Any pizzaiolo’s here?

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Getting into pizza making. Just got the Ooni Koda 16.

Seasoning it now for first bake tomorrow.

Anyone else makes homemade pizza’s?

D4363C06-2C5F-48AF-B0B2-831244BAC81B.jpeg

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a weird thing going on in my house. I used to make homemade pretzels, pizza dough, etc. Starting a few years back, no matter what I do, I can’t get dough to rise. Doesn’t matter what water I use, water temperature, where I get the yeast, etc. It’s like there is some sort of yeast-zapping laser in my house.

Otherwise I’d definitely get into this - my wife has been suggesting we get a pizza oven.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We do, but we don't have a dedicated oven, wow, that's pretty slick - our oven is a convection setup, it does a nice job. We did make them with the BIL on his BGE, turned out pretty nice, we used Publix premade dough (which is pretty good).

We also do some from scratch crusts (though the Pubs dough is hard to beat), even a a low/no-carb crust, I know, I know, but it's fantastic, it's cheese based.

IMG_7184_1200.jpeg

Here's a Pubs crust:

IMG_8794 2_1200.jpeg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

View attachment 11257
Wife bought me one of those for Christmas. It has shipped, but not here yet. :(

I have made it in my Big Green Egg, but not recently. My B-I-L used to own some Bellacino's locations and we made some when he was here using their recipes.

I want to find a really good NY style pizza recipe. So if you have one you would be willing to share :) :) :)

It will be here by the weekend so I hope to fix something for Sunday's NFL games.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not that specific, but I recently got a Ninja toaster oven/air fryer and it has a setting and tray for fresh pizza. The tray sits directly on heating coils so it's a little different than just putting it on a cookie sheet in a regular oven.

I'm fresh pizza recipe-curious, but have never tried it before. I know just tossing fresh produce on a frozen pizza makes a big difference.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wife bought me one of those for Christmas. It has shipped, but not here yet. :(

I have made it in my Big Green Egg, but not recently. My B-I-L used to own some Bellacino's locations and we made some when he was here using their recipes.

I want to find a really good NY style pizza recipe. So if you have one you would be willing to share :) :) :)

It will be here by the weekend so I hope to fix something for Sunday's NFL games.

Dang! I ordered it last Tuesday from Best Buy from all places and it got here Friday.

Will do, but the intention is doing Neapolitan style pizza. So focusing on that.

I found this person on youtube and will be using this recipe. You know he is the real deal due to the classic Italian showmanship. :) He does have a recipe/instruction for NY style and Chicago style.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I found this person on youtube and will be using this recipe. You know he is the real deal due to the classic Italian showmanship. :) He does have a recipe/instruction for NY style and Chicago style.

Scratch dough is super fun, we've done "regular", all sorts of extra seasoning, even did our own calzones!

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am a huge pizza fan. I can't cook though (I can make rice-a-roni). I've tried to make my own dough but it usually comes out pretty inedible. I've had the privilege of eating pizza from a device in the OP's picture and it was nice. But it wasn't my oven or me cooking it.

I usually avoid buying pizza at a local pizza shop because I could eat it every day and I'd be 800 pounds if I did. And my bank isn't anywhere near the capability of affording that.

So I'll do those $7 CPK freezer pizzas and I've gotten pretty good at making those in the oven. (BBQ Chicken is my favorite). But doesn't really scratch the pizza itch.

I apologize - this isn't making own pizza but it's Petrilli's Pizza near my house and it tastes as good. Best pizza I've ever had.

1643064837215.png

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I freaking love pizza and we have several really good mom-and-pop shops in town.

And now that I've seen that picture, I'm gonna have to call one of them up.

Hahaha, yes, we're doing some kind of pizza, probably homemade this weekend, motivated by this thread.

There's a good local place just a mile or so south of us, nice outdoor seating, usually a couple of killer drafts (they had Southern Tier Sugar cookie, OMG ...), they make a killer stromboli :cool:

IMG_0466_1200.jpeg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I freaking love pizza and we have several really good mom-and-pop shops in town.

And now that I've seen that picture, I'm gonna have to call one of them up.

Are you in Columbus or Cleveland? I know you like the Browns, but something makes me think you are in Columbus. So if you are, please share the mom & pops. We make it to Columbus at least once a month.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

View attachment 11257
Wow, haven't made pizza in like 25 years. Used a conventional oven, but went the whole nine yards on everything else: pizza stone, pizza peel, artisanal ingredients and and techniques from Italians I knew. Took a few tries to get it right, but once I did. Loved having my younger siblings and at the time, my gf's younger siblings make their own pizzas. They were beyond ecstatic about making their own pizza with whatever ingredients they wanted. Even corn and pineapple. :sick:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Made our first pizzas on it yesterday. Burned the first one. Found out a wood pizza peel will not work. It just kept pushing it back in the oven.

So we finished with a large spatula and the wife ordered a peel from Ooni today.

But the pizza was great given we used premade crusts and jar sauce.

The cheese was OK. It was Kroger's pizza blend. I will use it again, but add some more provolone.

FYI, the heat coming out of the stack is perfect for roasting marshmallows.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
We are planning to make pizza again tomorrow night. So far we haven't tried making our own dough, instead using pre-made ones from the store.

Are you making your own sauce as well?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I just made the rough dough for tomorrow. Used the recipe off the bag of pizza flour I bought and right now it is doing the first rise. Says 12-24 hours at room temp. Going to split it in the morning and refrigerate it until afternoon. And finally found some semolina flour as well.

I was planning on trying the wood/charcoal instead of gas, but it is just too chilly to mess with that. It can wait for a 60+ (15) degree day.

Now going to watch some videos on how to throw the dough.

Top Bottom
1 2