Annas Hummingbird

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's that time of year again and they're all over the feeders. The color of the fence in the background is red and not very dramatic when it comes to these shots, so what I've done is taken an existing photo of some greenery, added a bunch of gaussian blur in PS and then printed it on a 16x24 card stock, then I pin it up behind the feeder area for a backdrop.

IMG_9006.jpeg

Last edited:

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i don’t get many hummingbirds here even if i put out nectar. 😞

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's that time of year again and they're all over the feeders. The color of the fence in the background is red and not very dramatic when it comes to these shots, so what I've done is taken an existing photo of some greenery, added a bunch of gaussian blur in PS and then printed it on a 16x24 card stock, then I pin it up behind the feeder area for a backdrop.

View attachment 12877
That’s fantastic. I wish we got hummingbirds in the U.K.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s fantastic. I wish we got hummingbirds in the U.K.

I never saw one in person until i moved to california, and now i see them every day in the lilacs outside my window.

They are freakishly unnatural and should be avoided at all costs lest their needle-like beaks suck out your soul.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I never saw one in person until i moved to california, and now i see them every day in the lilacs outside my window.

They are freakishly unnatural and should be avoided at all costs lest their needle-like beaks suck out your soul.
We laugh but it's not far from the truth. When we change their feeders they dive bomb us kamikaze like, buzzing us and all.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We laugh but it's not far from the truth. When we change their feeders they dive bomb us kamikaze like, buzzing us and all.

the two things that freaked me out when i came out here: hummingbirds, and spiders that look like spiders. (where i come from all we have are daddy longlegs).

Oh, also, butter has the wrong dimensions here. And I guess “Hellman’s” sounds too ethnic or something for Californians, so here we have “Best Foods.” So that’s four things.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
the two things that freaked me out when i came out here: hummingbirds, and spiders that look like spiders. (where i come from all we have are daddy longlegs).

Oh, also, butter has the wrong dimensions here. And I guess “Hellman’s” sounds too ethnic or something for Californians, so here we have “Best Foods.” So that’s four things.
I’ve lived both east and west coasts quite a bit, and something I never hear discussed are differences between breakfast potatoes at restaurants.

In the west, it was always shredded potatoes. I’d never seen that until I moved to California and that’s all I saw from San Diego to Seattle. In the east it’s more like chunks of potatoes.

I should point out my west years are between 1990 and 2001.

Thanks for inspiring me to bring up this Very Important Topic.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score

I sold my soul to fund my Apple addiction many years ago!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Beautiful. I’d crop out the stick on the right and print it.
Not really one I would print but it made me think of the book Magnum Contact Sheets, have you had a chance to read it? It goes into the selection process for printing, which most of the times was the publisher making the decisions as opposed to the photographer. Of course in those days they had access to the entire contents of all the rolls of film but rarely did the photographer agree with what the publisher did.

I often get comments about lights, poles, stop signs, wires, etc in my shots (stuff like "if it weren't for that it would be awesome") but it's rare that I ever mess with it because I see it as part of the scene and let it stand on its own. There are also photographers who go to great lengths to remove or crop that stuff and there's nothing wrong with that, just not my style.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not really one I would print but it made me think of the book Magnum Contact Sheets, have you had a chance to read it? It goes into the selection process for printing, which most of the times was the publisher making the decisions as opposed to the photographer. Of course in those days they had access to the entire contents of all the rolls of film but rarely did the photographer agree with what the publisher did.

I often get comments about lights, poles, stop signs, wires, etc in my shots (stuff like "if it weren't for that it would be awesome") but it's rare that I ever mess with it because I see it as part of the scene and let it stand on its own. There are also photographers who go to great lengths to remove or crop that stuff and there's nothing wrong with that, just not my style.
I’ve not read it but will look it up.
I’m always one who looks for the details in a photo I’d want to crop out etc when I take the shot. Thomas Heaton refers to it as edge patrol. But that’s landscape photography. Wildlife is different. You don’t usually have the time.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i've never seen a hummingbird like that. ours are kind of boring brown. i think i'm going to get a new feeder to see if i have better luck attracting some this year.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
i've never seen a hummingbird like that. ours are kind of boring brown. i think i'm going to get a new feeder to see if i have better luck attracting some this year.
They're stunning when their feathers come out, for the most part they look dark black until they face you directly and they you can catch it in the light. The colors come out a bit more certain times of year as well.

Top Bottom
1 2