Apple Mail

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm running Big Sur and somewhere along the line Apple Mail got some kind of makeover in the toolbar department.

Anyway what I need to know is this: is there a way to move or better yet REMOVE the "Filter" button/option from the array of toolbar options at top of the mail viewer window?

I could swear I never saw that before this version of Mail or this version of MacOS, and now when I try to customize the toolbar for the viewer, that item appears to be permanently affixed at the leftmost of all selected options from the customization array.

So... if one does not use "Filter" and chooses relatively few other options for the toolbar, this also means that "Filter" appears not only leftmost but about midway across the toolbar space instead of having the trailing space at the right, even if you stick a bunch of hard spaces between "Filter" and one's otherwise designated "first" item in the toolbar.

I have no idea why Apple did this. But it's annoying and can be alarming as well, since I have no filters set up and so when I inadvertently hit "Filter" while processing contents of a given inbox, everythinig "disappears" from the box until I toggle the stupid "Filter" option again.

I have tried everything I know to do... using a default toolbar array, ditching almost everything and putting a bunch of hard coded spaces at the left, putting "flexible space" in different places, yada yada. All this bc I just want to move "Filter" leftward and make some major space between it and other options, or else get rid of "Filter" entirely, but it is not removable and I guess I can understand that , even if I don't use it. My idea of filtering amounts to hitting the delete key if a better place than the inbox doesn't come to mind immediately once I've read an email or realized I've no intention of reading it.

Ugh! Any suggestions? Maybe I need a new mail client. This might tip it for me...

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm running Big Sur and somewhere along the line Apple Mail got some kind of makeover in the toolbar department.

Anyway what I need to know is this: is there a way to move or better yet REMOVE the "Filter" button/option from the array of toolbar options at top of the mail viewer window?

I could swear I never saw that before this version of Mail or this version of MacOS, and now when I try to customize the toolbar for the viewer, that item appears to be permanently affixed at the leftmost of all selected options from the customization array.

So... if one does not use "Filter" and chooses relatively few other options for the toolbar, this also means that "Filter" appears not only leftmost but about midway across the toolbar space instead of having the trailing space at the right, even if you stick a bunch of hard spaces between "Filter" and one's otherwise designated "first" item in the toolbar.

I have no idea why Apple did this. But it's annoying and can be alarming as well, since I have no filters set up and so when I inadvertently hit "Filter" while processing contents of a given inbox, everythinig "disappears" from the box until I toggle the stupid "Filter" option again.

I have tried everything I know to do... using a default toolbar array, ditching almost everything and putting a bunch of hard coded spaces at the left, putting "flexible space" in different places, yada yada. All this bc I just want to move "Filter" leftward and make some major space between it and other options, or else get rid of "Filter" entirely, but it is not removable and I guess I can understand that , even if I don't use it. My idea of filtering amounts to hitting the delete key if a better place than the inbox doesn't come to mind immediately once I've read an email or realized I've no intention of reading it.

Ugh! Any suggestions? Maybe I need a new mail client. This might tip it for me...
The filter item cannot be removed from the toolbar. In the default view, it’s actually a part of the message list pane, separate from the message pane.

lizkat

Reaction score
The filter item cannot be removed from the toolbar. In the default view, it’s actually a part of the message list pane, separate from the message pane.

Maybe what I need to do is switch to default view then, at least it's separated. Thanks. Not my fave view but that alignment has made me nuts lately.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Maybe what I need to do is switch to default view then, at least it's separated. Thanks. Not my fave view but that alignment has made me nuts lately.
You could also place a separator item or a blank space between it and the other items I believe…

lizkat

Reaction score
You could also place a separator item or a blank space between it and the other items I believe…

I couldn't really get the effect I wanted that way, even with multiple hard spaces. Tired of messing with it, I settled for the default view, it's better than it was, thanks again. Apple must be signaling it's time to let go of the old viewer window format.

Top Bottom
1 2