that you never notice them until the next morning when your tire is flat. Completely obnoxious. I once woke up to a flat tire in the morning, swapped to the spare, and that was flat too.

Yeah, someone had asked about cars with Apps, you know, that do things like allow you to check the air pressure, but I guess the current TPMS sensor tech doesn't allow them to run all the time (plus you'd need some kind of "keep awake", and like even my Tesla goes to sleep and doesn't push notifications).

I've had a few rides with runflats in the past, they're really more of a "hopefully run a little further till you can get it fixed", the tires posted above are basically no flats / no service needs.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I've had a few rides with runflats in the past, they're really more of a "hopefully run a little further till you can get it fixed", the tires posted above are basically no flats / no service needs.

Not sold on run-flats. Had to replace the tires on my daughter's car and it had run-flats. So researching I learned there are several types. Hers are basically tires pre-filled with Slime. I should have saved $200 and bought her a can of fix a flat. They will be fine for nails and small punctures, but rip the sidewall open on one of the storm drains in Savannah and they will be useless.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not sold on run-flats. Had to replace the tires on my daughter's car and it had run-flats. So researching I learned there are several types. Hers are basically tires pre-filled with Slime. I should have saved $200 and bought her a can of fix a flat. They will be fine for nails and small punctures, but rip the sidewall open on one of the storm drains in Savannah and they will be useless.
Unfortunately, when I got my car a few months ago I had no choice. The BMW hybrid I leased doesn't have room for even a small spare, which I would have preferred.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when I got my car a few months ago I had no choice. The BMW hybrid I leased doesn't have room for even a small spare, which I would have preferred.

Same with her GLA. No room for a spare.

I believe most BMW's use the self-supporting version of a run flat vs. the air-sealing version in her GLA. Better tech, but also more expensive to replace.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thought my tesla had a leaky tire today. Turns out it has a small crack on the inside edge of the rim. Could use one of those airless tires right about now.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I got a low tire pressure warning today. I cannot tell which tire it is… they all seem fine. Gotta get a pressure gauge….

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I got a low tire pressure warning today. I cannot tell which tire it is… they all seem fine. Gotta get a pressure gauge….
My Sienna has the low pressure warning. It goes on, I check them all, none are low, so I reset it.

I have analog tire pressure gauges in each car, but they all read just a little different. At this point, I just get them to within 2 lbs and call it good.

Stuff like this always takes me back to high school physics and the difference between precision, accuracy and how to use your tools.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My Sienna has the low pressure warning. It goes on, I check them all, none are low, so I reset it.

Did you check the spare? Some have sensors as well. My wife's LR4 did and it was always low and I rarely filled it because you have to lower it down from underneath. PITA so we ignored it and we could because she carried a small compressor.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Did you check the spare? Some have sensors as well. My wife's LR4 did and it was always low and I rarely filled it because you have to lower it down from underneath. PITA so we ignored it and we could because she carried a small compressor.
Haha, no, for the same reason you didn’t. It’s a pain.

Top Bottom
1 2