Anyone here do drone or GoPro stuff?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have had a GoPro since the Hero 3 and am waiting to see what happens tomorrow with the release of the 10. I am still running an 8 and never went to a 9 because I would need all new batteries (I have probably a dozen for the 5-8's), but the Hypersmooth 4.0 has me wanting a 10.

As for drones, I have an Autel Evo 1. Went with it because it doesn't enforce airspace restrictions like the DJI does and one place we ride, and want drone footage of, is close to an old abandoned airport. The DJI still has this as a no-fly zone, but you can't get FAA clearance because the FAA says it's not an airport so they won't issue it.

Autel seems to be a mess right now. Their new President just resigned after a few months, they are EOL's stuff right and left. Just a mess.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have had a GoPro since the Hero 3 and am waiting to see what happens tomorrow with the release of the 10. I am still running an 8 and never went to a 9 because I would need all new batteries (I have probably a dozen for the 5-8's), but the Hypersmooth 4.0 has me wanting a 10.

As for drones, I have an Autel Evo 1. Went with it because it doesn't enforce airspace restrictions like the DJI does and one place we ride, and want drone footage of, is close to an old abandoned airport. The DJI still has this as a no-fly zone, but you can't get FAA clearance because the FAA says it's not an airport so they won't issue it.

Autel seems to be a mess right now. Their new President just resigned after a few months, they are EOL's stuff right and left. Just a mess.
I haven't tried the GoPro yet because my photography is mostly stationary. However, I've been interested in the DJI for long time now but like you say, the restrictions seem way too strict but in the bay area they cheat it somehow because they're always flying in no-fly zones.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
the restrictions seem way too strict but in the bay area they cheat it somehow because they're always flying in no-fly zones.

You can apply for authorization from the FAA. Once you get it, you can fly in certain no-fly zones. It is all online and sometimes you can get authorization in minutes.

Autel has an new firmware update that does add their ability to enforce no-fly zones (as of now it is turned off, but they can turn it on anytime), but I haven't loaded it and probably won't as long as my drone can fly.

Camera wise both Autel and DJI are very similar. One may have an advantage over the other in one spec, but the other will have it for a different spec.

Top Bottom
1 2