Annas Hummingbird

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just taken a few minutes ago, we don't get much rain so they seem pretty happy about it.

DSC06163.jpeg

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I was going to take a picture, but then he was gone. It was the oddest thing.

There is a feeder on the porch, and there is some fine black mesh hanging around there, which I guess gives them a little more cover from predators (I was not the one as hung it there). It looked like one of them had flown into the mesh too fast and got his beak stuck in it. He has totally motionless, his claws and beak in the mesh, his tail all spread wide. It looked like he got trapped and starved to death or something. When I first saw it, there were two others flitting around there.

Of course I went to get a camera. And of course he was gone. The mesh had a wet spot about where he had been, and there was a bird out there, flitting between some cables under the roof – a bird that I got closer to than usual, that did not seem wary of me. Either a predator/scavenger got to him, or he had been in torpor and somehow got loose after (or before) coming out of it. I looked to see if there was a corpse anywhere, but no sign of one.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i got my annuals and seeds in today so i think i will make a batch of sugar syrup this afternoon so i can put out my feeder tomorrow.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
i got my annuals and seeds in today so i think i will make a batch of sugar syrup this afternoon so i can put out my feeder tomorrow.
Keeping up on them is key, my wife always boils and makes a special blend... it's like crack for them lol.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Keeping up on them is key, my wife always boils and makes a special blend... it's like crack for them lol.
does she use anything other than sugar and water? i think i just use a 2:1 ratio but i’ll have to google again.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
does she use anything other than sugar and water? i think i just use a 2:1 ratio but i’ll have to google again.
Just sugar but she beefs up the ratio when it gets colder and the boiling helps the blending somehow.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Just sugar but she beefs up the ratio when it gets colder and the boiling helps the blending somehow.
yes i do boil it which i why i figured i wouldn’t hang my feed till tomorrow. 🙂

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
does she put red food coloring in? i read mixed reviews on that.

Top Bottom
1 2