Amazon's SideWalk will share your internet with your neighbors without your consent by default

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Amazon is making this bold move and opting you in automatically.
Amazon will be launching the Amazon Sidewalk service on Tuesday that automatically opts-in your Echo and Ring devices into a new feature that shares your Internet with your neighbors. Here's more about this new feature and how to opt-out of sharing your bandwidth with other Amazon devices.

How to opt-out and disable Amazon Sidewalk​

From Bleepingcomputer
If you do not want your devices to be part of Amazon Sidewalk, you can disable the service at any time.

For Amazon Echo devices, you can disable Amazon Sidewalk by following these steps:
  1. Open your Amazon Alexa App.
  2. Select the More option in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen.
  3. Go to Settings > Account Settings > Amazon Sidewalk.
  4. Set the Amazon Sidewalk toggle to disabled.
  5. Close the Amazon Alexa app.
For Ring devices, you can disable Amazon Sidewalk by following these steps:
  1. Open the Ring app.
  2. Tap the three-lined icon to open the menu and go to Control Center > Amazon Sidewalk.
  3. Set the Amazon Sidewalk toggle to disabled.
  4. Close the app.
Once you disable Amazon Sidewalk, Amazon will not enable it again without your permission.

D

Deleted member 199

I feel like I wasted the Jeff Bridges gif in the WWDC thread. This was perfect for it.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Screw Amazon devices. I refuse to own any of them specifically because of this kind of crap. How many times have there been security issues with Ring? And now this dumb shit.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Amazon is making this bold move and opting you in automatically.

How to opt-out and disable Amazon Sidewalk​

From Bleepingcomputer
If you do not want your devices to be part of Amazon Sidewalk, you can disable the service at any time.

For Amazon Echo devices, you can disable Amazon Sidewalk by following these steps:
  1. Open your Amazon Alexa App.
  2. Select the More option in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen.
  3. Go to Settings > Account Settings > Amazon Sidewalk.
  4. Set the Amazon Sidewalk toggle to disabled.
  5. Close the Amazon Alexa app.
For Ring devices, you can disable Amazon Sidewalk by following these steps:
  1. Open the Ring app.
  2. Tap the three-lined icon to open the menu and go to Control Center > Amazon Sidewalk.
  3. Set the Amazon Sidewalk toggle to disabled.
  4. Close the app.
Once you disable Amazon Sidewalk, Amazon will not enable it again without your permission.

Grumpy old man’s way to opt-out and disable Amazon Sidewalk​

1. Throw away all Amazon devices.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have an amazon alexa but its no longer connected to my wifi - I just use it as a bluetooth speaker for my Peloton.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I have plenty of Echos of various models.

Very convenient, but I wouldn’t trust them even as far as I can throw them. The cameras have been physically obstructed where applicable, settings locked down, and I have graciously given them their very own wi-fi.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have plenty of Echos of various models.

Very convenient, but I wouldn’t trust them even as far as I can throw them. The cameras have been physically obstructed where applicable, settings locked down, and I have graciously given them their very own wi-fi.
We only have listening devices and they're all over the house so we use them pretty heavily, mostly for smart home and music purposes. I also opt out of all the other crap but am mindful that it could be triggered by keywords, etc. On the flip side I just have nothing interesting to say when I'm at home but if thing sitting in is a good use of their time then more power to them, I really couldn't give a rats ass.

However, cameras are a different story, we have Nest and only use them outdoors, there's one inside on the Hub but it has a physical close button and that's always shut.

Top Bottom
1 2