Apple: rumor re: VR/AR goggles and AR glasses

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

The glasses are more interesting to me than the goggles, though I wonder how Apple would deal with prescription lenses, progressive lens prescriptions, transition lenses, etc. Maybe they wouldn’t support all that.

Anyway…

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

The glasses are more interesting to me than the goggles, though I wonder how Apple would deal with prescription lenses, progressive lens prescriptions, transition lenses, etc. Maybe they wouldn’t support all that.

Anyway…
Programmable prescription changes, hey you never know. 🤷‍♂️

Very interested to see where this goes and lessons learned from Google's failures, granted when it comes to hardware they've failed and abandoned most devices from what we've seen anyway. I think Apple are the only ones who can take this where it needs to go, looking forward to seeing their results.

Last edited:

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...

Anyway…

AR glasses definately more interesting than VR goggles; and valid points, as my glasses have progressive/transition lenses...

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Still saying Apple's will be glasses with bidirectional video data streams communicating over UWB data link with your iPhone.

AR processing will be in your phone, where the A-series cpu/gpu is, along with a battery of decent capacity to support that computational load, and also provide wireless access to the internet.

Along with Apple, Nvida and Meta are also pursuing this, collaborating with Stanford's VR/AR lab and recent development of 2.5mm display lenses. Apple's collaboration with Stanford goes back six years on this.

Additional info on the display/lenses, which will be presented at SIGGRAPH in a couple months:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Whoever came up with the mockup on 9to5Mac clearly hasn't bought many Apple products. The glasses have a $28 sticker on the lenses — that's less than Apple's 2 m USB-C to Lightning cable.

I don't see how they can accommodate different lens prescriptions unless they've come up with a technology to dynamically adjust the lens's focal characteristics. One alternative would be glasses that are worn over existing lenses.

I also don't think the tech is there to avoid the need for a paired iPhone. That could even boost sales of whatever iPhone is released along with the glasses if it's the only iPhone that's compatible with them.

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
Whoever came up with the mockup on 9to5Mac clearly hasn't bought many Apple products. The glasses have a $28 sticker on the lenses — that's less than Apple's 2 m USB-C to Lightning cable.

I don't see how they can accommodate different lens prescriptions unless they've come up with a technology to dynamically adjust the lens's focal characteristics. One alternative would be glasses that are worn over existing lenses.

I also don't think the tech is there to avoid the need for a paired iPhone. That could even boost sales of whatever iPhone is released along with the glasses if it's the only iPhone that's compatible with them.

Look closer, it appears to be part of a Message chat, and the $28 is probably indicating a money transfer...

As for pairing, iPad / iPad Pro pairing should also be a thing, not just iPhone pairing...

Top Bottom
1 2