America’s treatment of women and girls

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
Two stories today concerning the treatment by American society of women and girls who were assaulted, and how some are trying to do something about it.

The 2nd article is paywalled, so here’s some of it:

Given information DiFilippo had at the time and applying it to the rule as written, the assessment was fair. But then, before ruling on a hardship appeal of his original decision, DiFilippo was told in a conference call with Holland athletics director Matt Adams and Kierra’s father, Jason Kline, that she had moved to Florida because, about one year earlier, in January 2020, she had been sexually assaulted by a male student on a school bus. There were witnesses. The case was adjudicated. The boy was found guilty of multiple charges and suspended from school for 40 days. Jason Kline said a disbelieving DiFilippo responded by repeatedly asking why Kierra was returning to Holland if she truly had been traumatized. DiFilippo also received a letter from Holland High superintendent Cathy Fabiatos, who wrote that she believed Kierra’s “health and safety would be put at risk” if she couldn’t play.

NYSPHSAA bylaws allow hardship waivers for “safety, mental health, personal relationships and other circumstances.” But even with the knowledge of what had happened to Kierra, DiFilippo denied an appeal of his earlier decision. Then, the eight-member Section 6 executive committee (of which DiFilippo is a member) also denied a hardship appeal despite being briefed about what happened to Kierra.

“How can denying sexual assault as a hardship even be an option with the overwhelming evidence?” says Michelle Kline, Kierra’s mother.

No reasons were given for those decisions, leaving the Klines and others to presume a 14-year-old being sexually attacked didn’t meet the threshold for a hardship.

“Nobody has heard me,” Kierra says a day after the playoff opener. “I don’t get to say how I’ve felt. I just have to sit here.”

Renzatic

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I came across this on Facebook just a couple of minutes ago.

Fuckwit.jpg

MissNomer

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I came across this on Facebook just a couple of minutes ago.

Fuckwit.jpg
Holy fuckballs.

Sounds like this shitforbrains Chris Wicker is a real nasty excuse for a human being.

It takes an awful kind of mindlessness entitlement to think that men have an extra special dominion of any woman’s body “if she’s drunk”. He’s the sort of vile trash who ends up raping multiple women claiming “they were begging for it”.

Renzatic

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Sounds like this shitforbrains Chris Wicker is a real nasty excuse for a human being.

Yeah, he's one of those really hardcore 3%'er types. I see him throw out little quips like this on Facebook all the time.

Fun fact: this is actually one of his less extreme posts.

MissNomer

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, he's one of those really hardcore 3%'er types. I see him throw out little quips like this on Facebook all the time.

It’s rare I feel physically sick reading things these days.

I feel physically sick…

Renzatic

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
It’s rare I feel physically sick reading things these days.

I feel physically sick…

Yeah, for the sake of your mental health, it's probably best you don't read Facebook quotes. Spending time commenting on some of my local news channels has shown me just how many people in my neck of the woods are irredeemable pieces of trash.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I think people feel MORE free to spew hate speech on Facebook because they know their comments are not generally accessible. Usually, only one’s “friends” (OMG how FB has cheapened that term) can see what they write. On Twitter, at least one knows the whole world can see what you write.

I think that content should be reported to FB, and/or shared publicly on a Twitter account. Let Chris Wicker’s comment be 100% public. Make sure his employer sees it, and anybody else in his town too. This is consequence culture and I encourage it.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

You sure he's not a troll? That's some Grade-A low-hanging trigger fruit right there.

Stephen.R

Site Champ
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to diminish this at all, just add some international context, so you can be disgusted at humanity around the world.

This is second-hand via my wife, as I am not fluent in Thai and I can't imagine there's any market for Thai soap operas in non-Thai markets.

Anyway - Thai soaps are kind of unique (to me at least) in that they follow the "reboot" concept... continuously. Each one of them, is telling the same storyline over and over, but with a new cast each time around. So my wife (in her 30s) can talk to her niece who watches them now, and knows the plot from what she watched 15 years ago.

Anyway - a very common theme in these nationally broadcast soaps is:

Boy likes girl.
Girl doesn't like boy.
Boy rapes girl.
Girl falls in love with boy and they live happy ever after.

Yay for humanity...

Scepticalscribe

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I don't want to diminish this at all, just add some international context, so you can be disgusted at humanity around the world.

This is second-hand via my wife, as I am not fluent in Thai and I can't imagine there's any market for Thai soap operas in non-Thai markets.

Anyway - Thai soaps are kind of unique (to me at least) in that they follow the "reboot" concept... continuously. Each one of them, is telling the same storyline over and over, but with a new cast each time around. So my wife (in her 30s) can talk to her niece who watches them now, and knows the plot from what she watched 15 years ago.

Anyway - a very common theme in these nationally broadcast soaps is:

Boy likes girl.
Girl doesn't like boy.
Boy rapes girl.

Yay for humanity...

In some parts of the Caucasus, (a practice prohibited, outlawed and rigorously punished under Soviet times - not everything the USSR did was regrettable, or wrong, but - but one which seems to have re-emerged with re-newed vigour since the collapse of the USSR), - I spent over two years there - and in parts of central Asia (where I have also worked), there is an appalling cultural tradition which goes by the quaint name of "bride kidnapping", a practice and term I find abhorrent, and repellant.

Some of my (male, western) colleagues were surprised by my strongly held - and yes, widely known, for I was not shy in expressing them - views on such subjects.

The narrative goes something as follows:

Boy likes girl.
Girl doesn't much care for boy.
Boy kidnaps girl.
Boy rapes girl.
Boy proposes marriage to girl.
Girl is put under pressure (by her family as much as his - for reasons of "honour") to accept this proposal.
And they all live happily, or not so happily, ever after.

Last edited:

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
In some parts of the Caucasus, (a practice prohibited, outlawed and rigorously punished under Soviet times - not everything the USSR did was regrettable, or wrong, but - but one which seems to have re-emerged with re-newed vigour since the collapse of the USSR), - I spent over two years there - and in parts of central Asia (where I have also worked), there is an appalling cultural tradition which goes by the quaint name of "bride kidnapping", a practice and term I find abhorrent, and repellant.

Some of my (male, western) colleagues were surprised by my strongly held - and yes, widely known, for I was not shy in expressing them - views on such subjects.

The narrative is as follows:

Boy likes girl.
Girl doesn't much care for boy.
Boy kidnaps girl.
Boy rapes girl.
Boy proposes marriage to girl.
Girl is put under pressure (by her family as much as his - for reasons of "honour") to accept this proposal.
And they all live happily, or not so happily, ever after.
It really depends though, because many places have traditions like this that tamed into a (consensual) joke over the centuries.

----------
Consent can get complicated, especially in the context of intoxication of both parties. Look at Asis Ansari's situation as one extreme. The above argument could be reversed to men as well, don't want to get accused with rape? Don't drink... The infuriating part of such comments really is the complete disregard that men could be held to the same absurd standards.
---------
Let's talk about access to abortion and birth control. To be frank some of the prudery of the USA is just ridiculous. Some people are fixated on ensuring that sexual activities come with dire consequences. I'll emphasize, the goal is to make young sexually active girls pregnant, and give people STDs. If it weren't, unwanted pregnancies, abortions and STDs could be cost-efficiently reduced by providing adequate sex education, and free contraception to teens:

The Colorado Family Planning Initiative’s efforts helped spur a 54 percent reduction in teen births, saved the state nearly $70 million in public assistance costs, and reduced financial barriers so women can more readily access their preferred contraceptive methods.

• The number of repeat teen births (teens giving birth for the second or third time, etc.) dropped 63 percent between 2009 and 2016.
  • The abortion rate fell 63 percent among women ages 15-19, and 41 percent among women ages 20-24 between 2009 and 2016.

I'll emphasize this for Libertarians, the access to free contraception saved money, i.e. it is a fiscally conservative measure.
It also keeps women in school, increasing their chances to achieve their academic potential.

So I'll re-iterate, programs like this reduce abortions, keep women in school, save the state money, and much better achievable than overturning Roe v Wade, which would drop legal abortion rate at the cost of increasing illegal and thus, unsafe abortions. This shit has been seen and done in the Eastern block and brought nothing other than a population boom and lots of miserable families.

Last edited:

Alli

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Boy likes girl.
Girl doesn't like boy.
Boy rapes girl.
Good lord, that was the plot on General Hospital almost 40 years ago. Luke and Laura. Ugh.

lizkat

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Good lord, that was the plot on General Hospital almost 40 years ago. Luke and Laura. Ugh.

Due to the GOP's success w/ propagation of "culture wars" in the USA, a whole lot of stuff from 40 years ago does seem to be coming back around again, and not just in the likes of soap operas. :rolleyes:

Stephen.R

Site Champ
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
The scary part (both for my own vanity and thinking about society) is that while I used to have this mental jump immediately upon heading "40 years ago" as meaning the 50s or 60s.... it dawned on me that 40 years ago is just before I was born, in the early 80s.

Ignoring my own vanity, it's quite scary to think a mainstream show in America had a plot like that in the 80s. Kind of makes it easier to understand some issues in America today though.

Renzatic

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Ignoring my own vanity, it's quite scary to think a mainstream show in America had a plot like that in the 80s. Kind of makes it easier to understand some issues in America today though.

A few months back, I went on this big 80's movie kick that included a bunch of John Hughes flicks.

I'm pretty laissez faire when it comes to this whole culture war thing. Not much offends me, and I'm not offended when people speak out against things that do happen to offend them. I'm always open to discussion, but overall, it's not something I find myself thinking much about outside of the occasional conversation about such. I'm of the opinion that people do as people do, and generally leave it at that.

...but while watching through Sixteen Candles, I was amazed at how much of that movie would not pass muster today. It wasn't the offensiveness that took me aback, so much as the innocent, po-faced crassness of it all. It wasn't trying to be tasteless, that's just the way things were back then.

You don't realize how much society has moved on until you witness a stark example thereof.

Top Bottom