Apple October Event rumors

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
From Gurman.

New ipad with USB-C, new ipad pro with M2, probably Mac Pro and maybe MacBook Pros with M2.

I hope the iPad Pro finally moves the camera/Face ID to the long side. My hand is always blocking the Face ID, and when I use zoom/webex/teams it always looks like I am looking to the right. Other rumor for iPad Pro is some sort of magsafe, and previously there were some sort of rumors about using it as a magnetic charger for other devices, but I doubt the latter.

as for the new MacBook Pros, the big question will be whether the M2 Max (and chopped versions of it) are on N3, N4, or N5P. At this point it beats me. My understanding is that it was pretty easy to generate the design such that it would work on any of those nodes since they all have similar design rules and the differences would be confined within standard cells, so it’s probably just a question of the size of the order and how fast TSMC ramps up. The linked article also suggests MBP may not appear at this event, which, if true, would tend to support the idea that it will be N3 when it comes. But I’ll be very interested in the answer - if Apple does use N3, it shows they are not just always going to take the simple route they took with the M1 variants - in the future there may be increasingly more different segmentation between high end and lower end M-series chips within a generation.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
When the "regular" iPad goes USB-C, that's the whole product line. So you've got iPads all USB-C, Macs with USB-C ... iPhones? Hello? <grumble grumble>

I was kind of 50/50 of whether the new Airpods case would stay Lightning or move to USB-C (it did at least get the kind of neat Watch charger compatibility).

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
When the "regular" iPad goes USB-C, that's the whole product line. So you've got iPads all USB-C, Macs with USB-C ... iPhones? Hello? <grumble grumble>

I was kind of 50/50 of whether the new Airpods case would stay Lightning or move to USB-C (it did at least get the kind of neat Watch charger compatibility).

I think apple thinks of it as a data thing. IPads benefit more from being able to plug into external devices (drives, monitors, network cables, whatever) than iphones.

I don’t know whether apple will ever support USB-C on iphone - I’m guessing they’d really love to have no port at all. I’d guess next year we will see usb-c on iphone, but apple might just remove the port altogether.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I totally forgot the Mac Pro existed 😂 It should be coming soon. And yet, there's been zero specific rumors about it. A15/M2 based... for sure? Too late to be A14/M1 based, too early to be A16/M3 based.

You know what I'd love? A new AirPod Max version. But it seems there's even less rumors about that than about the Mac Pro...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I totally forgot the Mac Pro existed 😂 It should be coming soon. And yet, there's been zero specific rumors about it. A15/M2 based... for sure? Too late to be A14/M1 based, too early to be A16/M3 based.

You know what I'd love? A new AirPod Max version. But it seems there's even less rumors about that than about the Mac Pro...

I just ordered an AirPod max for my wife’s birthday. I was waiting to buy a new one and was going to give her mine as a hand-me-down, but lack of rumors…

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don’t know whether apple will ever support USB-C on iphone - I’m guessing they’d really love to have no port at all. I’d guess next year we will see usb-c on iphone, but apple might just remove the port altogether.

That does seem to be the race: will is become USB-C before it just goes wireless.

I just ordered an AirPod max for my wife’s birthday. I was waiting to buy a new one and was going to give her mine as a hand-me-down, but lack of rumors…

Did you see my post about Air Pod Max at Amazon? $429, all colors.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That does seem to be the race: will is become USB-C before it just goes wireless.

I didn’t see your post, but that’s where i placed the order last night.

I can’t wear in-ear earphones anymore, and my kid stole my beats, so now I carry the Max in my messenger bag back and forth to work. My wife tried them on at the Apple Store last night and loved them, particularly the noise cancellation.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I didn’t see your post, but that’s where i placed the order last night.

I can’t wear in-ear earphones anymore, and my kid stole my beats, so now I carry the Max in my messenger bag back and forth to work. My wife tried them on at the Apple Store last night and loved them, particularly the noise cancellation.

OK, cool, yeah that deal was kind of tempting, I was rambling about simplifying my desktop, considered AirPods Pro 2, realized I don't really dig on buds around the house (and I don't walk around with ear/headphones, need to make calls on the go, etc.).

D

Deleted member 215

I am hoping to see an update to the 24" iMac. If the "18 month cycle" rumor is true, now would be the time to update it. Then again, the Mac Mini has yet to be updated and it will have now been 2 years since it received M1 (and they are still selling the Intel model, which indicates to me that a "Pro" Mac Mini is coming). Perhaps Mac desktops will be on a longer cycle than the laptops.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been waiting since forever. I think I'll wait until after the October/November events and get them for Christmas if no rumors pop up by then. I'm sure they'll be announced on the next event after I buy them tho.

How does Amazon get them so cheap?

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was really hoping they would bring the miniLED display to the 11" iPad Pro. Damn. On the other hand I'm tempted by the bigger 12.9" anyway. 😆

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was really hoping they would bring the miniLED display to the 11" iPad Pro. Damn. On the other hand I'm tempted by the bigger 12.9" anyway. 😆
It’s a nice display. Maybe they will release it on the 11”. No way to know for sure until they announce something.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I am hoping to see an update to the 24" iMac.

Or a 27". Or maybe even a 30".

I have played on the 24. The 27 is a good size for me. I do quite a bit of spreadsheet work, so bigger is always better.

1662942978967.png

Top Bottom
1 2