Amazon Fake Reviews

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
There are private Telegram groups with thousands of users where sellers and “buyers” can get in touch with each other to post fake 5-star reviews of products in exchange for freebies and/or cash. And those were real first world users, with specific hobbies, so that they can write consistent reviews.

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is a well-known trend on the Internet.

I hear you.

Today I have been reading reviews on 4 season tyres. The above mentioned phenomenon is at hand there as well. Most interestingly it changes even by countries. Example: Nexen 4 season tyres have been in the average category in almost all reviews in Western Europe. In one country (Central Europe) in a certain period of time this brand has taken the first place in all car magazines for years. Reason? It was the time when these tyres were introduced to this market. Was it about objectivity? Nope. Money and freebies.

What are the implications? Severe. It was years ago and still in a most of the Fora dealing with cars in this country these tyres are still recommended.

So, nowdays I either rely on my personal experience, if possible or I have to dig up information for days or even weeks before buying the desired product.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Right, for us it's always the unknown that ends up being crap or fake so we've just been sticking with names brands we know and trust. I know even Amazon has admitted that they're having a hard time fighting off the fake reviews as well, it's almost as if they're not spending some of that insane profit on adding credibility to their site.

Cruising through kitchen gear once on Amazon, after I had selected a new wide-mouth funnel and some Mason jar lids and rings, I do remember looking at some Sabatier 8" knife, thinking the pricetag seemed pretty low and wondering if people make counterfeits of stuff like that. Anyway I passed on that buy and settled for my original shopping list that day.

Guess I just didn't want to end up disappointed on a pretty pricey even if discounted item, in case the online purchase turned problematic. Some things just seem like they should be looked at in person.

As for reviews, yeah I got bit once on favorable Amazon reviews of some laptop keyboard cover that was not what I used to buy directly from a smaller vendor, and was also not as expensive. When I think on it, I'm not sure I'd ever bother submitting a rave review of some commonplace item like that anyway... and there were way over 25k of four-star takes on that thing. But in my then naiveté I had just thought wow that must be pretty great, think I'll get two of them. At least the pair lasted me a whole two months before both had ripped or become misshapen. 😞

Top Bottom
1 2