Anti-Muslim attacks in Virginia politics

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Ads attacking a Muslim running for Congress in Virginia are trying to insinuate he is supporting terrorism. More anti-Muslim junk from the Republican Party.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ads attacking a Muslim running for Congress in Virginia are trying to insinuate he is supporting terrorism. More anti-Muslim junk from the Republican Party.

thanks for the link to the full article.

actually, my thinking, after reading through what Rashid actually did write in his past Twitter feeds, i wouldn't vote for him if i were in his district.
he has written about topics that almost all americans have deep feelings about, and the way he writes about those topics is sarcastic to me.

its clear that everything he wrote that is listed in article are fair points to make, but the way he flippantly wrote them, any and all misinterpretation is his own fault.

when he wrote, for example:
“Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Nigeria had the most terrorist attacks last year. Funny how America has bombed four of them.”
what he meant to more clearly be his point was that a circle of violence has been in effect those areas and terrorism feeds on such hate and conditions. at least i think that is his point.

anyway, he's not a terrorist by any means, but i woudnt vote for him. he's written immature things and that is coming back to be capitalised by his political opponent. we need to expect more from our D candidates.

*Different point about this kind of thing: just a few days ago i watched a movie called "The Big Sick" with Kumail Nanjiani.
and he makes at one point a joke about 911. it was not an offensive joke by any means - no, not even those who lost their loved ones in 911 would be offended. it just that the joke contained a reference to 911.
i remembered i was kind of shocked. i think that america needs more factual confronting of the legacy societal scars surrounding 911. not just memorialization of the event. but better understanding of its origins and the perception of america in the muslim world. this is what would make america safer. not just memorialization.

* i liked the movie (@niji rating: 3***). the ending has a very cathartic life guiding fulfilment to it.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
They're in the outer-lying suburbs of Washington, DC -- what used to be known as "the country" (and still is in by some people who live in the closer-in suburbs). The further south one goes in Virginia, the more rural it becomes, but also the whole political attitude shifts as well.... I'm happy to be in one of the closer-in suburbs, Fairfax County.....

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
thanks for the link to the full article.

actually, my thinking, after reading through what Rashid actually did write in his past Twitter feeds, i wouldn't vote for him if i were in his district.

its clear that everything he wrote that is listed in article are fair points to make, but the way he flippantly wrote them, any and all misinterpretation is his own fault.

when he wrote, for example:
“Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Nigeria had the most terrorist attacks last year. Funny how America has bombed four of them.”
what he meant to more clearly be his point was that a circle of violence has been in effect those areas and terrorism feeds on such hate and conditions. at least i think that is his point.

anyway, he's not a terrorist by any means, but i woudnt vote for him. he's written immature things and that is coming back to be capitalised by his political opponent. we need to expect more from our D candidates.
I don’t know if you have any Muslim friends that you follow on Twitter. There’s a very sarcastic tone concerning these issues in many of the accounts, because of the feeling that any Muslim is seen as a terrorist by many in America. Every day they hear about Muslim extremists. There are mass shootings by white people all over the country, but when a Muslim person did one, suddenly they call it a terrorist attack... they don’t call the other mass shooting events terrorism.

So the IKEA comment makes a lot of sense to me when I look at it from the Muslim person’s perspective. These types of tweets are a sarcastic comeback to the utter BS they put up with every day.

Wittman is the other choice in the district. He votes with Trump and wants to repeal Obamacare. He is very anti-immigrant, and spreads lies about them to make them look bad. I’ll take somebody with a few sarcastic tweets that might be considered in poor taste over a politician working to further limit immigration and to take healthcare away from millions of Americans.

Top Bottom
1 2