Apple Watch S8

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Just saw that Apple released a new support document detailing how the temperature sensor works in the Health app: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213275

Interestingly, the document says:
Your wrist temperature is a measurement related to your body's temperature taken by your Apple Watch while you're asleep. Your body temperature naturally fluctuates and can vary each night due to your diet and exercise, alcohol consumption, sleep environment, or physiological factors such as menstrual cycles and illness. After about 5 nights, your Apple Watch will determine your baseline wrist temperature and look for nightly changes to it.
Which points to other uses beyond cycle tracking.

The graph on the Health app doesn't show an absolute temperature temperature measurement. It rather computes a 'baseline' and measures deviations from the baseline. Smart. However, it only measures the wrist temperature while you sleep. That one is kind of a bummer, but it makes sense (the under-display temperature sensor is probably unreliable under the sun, or while the Watch is being used).

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Just saw that Apple released a new support document detailing how the temperature sensor works in the Health app: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213275

Interestingly, the document says:

Which points to other uses beyond cycle tracking.

The graph on the Health app doesn't show an absolute temperature temperature measurement. It rather computes a 'baseline' and measures deviations from the baseline. Smart. However, it only measures the wrist temperature while you sleep. That one is kind of a bummer, but it makes sense (the under-display temperature sensor is probably unreliable under the sun, or while the Watch is being used).
Yeah it tracks temp the same way Oura ring does. I saw 1 reviewer mention it was as accurate as their Oura, so that is good.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Hopefully the fast charger gets the watch charged in the time it takes someone to get ready in the morning, or when are people supposed to charge their watches, then?

Me, I was hoping this could be useful for alerting people when they have a fever - because - you know - pandemic? One more means to be able to help alert people when they're sick....but, nope, it's not there yet.

I'm sure Apple will continue to refine this in future revisions...and also tweaks in WatchOS.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't look like a notification - it just looks like a history graph.

It's only going to be useful if it actually notifies people (otherwise the majority will likely have no idea that they have a fever) - and go into work. Typhoid Mary. :D
Oh yeah, absolutely no notification. Temperature is only measured at night anyway IIRC so the timeframe for notifications would be small. But if you're feeling unwell in the morning you can do a quick check with the Watch temperature.

Top Bottom
1 2