General Apple TV now works/syncs with Peloton App/iPhone/Watch

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
There's been an Apple TV App for Peloton for some time, it was basically a non-interactive video streamer. For any feedback/performance/health data, you still needed your Apple Watch + iPhone, or some kind of compatible HRM.

Just recently, Wife was using the Peloton App through an Apple TV, had her Watch on, didn't really do anything else, and the Apple TV displayed real-time performance/health data! She did not pair her Watch to the ATV, it all just sort of worked. I guess there's some kind of communication occurring, she's logged into all three devices (ATV/AW/iP), so either the SDK has some kind of on-the-fly ability to setup an adhoc network between them, or it's just a relay, i.e., the Watch/iP is sending data upstream to Peloton and the ATV is streaming it down - it's kind of hard to tell if there's any notable latency, for a workout, it's fine.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting, I did a shadowboxing workout two days ago on the Apple TV Peloton app. I think my watch kicked in but I declined connection. Can't remember for sure. I mostly do the cycling and just start a workout on the Watch workouts app. I guess it would be nice to not have to start the workouts manually.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Sorry I didn't have some of the details, I wasn't 100% sure how it was working.

So, I just had Wife fire up a yoga workout, she got prompted on her Watch to connect (which sounds like what you described above), she OK'ed, and on the ATV I saw this:

IMG_1199.jpeg

Then I took her iPhone which was in the room (while she yoga'ed around :D), and turned off everything, BT/Cell/WiFi, the Watch lost connection with the ATV / Peloton App, then I tried just BT, and it seemed to be the same (not connected), it took the phone having a Cell or WiFi connection, so it seems like maybe it is a relay where the Watch is sending data upstream (using the iPhone as a proxy) and it's being displayed on the ATV.

Very cool!

FYI, we just have the Peloton App, we do have a stationary bike, it's a nice Sunny model, and I added Wahoo cadence sensors (which work when you're using the iPhone or iPad, they're basically a BT device).

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't have some of the details, I wasn't 100% sure how it was working.

So, I just had Wife fire up a yoga workout, she got prompted on her Watch to connect (which sounds like what you described above), she OK'ed, and on the ATV I saw this:

View attachment 13445

Then I took her iPhone which was in the room (while she yoga'ed around :D), and turned off everything, BT/Cell/WiFi, the Watch lost connection with the ATV / Peloton App, then I tried just BT, and it seemed to be the same (not connected), it took the phone having a Cell or WiFi connection, so it seems like maybe it is a relay where the Watch is sending data upstream (using the iPhone as a proxy) and it's being displayed on the ATV.

Very cool!

FYI, we just have the Peloton App, we do have a stationary bike, it's a nice Sunny model, and I added Wahoo cadence sensors (which work when you're using the iPhone or iPad, they're basically a BT device).
Heart rate on the screen is a nice feature. That's one of the things I like about the Apple Fitness app on Apple TV. Your watch syncs fully with the app so you see heat rate, ring progress, everything. It's slick, and I prefer the workouts to the Peloton ones. They're just more refined, typically elegant Apple presentation (relatively speaking compared to other workouts), but I didn't want to add another subscription with the Peloton at my disposal. The cycling workouts are everything to me.

Top Bottom
1 2