Apple Care Update / Improvement

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just got this email …

Unlimited incidents (accidents) now, retroactively updated on existing AC (you still have to pay per, but it used to be limited to 2 per 12 months)

1662782206120.png

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
SO glad Apple finally did this!!! Me, I (almost) never drop my phone - the wife?! I think she didn't go a week after the last replacement before there was a crack from one corner to half-way through the other side. *sigh*. (forced her to live with it for awhile as penance) :D

Now, that being said - I'm going to make her start paying for her own repairs (deductible) - an incentive to try to be a little more careful with the damn thing! :D

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it used to be one claim per 12 months? Then they upped it to two. I'm glad they did this. For the price I should be able to do unlimited claims.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think it used to be one claim per 12 months? Then they upped it to two. I'm glad they did this. For the price I should be able to do unlimited claims.

Yeah, that's one of those things where - as the company offering it - you kind of have to roll the dice a little in terms of cost vs. how many people will do more than X.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I just got a notification that my AC+ has expired on my 2018 Mini (I knew it was some time in Nov '22), and I've got my offer to extend it. I thought the extended AC (after the original period) was a monthly (or had an option for monthly), the only plan is yearly, but still seems like a great deal for just $34.99

1667845313516.png

And of course this is under the new policy with unlimited accidental damage repairs.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Heh...definitely seems worthwhile - do they get to a point that they'll have to upgrade you to an M2 (when it's out) because they no longer have the components for the 2018? :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Right? I understand I can keep renewing the AC, so like 5 years from now, when this machine is a decade old and craps out, then what? Replacement? Maybe a new ... I'd guess M3 or M4 by then? :D

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Right? I understand I can keep renewing the AC, so like 5 years from now, when this machine is a decade old and craps out, then what? Replacement? Maybe a new ... I'd guess M3 or M4 by then? :D

I wonder if they will allow you to renew once they put the machine on the “vintage” list

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Good question.

Since it's a year-to-year renewal, I suppose they could just stop offering it at any end of AC contract, once the machine (or device) goes into a specific status.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I just got a notification that my AC+ has expired on my 2018 Mini (I knew it was some time in Nov '22), and I've got my offer to extend it. I thought the extended AC (after the original period) was a monthly (or had an option for monthly), the only plan is yearly, but still seems like a great deal for just $34.99
That does sound like a great deal. I suppose it depends upon how much you value your Mac mini and its ultimate longevity. If I recall correctly, you purchased one of the high-end models, so it may be worth it, even if you plan to hand it down to a family member or friend. I've got the original 2018 base model, with a Core i3 and 128GB SSD, so even at that great price for the extended warranty, I wouldn't spend the funds on mine. If it dies, then I'd have an excuse to upgrade, so I would rather spend the $34.99 on a computer game rather than a warranty that will probably never be used. I think that's why the price is so low, because it's unlikely to break.

These Mac minis are built like battle axes. I've recently put mine through Dante's circles, including the involuntary intake of acidic scented candle wax, spending weeks outside in the elements to purge the "essential oils", fending off parasitic insects that would make it into a hive, the bottom temporarily falling off thanks to freezing cold temperatures, going through a torture test loop to heat it to unfathomable levels, ramping the fan into a tornadic maelstrom, and even evading porch pirates who probably realize that it's not worth stealing because it's x86.

If my Mac mini dies, it would be: "Oh no! How terrible, I guess I'll have to purchase an Apple Silicon Mac. Woe is me!". However, I believe your model is of value, so I see no reason not to re-up, if you're getting good use out of it and plan on keeping it for a while.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's a decently stout config: i7, 32GB RAM (OEM), 512GB storage.

However, now that I've migrated all my Windows related work to the new notebook (from the Parallels VM on the Mini), it's not as mission critical, and I also don't really need an Intel based Mac anymore, except for the next couple of months, where it would be a good backup for the Windows machine (we have something major going down with one of our applications).

I guess I figure, it's only ~$35, and once I pay that, I know I have an Intel Mac for the next year that won't cost me anything else.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Compared to my Mac mini, that's a powerhouse. It was the bottom of the barrel when I got it for $600 on Black Friday 2018.

i3 3.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD. To try to keep it going I added a BlackMagic RX 580 eGPU and 64GB of system memory.

I guess I figure, it's only ~$35, and once I pay that, I know I have an Intel Mac for the next year that won't cost me anything else.
I have no use for 64GB of system memory. I don't think I've ever gone above 20GB. However, when I bought it, RAM was cheap, so there wasn't any reason to not splurge on it, and I rarely do that. You're right that $35 isn't much for the extended warranty, so it's not a big deal. I'd still probably spend it on games, but of course my Mac mini has "seen a lot" and will need replacing sooner rather than later. Your Mac mini is still a reasonably capable machine.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score

However, now that I've migrated all my Windows related work to the new notebook (from the Parallels VM on the Mini), it's not as mission critical, and I also don't really need an Intel based Mac anymore, except for the next couple of months, where it would be a good backup for the Windows machine (we have something major going down with one of our applications).

Since AC is transferable, it should also increase the resale value.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Since AC is transferable, it should also increase the resale value.

I had that in the back of my mind too, a machine with warranty vs. not, and $35 is easily offset by the higher value in the former. I could see possibly selling this Mini after the first of the year, once the dust settles around here after this particular business transaction, I could definitely get rid of the last Intel Mac we own (wife has an M1 MBA, daughter has an M2 MBA, and there's a "displayless" M1 MBP sitting on a desk about 10 feet from me :) )

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yep, seemed silly not to get another year coverage for $35, and creates way better value in the used market if I decide not to keep it.

So done and done :)

1668176244385.png

Top Bottom
1 2