Any Unreal Engine Experts Here?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
And it turns out the LODs is one thing I ended up skipping in the official UE Intro Tutorial.

Fortunately, LODs aren't all that difficult to grasp. They're literally just lower poly versions of your objects.

Most of the work is handled in Unreal. For Blender, all you need to do is make multiple versions of your model, and export them individually. Give them a name like Object_lod0, and Object_lod1 for easy reference.

If you use the Blender To Unreal addon from Epic, you may be able to do it all at once by piling everything into the Mesh collection before exporting.

Renzatic

Reaction score
After thinking about it a bit, I realized you could throw anything you want into those LOD fields. For example, you could have your trees turn into giant woodchucks once they're a certain distance away from the camera.

It'd be a great way to screw with people's expectations.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
After thinking about it a bit, I realized you could throw anything you want into those LOD fields. For example, you could have your trees turn into giant woodchucks once they're a certain distance away from the camera.

It'd be a great way to screw with people's expectations.
Note: Don't worry if this is a lot to ask. I've also posted this over at the UE forums...

This is my situation. I am ready to throw rocks and stumps into the forest scene. I found what I thought was good stuff Using Quixel Bridge. So I've downloaded a bunch of rocks, stumps, grasses, etc. Now when it comes time to use it, I've picked for example a Mossy Embankment (Ti0qeiuda) and I've got all sorts of textures, textures allocated to LODs, but there is no static mesh associated with this.

In the Unreal Engine tutorial regarding LODs there are some static meshes with LOD in the label but they are static meshes. I'm trying to figure out why this Mossy Embankment has no static meshes.
  • Might this have something to do with this being labeled as an assembly?
  • Even so if this assembly represents multiple static meshes, shouldn't they be in the package?
  • The stump is just an asset, it does not seem to have static meshes with it either.
Now I have looked at my Quixel download setting and it might be there, it is set to the default download and I'm not seeing any place to choose to download static meshes.
I've included screenshots of my download settings from Quixel Bridge.

If you have any thoughts on this, it would be appreciated... at your leisure. :)

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 7.55.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 7.54.48 PM.png

For the mossy embankment I downloaded this:
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 7.55.53 PM.png

The stump:

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 7.57.31 PM.png

Last edited:

Renzatic

Reaction score
When you bring the object into Unreal, do you only see the textures in the asset folder? I just downloaded it, didn't import it into anything, and it's given me all the various textures, and the .fbx files for the various meshes. From there, I opened it up in Blender, and assigned all the various textures to it no problem.

I'd try to import into Unreal for you, but since my install of UE is janky, the plugin won't work for some reason. I have to do it all manually, which isn't difficult to do, but doesn't help you out directly.

Here's a shot of all the various LODs on the model. As you can see, each progressive step on the LOD field is has fewer and fewer polygons.

LODLog.jpg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
When you bring the object into Unreal, do you only see the textures in the asset folder? I just downloaded it, didn't import it into anything, and it's given me all the various textures, and the .fbx files for the various meshes. From there, I opened it up in Blender, and assigned all the various textures to it no problem.

I'd try to import into Unreal for you, but since my install of UE is janky, the plugin won't work for some reason. I have to do it all manually, which isn't difficult to do, but doesn't help you out directly.

Here's a shot of all the various LODs on the model. As you can see, each progressive step on the LOD field is has fewer and fewer polygons.

View attachment 9998
Have a pleasant TDay!

Apparently dragging the asset folder into UE did not bring in the .fbx files or it’s just another case of newb error. :unsure:

Ok, now I have picked them specifically, imported them and see the static meshes. When I double clicked on them I expected to see an associated material, They have no materials or textures assigned to them. There is an empty material slot and under a texture label, there are two textures listed, T_Default_Materil Grid_N and T_Default_Materil Grid_M, but if I select either of these, nothing happens.

Now I remember from another landscape tutorial that the author actually built materials (which I have) for his rocks and plants. I’ll have to revisit this.

I’d like to ask in Blender what general steps you had to take to “assign textures”? Was there a material included with this downloaded asset? In my brief experience, I have been working with materials where I plug in textures into it at the appropriate slots, and then assign that material to an asset (static mesh), but mostly aI have been working with landscape materials, versus objects like rocks/trees so this is new territory for me.

For UE I’m seeing all the textures sitting in the asset folder, but no material. From a landscape tutorial I do have 2 materials designed for rocks and plants. I can try those and until I try it, I assume I can assign the textures to the material, and assign the material to the “material” slot in this mesh and see what happens.

As I just completed the Intro to Unreal Engine tutorial, LOD section, I’m going to let UE create the LODs so I’ll just keep the LOD0 and work from that.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Apparently dragging the asset folder into UE did not bring in the .fbx files or it’s just another case of newb error.

No idea as far as the .fbx files go. I'm not sure how Bridge does its thing between it and UE. A manual import would work though, just rightclick in the asset browser, and select "import from folder."

Ok, now I have picked them specifically, imported them and see the static meshes. When I double clicked on them I expected to see an associated material, They have no materials or textures assigned to them. There is an empty material slot and under a texture label, there are two textures listed, T_Default_Materil Grid_N and T_Default_Materil Grid_M, but if I select either of these, nothing happens.

By default, it should have all the textures applied in their specific places without any extra work on your end. Why it's not? I dunno. You'll have to ask them. :p

Though it sounds like the basic framework for the material is already set up, and you just have to lead the various nodes to their various texture images.

I’d like to ask in Blender what general steps you had to take to “assign textures”? Was there a material included with this downloaded asset? In my brief experience, I have been working with materials where I plug in textures into it at the appropriate slots, and then assign that material to an asset (static mesh), but mostly aI have been working with landscape materials, versus objects like rocks/trees so this is new territory for me.

Just like this. It's not vastly different, other than working with a single material stack, rather than 3.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
No idea as far as the .fbx files go. I'm not sure how Bridge does its thing between it and UE. A manual import would work though, just rightclick in the asset browser, and select "import from folder."

By default, it should have all the textures applied in their specific places without any extra work on your end. Why it's not? I dunno. You'll have to ask them. :p

Though it sounds like the basic framework for the material is already set up, and you just have to lead the various nodes to their various texture images.

Just like this. It's not vastly different, other than working with a single material stack, rather than 3.

That’s what I was expecting to see that material node structure! When I double click on the static mesh, I’m just seeing it‘s picture and details. I need to get that grid to show up. :)
Thanks!

Renzatic

Reaction score
That’s what I was expecting to see that material node structure! When I double click on the static mesh, I’m just seeing it‘s picture and details. I need to get that grid to show up. :)
Thanks!

You can make a new material yourself by rightclicking in the asset menu, and selecting the appropriate field. From there, just add your textures in, then drag and drop it onto the mesh.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You can make a new material yourself by rightclicking in the asset menu, and selecting the appropriate field. From there, just add your textures in, then drag and drop it onto the mesh.
Thanks for your help!

Update, I found what I was missing, on the LOD0 Static Mesh, double clicking on the Material Slot, pulled up the material node structure I was looking for. There is a material there. I just have to figure out which textures go where.
In this asset pack there are the following textures:
* Albedo
* Cavity
* Displacement
* Normal
* Roughness

In the material structure there are places for texture samples to go in
* Noise- would that be Cavity, Displacement, or Roughness?

A texture that feeds both (Albedo?)
* Create Base Color
* Roughness

The one I've not seem before is a texture located in a grouping called "Checkerboard Divisions", which texture would this be? My guess I can play with the textures I have and see what happens.
:):)

d107aa480bb1d8f61cc00d1138eade1b1d1c6f6d.jpeg

Update2:
UE can be complicated, and sorry for the flailing online. Now I’m wondering if the material node structure I pulled up above was part of the downloading of this asset or if it is different part of the project that I just happened to choose. And if I am expected to use a material I made or if one is included with the download.

Maybe I’ll go eat some turkey and think about it... :)

Last edited:

Renzatic

Reaction score
UE can be complicated, and sorry for the flailing online. Now I’m wondering if the material node structure I pulled up above was part of the downloading of this asset or if it is different part of the project that I just happened to choose. And if I am expected to use a material I made or if one is included with the download.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that's a part of another material meant for something else entirely. The Megascan material shouldn't be anywhere near that complicated.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
If I had to take a guess, I'd say that's a part of another material meant for something else entirely. The Megascan material shouldn't be anywhere near that complicated.
I think I have it sorted out. I’m almost certain I dragged in a folder for several assets (rocks and stumps) from megascans, after downloading them, but there was no meshes, then there were all these textures with LOD labels on them I started thinking these were somehow supposed to be meshes.

So it turns out there were .fbx files associated with these assets those folders that had not been transferred into the project, and that there are no materials that come with them. So I used the material I made following along with a landscape tutorial which works well.

So megascans does not include materials with their asset downloads and a material must be assigned to this asset. (I knew the latter :unsure:). Materials are not included which makes sense in hind sight since each DCC program would have it’s own methodology to handle textures. At a minimum you could always just make a simple material and attach the associated textures to the appropriate nodes,

I’ve assumed up till now that a material simply applies textures to an entire mesh, spreading this textures or qualities over the entire object, and that any variation in the color if a rock is because those textures have the variations painted into them. Yesterday I looked at some rock assemblies that seem to include say moss, or a log and wondered would there be separate meshes that require separate materials? Yet, the mesh seemed to be one piece. Maybe aI need to look at it again. Here is an example:

2E7131AD-576D-498D-ABFD-88DC9DF8D4BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Renzatic

Reaction score
Right. If you're downloading all your assets straight from Bridge, it's going to give you just the files necessary to get it working elsewhere. It won't provide you any tailor made materials specific to whatever engine or DCC you're using. Though you can add in a plugin that will link Bridge to UE, and export the assets directly into your project without any more futzing on your end.

I’ve assumed up till now that a material simply applies textures to an entire mesh, spreading this textures or qualities over the entire object, and that any variation in the color if a rock is because those textures have the variations painted into them. Yesterday I looked at some rock assemblies that seem to include say moss, or a log and wondered would there be separate meshes that require separate materials? Yet, the mesh seemed to be one piece. Maybe aI need to look at it again.

Materials are very versatile things, that can range from one specific type of surface, like, say, wet stone, to a mix and match of many textures, like an rotting log with and old rusted truck door resting against it.

Think of it in terms of what you want to do, and how much memory can be saved by grouping more and more together. Like you have one object that's the center of your scene. For the sake of conversation, we'll say it's an old cannon propped up on a wooden chest next to a big rock. You could do all these objects separately, but then you'd need a material for the rock, the cannon, and the chest. That's at least 9 image textures right there. But if you combine them on the same UV sheet, and bake them out, you can have all three of these separate surfaces on one material stack.

...of course you'd need to consider resolution/texel density once you start getting good, but don't worry about that for now.

So in the case of your example above, the log, the ground, the sticks, and the moss are all on the same texture sheet, combined into the same mesh. You save a bit of memory doing things that way, but you lose some flexibility, only being able to splash that entire object around without having access to its individual parts unless you break them by hand in a DCC.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Hey, Huntn. I know this is more Blender than UE, but it does an excellent job of teaching you the basics of procedural texturing, which itself isn't vastly removed from what you're doing, in a way that's very intuitive and easy to follow.

Yeah, it costs $45 (normally $60), but I'm finding it to be a godsend. I bought it mainly because I wanted to learn more about math nodes, and thus far, it's been worth every penny.

Renzatic

Reaction score
And another one for you. Even better, this one's free!

It explains all the various settings in the PBR stack, which are the same across Blender and UE.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
And another one for you. Even better, this one's free!

It explains all the various settings in the PBR stack, which are the same across Blender and UE.

On my to do list.

Right now I’m frustrated with the Official Intro to Unreal Engine Tutorial. While throwing out a ton of info, there are areas that do not do a good job getting a novice started. Regarding my learning project, the Forest Scene, I’ve reshaped the road structure, got the textures down (subject to change) and have placed some assets. I reminded myself to set up the LODs using UE’s automated system. So I went back to this tutorial and it is awful, from this standpoint, it does not explain how to set them up from scratch. The narrator, when he starts talking about LODs, he already has multiple LODs sitting in his project, he is in giving tips mode, but never gets around to explaining how to create these things from scratch. I’ve found the UE LOD documentation which seems to have potential so i’ll be looking at this this evening along with a third party tutorial, and actually deciding whether setting these things up manually or using the automated system is better.

Renzatic

Reaction score
The narrator, when he starts talking about LODs, he already has multiple LODs sitting in his project, he is in giving tips mode, but never gets around to explaining how to create these things from scratch.

I hate when they do that. Those tutorials that take these complicated setups as self evidence, and just breeze their way through it without explaining of the fine details.

Yeah, they're obvious...when you're used to it, but there are a couple of steps between A and Z that need to be discussed for the newbies.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not asking you Ren, to do anything. Another day, another *4%@!! road block. This is getting frustrating.

I posted this over at Unreal Forums...
I'm following this tutorial: https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/...es/StaticMeshes/HowTo/AutomaticLODGeneration/
  • I’m following the instructions. I have altered the BaseEngine.ini file by copy/pasting the text into the link as the last item.
  • I have opened a static mesh’s editor (for a small rock), opened the LOD settings section in details, changed the LOD Group to: Small Prop. The number of LODs is set to 4.
At this point according to the link, in the SM details sections, in addition to LOD 0, new LODs 1-3 should auto appear. They are not appearing.
Any idea what might be the issue? I’m stumped at this point, no surprise there.

Update: Now that I’ve made this change to the SM_Rock LOD group, if I look at this static mesh in the content browser, it does say “LODs:4”. And I realized that this tutorial was probably made under an older version of UE?

So if there are 4 LODs, where do I find them in the Details section for this mesh? In the link above, after you have assigned this message to the LOD Group: Small Prop, it shows right under Material Slots in the details section, LODs listed one above the other, LOD0, LOD1, LOD2, LOD3. This is not happening when I follow these instructions.
Thanks!

Renzatic

Reaction score
You're really dealing with stuff here you shouldn't be worried about until way later. Though LODs are important, it's something you could comfortably skip for the time being, and come back to later once you have a better foundation of the basics.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You're really dealing with stuff here you shouldn't be worried about until way later. Though LODs are important, it's something you could comfortably skip for the time being, and come back to later once you have a better foundation of the basics.
They were mentioned in the intro, there is nothing in the description that should be difficult about this. Either there is something basic I overlooked or there is something not working properly. I’m realizing now (I think) that in the UE Intro tutorial, when the narrator assigns an asset to a LOD group, this is where the auto system kicks in, you get a message about settings being overwritten, this is when the new LOD categories like LOD1, LOD2, are supposed to appear in the asset description, but they are not. Hopefully I’ll get an answer from the forum.

Regarding not worrying about it now, are you saying at this point in the project, or are you saying in the big picture of learning?

Top Bottom
1 2