Apple Matter

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I know this is mentioned in the WWDC thread but thought it deserved it's own post. IMO this is the most sensible move Apple has made in a long time, to unify all of these services under a single umbrella while getting all of the vendors onboard is going to be huge, something the industry has needed for a long time.

Hopefully this will be the end of multiple clunky apps and compatibility issues, one simple symbol on the device ensures it will work in their ecosystem. Can't wait for this to come out.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm currently very happy with my home automation setup and the level of customization and programmability of the system and devices (sensors, cameras, dimmers, outlets, PIRs, reed switches, network, etc). And especially the ability to easily custom design my phone/tablet/Mac user interfaces. It has served me well for 10 years being super flexible and reliable, and easy/quick to make changes.

That said, I'm watching Matter's development - but more as a Plan B should that ever become necessary. Sounds like a great idea for interoperability between different devices and protocols; though so far that has yet to be a hinderance for me.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I was pretty happy myself until Google took over Nest and are now forcing you out of their beautiful app into that Frankenstein patchwork piece of shit app Google Home. Any new cameras you buy are forced into it and they are going to be deprecating the Nest app. They also completely abandoned Nest Secure just after I spent hundreds on a new system with all the sensors, etc. So I'm 100% done with Google appliances going forward, their search engine is great, I'll just stick with that.

Still looking for an alternative, lots of great stuff out there, but using their proprietary apps is always the sticking point. Apple unifying this is a winning strategy IMO so no matter what you buy you'll no longer have to worry about compatibility. Just sounds like they still need more time to get it off the ground but all the majors have already singed on.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The google takeover of Nest forced me to switch my thermostats to ecobee, which work fine but with a worse interface. I’ve been using August locks for a long time, and they work fine now (the original version was iffy). Recently i replaced 8 light switches with various leviton dimmers and switches. I also installed a motion sensor in the garage. And I use 6 Ring cameras bridged to homekit with homebridge. Then add in several plug-in smart outlets, including three in the back yard to control a whole bunch of lighting that I just installed (after adding outlets to my backyard - big project the last couple weeks). It’s all controlled by home kit automations - my kid turns on the light in her bathroom, that means the lights in her room shut off, etc. So far it works great.

That said, what Moment will do is greatly expand the selection of devices that I can add to the ecosystem. In-wall outlets and switches have few choices in homekit right now. Door locks, too - really it’s Level or August, unless you want to go with something like the full lock replacements from Yale. In many categories of smart devices there is only one or two homekit choices, and often these don‘t work for me (e.g. they are battery operated, and I want hard wired or plug-in). Particularly on the sensor side, Homekit choices are pretty weak. For example, there really is only one outdoor homekit secure video camera. Two, if you don’t mind drilling a hole through a wall to run a wire, because though the camera is outdoor-rated, the wire connector and power supply are not.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
unless you want to go with something like the full lock replacements from Yale.

In the past I've used wireless Yale deadbolts (thought they were a notch above others). Would that work?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the past I've used wireless Yale deadbolts (thought they were a notch above others). Would that work?
Yeah, they have a few choices:

Top Bottom
1 2