Amazon Prime Day

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Anyone else trying to get on? It's crawling and I need a night light for my plugin echo for $2 off!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got $10 from shopping at Whole Foods a week ago so I bought another case of my favorite hot sauce. (Yes, I buy it a case at a time.)

Also grabbed some face shields. I’m going to try to put scarves around the sides and bottom to avoid a mask.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently got some Airpod Pros. I then discovered I can't use my current charging station because it has a molded charging port that can't fit the larger case. So I went on Amazon and, as these things go, I found a charging station but it was not one on prime day sale. My current station charges my iPhone, Apple Watch, Airpods, and holds my Apple pencil. All the stations on sale fell short of those requirements in one way or another.

So....come for the sale, but get inspired to buy something else that's not.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
No.

However, I keep receiving (this week so far, I have received at least one a day; yes, I get that there is an economic crisis, but please stop with this excessive communication) emails from The Economist offering all kinds of savings - the percentage discount seems to have increased each day - on the stuff that they sell from their online store.

Further inspection of the microscopic small print (and yes, I have checked this every day, too,) only serves to confirm that this discount does not apply to their diaries, which are the only thing I would be interested in purchasing, as I have had an Economist diary for the past few years.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Something to think about regarding Amazon. I read that since the pandemic started, Bezos’ wealth increased enough for him to have given each employee $105,000. I bet you know he didn’t even give them an extra $1.05. Oh, and they have lied many, many times about their safety records. Great exposé by PBS on them last night. Over 14,000 serious injuries last year alone.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Something to think about regarding Amazon. I read that since the pandemic started, Bezos’ wealth increased enough for him to have given each employee $105,000. I bet you know he didn’t even give them an extra $1.05. Oh, and they have lied many, many times about their safety records. Great exposé by PBS on them last night. Over 14,000 serious injuries last year alone.

This is a shame really, all the small businesses who can't sustain it are taking the biggest hits while corporate giants are now thriving, not to mention a giant like Amazon can have so many cases yet still survive without a ding in their business.

Yes, they are capitalist sharks but at the same time it's more a result of COVID than anything but they should be paying taxes like the rest of us, under Trump it's a free ride at the expense of the average citizen.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
No.

However, I keep receiving (this week so far, I have received at least one a day; yes, I get that there is an economic crisis, but please stop with this excessive communication) emails from The Economist offering all kinds of savings - the percentage discount seems to have increased each day - on the stuff that they sell from their online store.

Further inspection of the microscopic small print (and yes, I have checked this every day, too,) only serves to confirm that this discount does not apply to their diaries, which are the only thing I would be interested in purchasing, as I have had an Economist diary for the past few years.
The Economist is definitely on a subscription drive. And so is The Spectator (never subscribed!) and New Statesman… Must be that time of year where they throw in a pen or diary as a gift. 🙂

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a shame really, all the small businesses who can't sustain it are taking the biggest hits while corporate giants are now thriving, not to mention a giant like Amazon can have so many cases yet still survive without a ding in their business.

Yes, they are capitalist sharks but at the same time it's more a result of COVID than anything but they should be paying taxes like the rest of us, under Trump it's a free ride at the expense of the average citizen.

I buy way too much from Amazon, especially that I have a problem with it. They are not a retail company. Majority of their revenue, at least until recently, came from unrelated business units. They are destroying the retail industry without primarily being a retailer.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram

Alas my need for instant gratification overcomes my scruples and principles far too often.

As a paltry defence I will say I always look at my local shops before buying on Amazon… still… choosing between printer ink £88 locally (and that is in any event a large chain shop) or £24 on Amazon, my wallet will always vote for Amazon. My profits are wafer thin as is.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I buy way too much from Amazon, especially that I have a problem with it. They are not a retail company. Majority of their revenue, at least until recently, came from unrelated business units. They are destroying the retail industry without primarily being a retailer.
I don’t buy from them. I had a gift card for them and used it to get a replacement battery and 20gb HD for my original iPod a few years ago. I guess I’m being a grumpy contrarian, but I originally got turned off by their “amazon prime” thing where they make you pay a couple hundred annually for 2-day shipping; that’s just turning your customers into a piggy bank. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised they treat their workers badly.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

I get the convenience but deeply dislike the fact that they hurt (destroy, displace, replace) bricks'n'mortar stores and loathe their truly disgraceful treatment of their staff.
Alas my need for instant gratification overcomes my scruples and principles far too often.

As a paltry defence I will say I always look at my local shops before buying on Amazon… still… choosing between printer ink £88 locally (and that is in any event a large chain shop) or £24 on Amazon, my wallet will always vote for Amazon.

For me, it is more a matter of choice and convenience - in matters of books and - especially - music (anyone else regret the passing of those wonderful music stores? I do; I used to love to browse), than price; however, whenever possible I prefer to give my business to load stores, and request that they order stuff for me.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I won’t apologize for my love for and (over)use of Amazon. I have Prime. I watch their entertainment. Some of their shows are quality. I’m watching them right now.

For a while last school year, it seemed as though 25% of our faculty worked at the Amazon warehouse on the side. They were making decent money, and the benefits were as good as what we got from the school system.

So I realize all the negatives, but there are an awful lot of positives. Amazon employs more locals than all the other stores combined and their prices are still better - with door to door delivery and easy returns.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a conversation with a coworker about Amazon the other day. She’s 24, and has such a strong negative opinion about Amazon that it ruined a first date she was on awhile back. I kept quiet, because I’d guess we get north of 100 shipments a year from them and, damn, the production values on Ms Maisel are the best!

But, I have a hard time defending my addiction to them.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I had a conversation with a coworker about Amazon the other day. She’s 24, and has such a strong negative opinion about Amazon that it ruined a first date she was on awhile back. I kept quiet, because I’d guess we get north of 100 shipments a year from them and, damn, the production values on Ms Maisel are the best!

But, I have a hard time defending my addiction to them.
A lot of this could be solved if their workers pulled themselves together and unionized. Time for Americans to wake up. We don't have to wait for Amazon or Wal-Mart to do the right thing. We can force their hand.

Top Bottom
1 2