America hard-wired for racial segregation?

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

P_X

Captain
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

I wish I didn't have stories like the link above but I sadly do. Most of you guys know I'm black (whatever this means) and my wife is white and blond (again whatever this means). Our kids have very light skin, curly blond hair with light eyes and their noses are the sole indicators of their subsaharan African heritage that you can't see with their masks on. Now we went to a playhouse today where you need to checkout. I told the (white) lady at checkout that "half of my party is left behind, let's wait a sec'". Then I tell her, "here they come," and my wife and my little daughter walks toward the exit (nobody nearby headed this direction). Lady scans for a few seconds (she clearly looks for a non-white person), then finally notices my wife (again the only person headed in her direction) and say, "I see."

While this is clearly not racism here, it just tells you so much that this lady was hardwired to assume I'm not with a "white person".

When I mentioned this to my wife, she immediately remembered when we were coming back from our Euro trip, on our reentry a (black) TSA lady asked my daughter to "tell her who I was", then when she didn't respond, she asked her "is she your daddy?". I usually try to ignore these things, but it makes you wonder, why isn't it natural to have an "interracial" (the term is bullshit) marriage with "multiracial" kids (bullshit terminology again). George Floyd had to be murdered for ads to dare using "interracial couples" and that's just fucked up.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

I wish I didn't have stories like the link above but I sadly do. Most of you guys know I'm black (whatever this means) and my wife is white and blond (again whatever this means). Our kids have very light skin, curly blond hair with light eyes and their noses are the sole indicators of their subsaharan African heritage that you can't see with their masks on. Now we went to a playhouse today where you need to checkout. I told the (white) lady at checkout that "half of my party is left behind, let's wait a sec'". Then I tell her, "here they come," and my wife and my little daughter walks toward the exit (nobody nearby headed this direction). Lady scans for a few seconds (she clearly looks for a non-white person), then finally notices my wife (again the only person headed in her direction) and say, "I see."

While this is clearly not racism here, it just tells you so much that this lady was hardwired to assume I'm not with a "white person".

When I mentioned this to my wife, she immediately remembered when we were coming back from our Euro trip, on our reentry a (black) TSA lady asked my daughter to "tell her who I was", then when she didn't respond, she asked her "is she your daddy?". I usually try to ignore these things, but it makes you wonder, why isn't it natural to have an "interracial" (the term is bullshit) marriage with "multiracial" kids (bullshit terminology again). George Floyd had to be murdered for ads to dare using "interracial couples" and that's just fucked up.
That's just not something people are consciously aware of. I always remind people that in many cases until 1970 there were bans on interracial marriages. There's always so much baggage for both persons when they begin a relationship. Not just from outside sources, but people of your own 'race' give you grief as if you have somehow slighted them by dating another human being of a different shade.

I often told people how the Apple store in the highest end shopping mall, before it's multiple turnovers, I couldn't get help to buy a thing. I could browse under quite a few watchful eyes, but when it came time to want to buy something there was always ANOTHER customer to help. Eventually my girlfriend at the time ( very much what some call a 'social justice warrior', she was far more aggravated with casual or passive racism she didn't realize happened than I could ever be anymore ) decided to tag along. Needless to say if you are somewhat attractive & of the correct racial makeup the help then raced to help you, and she just went "Oh, he's the one buying I couldn't care less."

Even though that Apple store has changed for the better, we assume everyone has changed for the better, until a few feel the need to step up and remind us otherwise.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

I know you have me on ignore, so maybe someone will quote it.

But what is wrong with people? It's 2021 and she is acting like it is 1990. You can't make assumptions like this anymore and even if you do, you can't make it obvious. I don't know how someone can rewire their brain to not make those assumptions, but they need to try.

Last NFL season at a regular season game, the announcers made a point of saying that the crew was the first all Black crew to work a game. I was kind of surprised as we have had Black officials including referees for years. Seeing a Black official is not something that I even notice anymore. Maybe that is what makes me a racist, I don't know.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score

Geez man that airport story is terrible, sounds like you handled it with dignity but I would've lost it on them. At the very least that type of incident is worth reporting, she clearly made an assumption based on skin color alone. That's outrageous man. And that lady at the party isn't much better, frankly.

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here
Top Bottom