Apple ceasing sales of Apple Watch 9/Ultra 2

JRLMustang

Power User
Reaction score
So looks like I was right. Made perfect sense—disable the function until this case has been completely exhausted via litigation or settlement. If resolved, then turn the functionality back on, if not keep it disabled.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like if your watch’s part number ends in LW/A, then it is disabled. So they actually assigned these watches a different part number.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not quite as simple as that since 2021, when Apple switched to random serial numbers. The old ones encoded lots of info like year/week of manufacture, which would be perfect, but the new ones have no known structure.

The SoC probably has a few OTP memory bits not allocated to any specific function. If so, they could just start programming one at the factory as a flag for "disable pulse oximetry (for now)".
Pretty sure the batteries also have manufacture dates on them they could use.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They simply changed the model number going forward for sales only in the US.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Side note, just anecdotally speaking in my experience this sensor is all over the place and not reliable. I have COPD and monitor my oxygen pretty regularly using a standard finger sensor (was particularly useful when I had COVID) and the Apple Watch constantly gives wrong numbers with pretty wild swings both ways, even when snug with no movement. IMO it is nowhere near accurate and I would never rely on it.

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
Side note, just anecdotally speaking in my experience this sensor is all over the place and not reliable. I have COPD and monitor my oxygen pretty regularly using a standard finger sensor (was particularly useful when I had COVID) and the Apple Watch constantly gives wrong numbers with pretty wild swings both ways, even when snug with no movement. IMO it is nowhere near accurate and I would never rely on it.
I’m sorry to hear that. technically it’s not listed as a medical device unlike the ECG function. Also don’t take my next comment as a response to what you said, because i read this story and wanted to share this link, and I just saw what you wrote before I did share it. So again, it’s not in response to what you wrote. I hope you’re able to get a device that works for you on that function.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’m sorry to hear that. technically it’s not listed as a medical device unlike the ECG function. Also don’t take my next comment as a response to what you said, because i read this story and wanted to share this link, and I just saw what you wrote before I did share it. So again, it’s not in response to what you wrote. I hope you’re able to get a device that works for you on that function.
No offense taken. I think in some situations it's likely beneficial as in the case you cited, particularly if it really drops. For me it's just a matter of a 2 or 3 points off (which can be significant depending on the condition) but if you're losing a lot of oxygen and drop down into the 80s or something dire like that I'm sure it would pick that up and flag it.

Top Bottom
1 2