Apple employees whine about having to return to work

D

Deleted member 199

The interesting thing in these topics is always the reasons given not to support remote working.

There are some legitimate barriers, depending on the role. But a lot of the excuses given are often just that: excuses.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think this is another example of tech workers losing perspective outside their bubble. Millions of people lost their jobs or didn't have an option to work from home. Many tech workers left the area (while still being able to work) because of the insane cost of living with no real benefit when everything was closed down. Meanwhile they are completely oblivious that those closed businesses meant people actually lost their job and the insane cost of living is because of tech industry salaries.

So whaaaaa, have to actually show up to work that is outside your living room. Oh that humanity!!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think this is another example of tech workers losing perspective outside their bubble. Millions of people lost their jobs or didn't have an option to work from home. Many tech workers left the area (while still being able to work) because of the insane cost of living with no real benefit when everything was closed down. Meanwhile they are completely oblivious that those closed businesses meant people actually lost their job and the insane cost of living is because of tech industry salaries.

So whaaaaa, have to actually show up to work that is outside your living room. Oh that humanity!!
A lot of people moved from the Bay Area to the central valley for cheaper housing and some of the companies they worked at are now requiring them to come back into the office. I would've never moved without assurances that remote work would be permanent, it sounds like many took a chance on that.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score

I see so many people whining about having to come back into work. People I know that are working from home are just fucking around most of the time from what I can see.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
A lot of people moved from the Bay Area to the central valley for cheaper housing and some of the companies they worked at are now requiring them to come back into the office. I would've never moved without assurances that remote work would be permanent, it sounds like many took a chance on that.

Well they can just move their asses back or find a job elsewhere. I’m sure they won’t have much of an issue finding work elsewhere and they can go destroy the cost of living in those places too. Oregon and Idaho are already complaining about the cost of living plague that is the migrated California techies. I’m sure Austin TX isn’t too far behind. We can finally get the age-old question answered, can a city have too many microbrewery board game bike shops.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's going to become more of an option now with more competitive companies.

Until shit starts not getting done.

I'm somewhat on the fence about this in general because I don't believe everybody in tech needs to work in the bay area. If there was ever an industry that could explore the global space more it's tech....and I mean a lot more than they are already doing. So you have 2% of your total staff working in Atlanta. Yippy, Make it more like 10% and spread it around elsewhere too. We have the technology where there shouldn't be a center of any industry anymore. Go spread the wealth around. In fact you'll probably save money initially digging a dying town out of the dirt. You could probably pay a starting programmer there the same wage as an SF fast food employee.

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
I know if it were me, I'd jump at the chance to work there, no matter how many days a week. But each employee will have different needs I guess.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

I'm somewhat on the fence about this in general because I don't believe everybody in tech needs to work in the bay area. If there was ever an industry that could explore the global space more it's tech....and I mean a lot more than they are already doing. So you have 2% of your total staff working in Atlanta. Yippy, Make it more like 10% and spread it around elsewhere too. We have the technology where there shouldn't be a center of any industry anymore. Go spread the wealth around. In fact you'll probably save money initially digging a dying town out of the dirt. You could probably pay a starting programmer there the same wage as an SF fast food employee.
I thought that's what supervisors were for?

Plenty of companies learned over time how to adapt to the brief norm. Now some want it be the regular norm. If they can show they get it done like before, that's an honest argument. Over the old, there needs to be a watchful physical eye at all times.

I kind of dug how the pandemic helped the environment.

If some don't mind going in, I'm sure they are going to love if more others stay home to ease their commute. Some need the social interaction some don't, but we've learned that not every job needs to be physically present in front of some boss.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I would work more from home if my boss wasn’t a psycho micromanager. She requested us send her our daily tasks list of what we worked on from home but once she started quizzing me on the stuff on my task list that I would email her each day after work I was over it. She has always been a micromanager and a horrible leader so I try to deal with her only when I need to LOL Once she started asking me questions on my task list like she didn’t trust that I was actually working at home I was over it and told her I would work in the office going forward. So I have pretty much been in the office the entire pandemic because it helps to have her off my back with her trust issues. I work from home maybe once a month and it’s usually for things I’m having delivered that I need to be home for. But other than that I’ve been in the office.

D

Deleted member 199

I think this is another example of tech workers losing perspective outside their bubble. Millions of people lost their jobs or didn't have an option to work from home.
That's kind of irrelevant though.

Coal miners have to go work in a coal mine - that doesn't mean everyone who has a job everywhere does.

Many tech workers left the area (while still being able to work) because of the insane cost of living with no real benefit when everything was closed down.

I don't know the specifics of where they might have moved to, or whether commuting is still possible, but I agree that this is a mis-step on the workers' part, if they're unable/unwilling to return to the office because of a move they made without any consultation with their employer about working remotely.

People I know that are working from home are just fucking around most of the time from what I can see.

Yes, remote work relies on management being able to measure the output of their workers, to identify how productive they are.

You know, kind of like they should be doing anyway, for the staff in an office.

If you think "bums on seats" in a physical shared office is a meaningful metric for how productive a team/person is, or how much work is being done, I have some news for you, and you're not going to like it.

D

Deleted member 199

Over the old, there needs to be a watchful physical eye at all times.
The problem with the "watchful eye" method is that it largely assumes "in the office for 8 hours" means "working for 8 hours".

This demonstrates either a mind boggling lack of imagination on the part of the 'watchful eye', or extremely diligent workers - who would probably be just as diligent from a remote office.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I thought the deal outlined by Apple was very generous. Many companies are retracting the option completely. I’m thankful I work for a company where it’s been an option for many years and I still get to choose whether I come in or not. They are people here where I work where it’s the last option you’d offer them though and the pandemic exposed that they need to be managed closely lol.

In regards to Apple and these particular employees, if they don’t like the package offered where they get to work between home and office, I’d go to consultancy with them.

Top Bottom
1 2