Amazon Prime shipping is a real crapshoot

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
What does it come to now, $13 per month? I remember when that was a pretty solid guarantee on getting your goods in 2 days. Now you can get same day shipping, but I couldn’t tell you how many times that didn’t happen, I got notified is was delivered when it wasn’t, or it never arrives at all. I used to get concerned when I saw they shipped USPS. Now I get more concerned when they ship it using an Amazon driver, I’d say there’s less than a 50% chance it is going to go as promised.

So what exactly am I paying for? Frustration? I could get the same thing without prime with free ground shipping and there’s a good chance it will arrive earlier than their estimate.

Anybody else considering killing their prime account or have done it already?

PS. There’s also a shit ton of streaming services that can replace that prime perk. I honestly believe they are hoping their streaming service is enough to compensate for their shit shipping. “Hey, lets put out another Oscar contender and we can lower shipping expectations even further.”

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
What does it come to now, $13 per month? I remember when that was a pretty solid guarantee on getting your goods in 2 days. Now you can get same day shipping, but I couldn’t tell you how many times that didn’t happen, I got notified is was delivered when it wasn’t, or it never arrives at all. I used to get concerned when I saw they shipped USPS. Now I get more concerned when they ship it using an Amazon driver, I’d say there’s less than a 50% chance it is going to go as promised.

So what exactly am I paying for? Frustration? I could get the same thing without prime with free ground shipping and there’s a good chance it will arrive earlier than their estimate.

Anybody else considering killing their prime account or have done it already?

PS. There’s also a shit ton of streaming services that can replace that prime perk. I honestly believe they are hoping their streaming service is enough to compensate for their shit shipping. “Hey, lets put out another Oscar contender and we can lower shipping expectations even further.”
If you notice, during the midst of the pandemic, the words 2 Day shipping will disappear.

For a while I was getting free shipping, but it was 3 - 5 days, and I live between a hub & physical pick up point. During the Prime Day sale this week, I noticed the 2 Day free shipping was specifically back much to my surprise.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you notice, during the midst of the pandemic, the words 2 Day shipping will disappear.

For a while I was getting free shipping, but it was 3 - 5 days, and I live between a hub & physical pick up point. During the Prime Day sale this week, I noticed the 2 Day free shipping was specifically back much to my surprise.

I was having shipping issues even before the pandemic.

This past Saturday I ordered something that it said would be delivered Sunday. I also got the shipped notification. Sunday came and went and it didn't arrive. As of yesterday it said there was some issue and I have to wait until the 29th before I can ask for a refund. Excuse me, I have to wait for over a week now? It used to be days. I also used to have packages magically show up late, but now if I get some "there was an issue" notice that pretty much means it's never going to show up.

And again, this is largely with Amazon drivers now. I feel like they sometimes say "Fuck it!" mid delivery and just quit.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
your loction makes difference. my shop and house are ten miles apart but my house will get a package a day earlier then my work. sometimes its the same sometimes not.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Prime or Costco or Sam’s Club… anything where I have to pay a membership fee to shop there. Prime does come with the video, but $13 a month is too high for its video content. I last ordered something from Amazon a couple years ago and I don’t have prime and I still got free shipping and it took 2 or 3 days. IMHO - prime is a ripoff.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
You don't have any or many shipping issues?
I'll say for the most part I don't have any issues but as mentioned above it could be that my location plays a role. They're far more reliable than UPS or USPS, when I see something being shipped from one of those I always cringe because they're far less predictable and our UPS guy is always mad for some reason lol.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Haven’t had any issues with Prime shipping here. Though I’m letting my membership expire because Amazon has gone to shit. Not a fan of Amazon.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Shipping times are worse now for everyone. Everything is worse, I could go on for days about supply problems where I work. COVID is not done with us.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
We have both subscribe and save and regular deliveries with Prime. I've not really noticed any issues, and sometimes can get same day or 2 hour delivery. My wife will do their $1 credit if you wait on occasion, too.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I have awhile yet before my Prime membership renewal comes up, but for the first time I'm definitely considering ditching it. I buy far fewer things nowadays, and it's no big deal to wait until I've enough of a list to get free shipping.

And thanks to Instacart's expansion of store choices in this area, I rarely fall back on Amazon for shipment of nonperishable groceries or other staple goods any more... given a choice I'd use Walmart for that anyway now, since they wrap stuff better and I've not received dented cans from them. From Amazon though I got dented cans in a case lot a few times, and the dents were in cans on the INSIDE of the pack, which may mean that the Amazon buyer dealt for them to get a price break, but anyway certainly means they weren't dented via drop-kick from the courier's handling.

Also I've noticed that the formerly routine two-day delivery from Amazon seems to be pretty hit or miss around here, so essentially indistinguishable from a choice of "Prime Day delivery" --and they seem to keep switching the day, too. So I've used that $1 credit for waiting sometimes, since it appears I've not much choice anyway!

And... not having made time to watch many movies or TV shows prior to retirement, I've found Prime Video somewhat useful, but I still don't make very much time for that form of entertainment and generally prefer Netflix.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have awhile yet before my Prime membership renewal comes up, but for the first time I'm definitely considering ditching it. I buy far fewer things nowadays, and it's no big deal to wait until I've enough of a list to get free shipping.

And thanks to Instacart's expansion of store choices in this area, I rarely fall back on Amazon for shipment of nonperishable groceries or other staple goods any more... given a choice I'd use Walmart for that anyway now, since they wrap stuff better and I've not received dented cans from them. From Amazon though I got dented cans in a case lot a few times, and the dents were in cans on the INSIDE of the pack, which may mean that the Amazon buyer dealt for them to get a price break, but anyway certainly means they weren't dented via drop-kick from the courier's handling.

Also I've noticed that the formerly routine two-day delivery from Amazon seems to be pretty hit or miss around here, so essentially indistinguishable from a choice of "Prime Day delivery" --and they seem to keep switching the day, too. So I've used that $1 credit for waiting sometimes, since it appears I've not much choice anyway!

And... not having made time to watch many movies or TV shows prior to retirement, I've found Prime Video somewhat useful, but I still don't make very much time for that form of entertainment and generally prefer Netflix.
I have always been a huge fan of Prime and their services, particularly all of the older shows provided on Prime Video but they've changed things around and are now moving a lot of the shows over to IMDB TV and inserting/forcing ads and this to me is infuriating enough to be a deal breaker, tired of these billionaires screwing those of us who just want a basic service for our money.

We're currently weighing out the value of keeping it for 2 day shipping but with the cost rises and degradation of service it may be worth dropping and waiting a couple of extra days for shipping.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I have always been a huge fan of Prime and their services, particularly all of the older shows provided on Prime Video but they've changed things around and are now moving a lot of the shows over to IMDB TV and inserting/forcing ads and this to me is infuriating enough to be a deal breaker, tired of these billionaires screwing those of us who just want a basic service for our money.

We're currently weighing out the value of keeping it for 2 day shipping but with the cost rises and degradation of service it may be worth dropping and waiting a couple of extra days for shipping.
Also, if you’re not paying a monthly fee, you feel less pressure to buy from the same vendor all the time. I can imagine this thought: “I didn’t order anything from Amazon this month... there goes $13 down the drain for 2-day shipping of nothing.” I know my family used to go to BJ’s wholesale more than they needed to because they already paid the annual fee.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been buying things less and less from Amazon, not because I'm taking a stance, but because I'm cutting back on spending and I'm realizing a lot of my purchases have been impulse buys. Not that I regret those purchases, but they definitely weren't things I couldn't live without. I couldn't tell you how many hundreds of things are in my save for later list, with plenty that are there multiple times.

As far as prime video, there isn't anything I go there specifically for. I usually go there as a result of laziness and procrastination keeping me from doing something more productive. Hell, watching the plants grow on my balcony would probably be more productive and I'd probably get a better sense of accomplishment.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Amazon Prime was a lifesaver when I unexpectedly found myself living in Japan without knowing the language. Free reliable scheduled deliveries to the door rocked!
I watched a video of a foodie guy who got overly paranoid during the pandemic, and moved to South Korea for a short time. When you first get there they put you in a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks. He ended up finding out from a viewer that they allowed for the S Korea version of Amazon to make deliveries, so it was a lifesaver for him as well. Or sanity saver.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I've been pretty fortunate with Amazon Prime and prompt deliveries, etc. One item I ordered in the late morning was actually delivered the same day later in the afternoon! They must've had it already in the local warehouse. Other items usually come within a day or two, depending upon what they are. Occasionally a package gets delivered to the wrong condo unit, which isn't surprising, since the numbering system here is a bit weird and all the buildings have the same unit designations (A - N) while the building street addresses are different by only one digit sometimes. It's not unusual for something meant for me winds up at Unit [fill in the blank] in the next building over, for instance. When I'm expecting something and Amazon's site and an email announce that it has been delivered while I'm standing in the open doorway not seeing it sitting on my doorstep I hike over to the next building and.....voila! Conversely, occasionally packages meant for others wind up at my unit, so I always check the label before opening anything especially if I am not expecting something, just to be sure.

Only a couple of times have I had to contact Amazon due to a broken item -- they really are not careful when packing glass jars! Also one time I received something which did not have the correct cable/port connection so I had to return it. One handy thing is that nowadays if there is a Whole Foods store nearby one can simply take the item to be returned over to that store, the provided QR/bar code that came in an email to the customer is scanned at the store and that's it -- customer doesn't have to worry about repacking the thing up and shipping it back. That's very convenient!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We very, very rarely have any kind of shipping issues with Amazon, Prime, or even pre-Prime. Been using them since 1999, and usually have around 100 or so orders a year (probably average ~2 items per).

Hahaha, holy smokes:

1624485131195.png

Top Bottom
1 2