Apple Watch

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got my first AW (Series 6) free through a work program so quite the noob for a guy who’s been buying Apple stuff for years.

About the Fitness app…I’ve read a fair amount about how the rings work but still want to clarify something.

When you start a workout using the Workout app, you automatically seem to get credit through the workout ring, regardless of your vitals. However, if you spend the day moving around a lot (not necessarily working out), part of that seems to count towards your workout ring also.

I’m assuming this overlap between Move and Workout happens when your BPM gets to a certain value. Do I have this right? It seems a 12 hour shift at work completes the rings easily.

D

Deleted member 199

Also, (unless they've changed it) starting a workout and then doing something low-effort (e.g. a casual walk) won't necessarily count for the full time the timer runs.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Also, (unless they've changed it) starting a workout and then doing something low-effort (e.g. a casual walk) won't necessarily count for the full time the timer runs.
So far, it seems to me that it does. That is, for the Workout ring, if I do 15 minutes of stretching, it appears equivalent to 15 minutes of strong cardio. You’d get extra points on the Move ring for the cardio vs stretching.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
After 5 weeks or so, I’m completely sold on this thing. I’m an active person, as American males my age go. But sometimes I need a push and a modicum of accountability. Right now it feels mildly life changing. Closing the rings daily and feeling good, aside from old guy injuries.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think even if you turn on the "Workout" app and don't do really anything it will count it as exercise minutes...but it won't move the "Move" goal much if your HR isn't up.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I'm on my second Apple Watch (I recently upgraded from a Series 3 cellular to a Series 6 GPS). When people ask me about it, I tell them I really, really like it, but I can't recommend it. They are expensive to the point where it isn't clear to me if others will get the same value out of it that I do. I love being able to not only see, but reply to, messages on my wrist, triage other notifications, use Apple Pay, and run with just the watch and a pair of headphones, but I still cringe a little bit at how much I spent on each of them.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm on my second Apple Watch (I recently upgraded from a Series 3 cellular to a Series 6 GPS). When people ask me about it, I tell them I really, really like it, but I can't recommend it. They are expensive to the point where it isn't clear to me if others will get the same value out of it that I do. I love being able to not only see, but reply to, messages on my wrist, triage other notifications, use Apple Pay, and run with just the watch and a pair of headphones, but I still cringe a little bit at how much I spent on each of them.
The price is scary, isn't it? I went from the first generation directly to the 4 which was a huge and noticeable jump so I felt okay about it, to me this isn't like the iPhone where I make the change every year or two. I'll likely hang on to this 4 for a couple more years.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
The price is scary, isn't it? I went from the first generation directly to the 4 which was a huge and noticeable jump so I felt okay about it, to me this isn't like the iPhone where I make the change every year or two. I'll likely hang on to this 4 for a couple more years.
I'm still on my original S2. I plan to upgrade to the newest one this fall, though. I'll be able to pass this one on to family.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't upgrade often I needed to because my watch would not make it through the day once I started riding my bike. for exercise I like my garmin better but its not good for info.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, I was on my original pre-ordered __S0__ till the end of last year, and then I scored an S5 with nearly the full duration AC+, delivered for $270, mint, box, etc., the seller even contacted Apple and had the AC moved into my name, so I can continue it when it expires. Pretty killer deal.

I got the wife an S4 new in 2019, that also replaced her original S0 from the same order as mine. She actually went from a 42mm to a 40mm since the display was still larger, I stayed with the larger (went from 42 to 44).

We LOVE them, I retired my other watches, the only time I wear a different one is for diving (older, invincible G-Shock).

I like it as a timepiece, as a quick schedule/calendar checker, as an Apple Pay device, some awesome complications/app for things like tides, weather, steps, and they are fantastic for health/fitness devices, I use it for a heart rate monitor with a few different apps, for workout data, etc.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I like it as a timepiece, as a quick schedule/calendar checker, as an Apple Pay device, some awesome complications/app for things like tides, weather, steps, and they are fantastic for health/fitness devices, I use it for a heart rate monitor with a few different apps, for workout data, etc.
And, timers, notifications, volume control for music podcasts, alerts, alarms... Mine is a sometimes more convenient extension to my phone.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And, timers, notifications, volume control for music podcasts, alerts, alarms... Mine is a sometimes more convenient extension to my phone.

Oh yeah, timers is a great one. Notifications too, I'm pretty much always wearing my Apple Watch, but sometimes my phone isn't close, or upstairs, so having notifications show up on my wrist is terrific.

For example :D

IMG_7953.png

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Oh yeah, timers is a great one. Notifications too, I'm pretty much always wearing my Apple Watch, but sometimes my phone isn't close, or upstairs, so having notifications show up on my wrist is terrific.

For example :D

View attachment 6736
Yeah, I do a ton of stuff where it's "leave this for 23 minutes and check on it..." Also with notifications, I know when family is chatting or someone is texting me, I can see it and decide if it's something I have to deal with right now.

D

Deleted member 199

Wait till you do this to it, and then look at the price of a screen replacement vs a new one.

62EBD751-A707-4B42-8F8A-3D703DEDA6E6_1_105_c.jpeg

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wait till you do this to it, and then look at the price of a screen replacement vs a new one.

View attachment 6739

That sucks! Did it still work? Mine didn't. :ROFLMAO:

For the curious, it wasn't a house fire, but a fire in a detached garage out back. I had my watch charging out there at the time and left it there when I went back inside the house (must have had my rings closed). Then I got distracted. Then a neighbor was pounding on the door and yelling fire. I think they ultimately blamed old wiring for the fire.

I liked my Apple Watch, but didn't realize how much until it was gone. The problem was that the fire happened in July and I wasn't about to get another S3 with the S4 just around the corner with its bigger screen. So I found other ways to get by till I was able to replace it. The napkin watch was initially a big success. But it just didn't have the same build quality I'm accustomed to with Apple products. After the first one failed, I decide to just hold out for the real thing and not settle for some lesser watch.

Attachments

• IMG_5911.jpeg
    IMG_5911.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5472.jpeg
    IMG_5472.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
D

Deleted member 199

We got Apple Care, hopefully it would cover that?
Past coverage period, otherwise yes, I guess it would have.

The problem was that the fire happened in July and I wasn't about to get another S3 with the S4 just around the corner with its bigger screen.

I'm definitely noticing mine being missing - despite working at a computer all day, I find I lose track of time easier - no menubar clock in fullscreen mode.

I don't know if I can wait for the next model to be released here. It's typically a bit delayed after the US release, and given that what I had was series 4 a current model will be fine. I just need to get off my ass and order it (well, technically get on my ass I guess, I doubt im going to order it while standing).

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I was on my original pre-ordered __S0__ till the end of last year, and then I scored an S5 with nearly the full duration AC+, delivered for $270, mint, box, etc., the seller even contacted Apple and had the AC moved into my name, so I can continue it when it expires. Pretty killer deal.

I got the wife an S4 new in 2019, that also replaced her original S0 from the same order as mine. She actually went from a 42mm to a 40mm since the display was still larger, I stayed with the larger (went from 42 to 44).

We LOVE them, I retired my other watches, the only time I wear a different one is for diving (older, invincible G-Shock).

Which app are you using for tides?

Top Bottom
1 2