Apple Photos and Google Photos

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well my wife’s iPad is over flowing with photos. I was thinking that if I upped the storage of her iCloud account that I could keep her photos on iCloud and pull them off of her iPad, but (tell me if I am wrong) I read that iCloud is just a sync service, and it appears if you delete photo from Photos, it is deleted on all associated iOS devices without an option to store it just on iCloud, yes?

So then I try out Google Photos, there is an app, it directly links to your Apple Photos album, and it is super easy to transfer them over to Google Photos, and when you delete a photo on Apple Photos, it will remain on Google Photos.

Fine and dandy, except, I transferred 300 photos to an album created in Google Photos, it told me immediately 300 photos added, yet I know it takes some time to upload them and there is zero indication that these photos are finished uploading or not. After A while, I shut down Google Photos, then lsunched it again and there were only 6 images in this library. I would be ok, with a slow upload, but I want this app (Google Photos) to show when it is finished. I’m on the second round of selecting the same photos to transfer to GP. How do you know it is finished?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I read that iCloud is just a sync service, and it appears if you delete photo from Photos, it is deleted on all associated iOS devices without an option to store it just on iCloud, yes?
That’s not totally accurate. This article explains it and the different options you have.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s not totally accurate. This article explains it and the different options you have.

Well when I choose to delete a photo on my wife’s iPad a message pops up, that I am deleting it on all of my iOS devices. This is why I posted the thread, trying to figure out if there is a way to delete a photo on an iPad, but keep it in iCloud. A discussion at Apple Community, someone said iCloud is just a sync service And for online storage, they suggested Dropbox or Google Photos. Now that might not be correct, so I am trying to verify.

I’ve also noted that something like Google Photos or Dropbox, I can see what is stored there. Is there alway to pull up an iCloud interface and see what you have stored there?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Well when I choose to delete a photo on my wife’s iPad a message pops up, that I am deleting it on all of my iOS devices. This is why I posted the thread, trying to figure out if there is a way to delete a photo on an iPad, but keep it in iCloud. A discussion at Apple Community, someone said iCloud is just a sync service And for online storage, they suggested Dropbox or Google Photos. Now that might not be correct, so I am trying to verify.

I’ve also noted that something like Google Photos or Dropbox, I can see what is stored there. Is there alway to pull up an iCloud interface and see what you have stored there?
You turn on “optimize storage” if you don’t want them taking up space on the iPad’s storage... instead of deleting the photo. What you see on the device IS what is in the cloud… it’s just a matter of whether it’s downloaded locally or not based on the “optimize storage” setting.

It’s described in more detail at the link I posted.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You turn on “optimize storage” if you don’t want them taking up space on the iPad’s storage... instead of deleting the photo. What you see on the device IS what is in the cloud… it’s just a matter of whether it’s downloaded locally or not based on the “optimize storage” setting.

It’s described in more detail at the link I posted.
My understanding based on what I read somewhere is that optimized storage means you have lower resolution image on your device. I‘m interested in deleting them on my iOS device but holding them in the cloud. I think I’d also prefer being able to manage my cloud storage directly.

Btw, my wife’s iPad that I’m trying to free up some space is full, so full that it can no longer has the space to update apps on it. I checked the iCloud setting and it is already on optimized. She’s got about 3000 images in it, so… :)

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
My understanding based on what I read somewhere is that optimized storage means you have lower resolution image on your device. I‘m interested in deleting them on my iOS device but holding them in the cloud. I think I’d also prefer being able to manage my cloud storage directly.

Btw, my wife’s iPad that I’m trying to free up some space is full, so full that it can no longer has the space to update apps on it. I checked the iCloud setting and it is already on optimized. She’s got about 3000 images in it, so… :)
You can turn off iCloud photos on the iPad without them being deleted from iCloud. This should prompt you to wipe them all from the iPad. If you then turn it back on (keeping the ‘optimize storage’ option on), it should only download thumbnails saving tons of space…

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I have a wifi NAS (Time Capsule) onto which I offload stuff. FileBrowser has direct access to the photo library, so I drag them out with that and put them on the HD, then delete them from the iPad. It also allows me to actually organize them, rather than have a goulash. Obviously, it is less convenient than cloud storage, but my iPad is not itinerant (stays home all the time), and the transfers tend to be a little/a lot faster than using the internets.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a hell of a time cleaning my iPad of photos and videos. it is easier now but for a long time I could not remove them all.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I've got around 40,000 photos and about 500 videos. If the device is out of space at 3,000 images with optimization on, I'd guess you already have space issues asides from the photos.
That is why I suggested deleting them and turning it back on. If all the full-resolution images were on there before, it would delete as needed over time to save space I think.

But I also suspect it is something else using the space.

If you go to general settings - iPad storage - you can see the culprit(s).

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use iCloud and Google Photos (which I’ve been using since it was Picassa). I just don’t worry about it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's a reason I like having a Mac/Photos combined with iOS devices, optimized storage with photos in iCloud, then I've got my Mac syncing an original, full resolution copy locally (a second copy), and my machine being backed up with Backblaze (an offsite 3rd copy), and scheduled (not daily), CC images stored locally (4th copy).

Hahaha, I also use Google Photos, so I guess I have a 5th backup :D

Photos are one of those things that can be irreplaceable yet people are often so casual about backing them up since iCloud usually "just works".

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@BigMcGuire I spoke with Google today and for Google Photos, they said Backup and Sync was basically an all or nothing proposition as you said. I did notice that when I first signed into GP, I was given a choice to access all photos, or some photos. I asked the advisor if yo0u choose "some photos" and pick them out, would they be transferred to both GHP and backed up online? He said he was not sure. I'll play with this a bit.

For everyone, on my wife's iPad, she has 2.5GB in my iOSPhotos, 500MB free, but when it comes time to update apps, iOS is telling me there is to enough space to do so. I looked at some of my wife's apps, she's got 2GB in Facebook. I need to see what that is exactly, almost 2 GB in messenger, that maybe likely photos, 2GB in picture puzzles, and some other over 1GB tied up with an app. For the puzzles, I need to figure out how to wipe those but verify that the purchased items will remain as registered in her account.

I don't like the access I have to iCloud and the way it is handled, all my devices mixed into one, delete 1 photo on 1 device and it disappears on all devices. I'll probably play with Google Photos, it has among the best prices for storage, but there is also Flickr, and one or 2 more I'll check out. I want a setup like I had when I was still using Photobucket, pick what you want upload it and hold it independent of what you hold on your devices t home.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is anyone storing their photos on thumb drives? I think the come on up to 128GB but are not cheap and I realize you need to double them up to be called backup.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
@BigMcGuire I spoke with Google today and for Google Photos, they said Backup and Sync was basically an all or nothing proposition as you said. I did notice that when I first signed into GP, I was given a choice to access all photos, or some photos. I asked the advisor if yo0u choose "some photos" and pick them out, would they be transferred to both GHP and backed up online? He said he was not sure. I'll play with this a bit.

For everyone, on my wife's iPad, she has 2.5GB in my iOSPhotos, 500MB free, but when it comes time to update apps, iOS is telling me there is to enough space to do so. I looked at some of my wife's apps, she's got 2GB in Facebook. I need to see what that is exactly, almost 2 GB in messenger, that maybe likely photos, 2GB in picture puzzles, and some other over 1GB tied up with an app. For the puzzles, I need to figure out how to wipe those but verify that the purchased items will remain as registered in her account.

I don't like the access I have to iCloud and the way it is handled, all my devices mixed into one, delete 1 photo on 1 device and it disappears on all devices. I'll probably play with Google Photos, it has among the best prices for storage, but there is also Flickr, and one or 2 more I'll check out. I want a setup like I had when I was still using Photobucket, pick what you want upload it and hold it independent of what you hold on your devices t home.
Is that a 16GB iPad? 500MB free is barely enough to update the OS...

Top Bottom
1 2