Alternatives to banning

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was trying to think of some outside the box punishments that wouldn't exclude bad behavior members from the forum but instead make their experience for their punishment period a little less enjoyable. I'm not a programmer so I don't even know if this is possible, but just some ideas.

Tourettes Tier. The member can still post but automatically sentences like "Put 3 fingers in your butt!" and "I eat my salty buggers, yum." will be randomly inserted in their post and they won't be able to edit them out.

Nad Supported Tier. They can still post but pictures of men's balls will display between posts like advertisements.

Filling the Swamp Tier. They can still post but a graphic of sewage will start rising to the top until it fills the browser and the only way to get rid of it is to refresh and then it starts again.

Alternative Facts Tier: Everything they read and post will be in a wingdings font.

Those are just some ideas. I'm sure we can think of more.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
This forum comes with a "discourage" feature (in vBulletin they called it "tachy goes to coventry") which, when applied to s specific user, will ruin their experience in any forum you choose by causing slow page loads, time outs, re-directs, blank pages, etc.

Basically, it's designed for troubled users who repeatedly create new accounts, won't stop spamming your board, etc. and it's flat out mean, in fact I've never used it on anyone but as a last defense it's nice to know it's there if I had to.

PearsonX

Site Champ
Reaction score
This forum comes with a "discourage" feature (in vBulletin they called it "tachy goes to coventry") which, when applied to s specific user, will ruin their experience in any forum you choose by causing slow page loads, time outs, re-directs, blank pages, etc.

Basically, it's designed for troubled users who repeatedly create new accounts, won't stop spamming your board, etc. and it's flat out mean, in fact I've never used it on anyone but as a last defense it's nice to know it's there if I had to.
W-w-wait. This feature really exists?:)

Alli

Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score

I would use that as the penultimate defense, with banning as the final defense.

Scepticalscribe

Staff member
Reaction score
I was trying to think of some outside the box punishments that wouldn't exclude bad behavior members from the forum but instead make their experience for their punishment period a little less enjoyable. I'm not a programmer so I don't even know if this is possible, but just some ideas.

Tourettes Tier. The member can still post but automatically sentences like "Put 3 fingers in your butt!" and "I eat my salty buggers, yum." will be randomly inserted in their post and they won't be able to edit them out.

Nad Supported Tier. They can still post but pictures of men's balls will display between posts like advertisements.

Filling the Swamp Tier. They can still post but a graphic of sewage will start rising to the top until it fills the browser and the only way to get rid of it is to refresh and then it starts again.

Alternative Facts Tier: Everything they read and post will be in a wingdings font.

Those are just some ideas. I'm sure we can think of more.

I must say that I like the way your mind works.

This goes beyond mildly punitive into something seriously creative.

Top Bottom