Arcane tax increases on the rich in stimulus bill

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

lol.

Clearly this is rich tax avoidance suppression targeted at those who can pay more taxes and not even know it’s missing. Outrageous! What’s next, higher taxes on your 4th home that’s only occupied 1 month out of the year?!?!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The next step could be restoring funding to the IRS. Interesting article points out that money spent to audit billionaires pays for itself many times over. 100% of them cheat on their taxes.

From the article:

An increase in I.R.S. funding to reverse this decade of damage would also make good fiscal sense. Natasha Sarin, an assistant professor at the University of Pennsylvania law school, and Larry Summers, the Harvard economist, have a proposal to restore about $100 billion to the agency’s budget over the next 10 years.

Various estimates by the Congressional Budget Office, the U.S. Treasury and academic researchers have concluded that investing in the I.R.S. would pay for itself many times over. The Treasury Department, for instance, estimated that each additional dollar dedicated to I.R.S. enforcement results in directly recouping about $6 in taxes owed.

So, the only reason to cut the IRS enforcement budget is to help wealthy friends and/or political donors. It is the OPPOSITE of the famed “fiscal responsibility” the GOP crows about constantly.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
⬆️ Two different tax guys I've used over the last few years have complained that it's virtually impossible to get through to the IRS. That's aside from the reasons you mentioned, which I agree with.

This vendetta conservatives have against certain government agencies has got to stop.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

lol.

Clearly this is rich tax avoidance suppression targeted at those who can pay more taxes and not even know it’s missing. Outrageous! What’s next, higher taxes on your 4th home that’s only occupied 1 month out of the year?!?!
If they don't even know it's missing then they're clearly not paying enough. Also, while the spin of "tucked in" was a nice touch by Politico this was surely no secret, Republicans read every single page of it out loud.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
If they don't even know it's missing then they're clearly not paying enough. Also, while the spin of "tucked in" was a nice touch by Politico this was surely no secret, Republicans read every single page of it out loud.
Actually, the guy who demanded the reading delegated it to a Senate staffer, then went “peace out!” When the reading was finished, there was supposed to be 20 more hours of debate, but since no Republicans stuck around until 2am, the Dems shortened it to 3 hours. So, with the full reading taking only about 10 hours, the bill was actually sped up by 7 hours instead of delayed, which Sen. Johnson didn’t seem to care about one way or the other, The entire thing was just Sen. Johnson being a dick.

F him and the horse he rode in on.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
⬆️ Two different tax guys I've used over the last few years have complained that it's virtually impossible to get through to the IRS. That's aside from the reasons you mentioned, which I agree with.
You can’t even get through to the IRS when you’re trying to return money to them! Over the last year we’ve become all too familiar with the IRS and have used an accountant for the first time ever. Due to checking the wrong box on a form, we received a very large check from the IRS. Could not get through to anyone to find out how to return it. By the time they figured it out we had gotten a decent interest on it sitting in the savings account. Seriously.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Again, Democrats...FUCKING HAMMER THIS HOME CONSTANTLY from now through 2024.

And don't tell us. Tell Republicans. Talk to them.

I guarantee you 2,000% that Republicans are going to say Covid was already on the decline and economy was already on the rebound so this package was an insane waste of tax payer dollars that had little impact. So more hammering needs to be done by Democrats on the specifics on how this is helping and helped when it becomes past tense. As a lefty I still have no clue on how Obama's polices helped us out of the Bush recession, but I do remember him bailing out Wall St. and the banks. So what does that tell you?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I guarantee you 2,000% that Republicans are going to say Covid was already on the decline and economy was already on the rebound so this package was an insane waste of tax payer dollars that had little impact. So more hammering needs to be done by Democrats on the specifics on how this is helping and helped when it becomes past tense. As a lefty I still have no clue on how Obama's polices helped us out of the Bush recession, but I do remember him bailing out Wall St. and the banks. So what does that tell you?
Once again, Dems have to clean up the mess left by Republican rule. They only care about themselves and their rich donors who keep them in power. They opposed THIS stimulus because most of it is going to people, not businesses.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Well, the Republicans went apeshit when he put some banks under government control for a while. They made it sound like Karl Marx had taken over the US.

Obama made two errors. One, that he admitted, was that he succumbed to GOP and moderate Dem pressure that the amount of the stimulus was just too high. Many economists warned him that it wouldn't work as well if he didn't pour more money into it, but to his discredit he didn't, and that's why the recovery took literally years.

The other mistake was that he made some noise about throwing the bankers responsible for that financial chicanery in jail. His approval rating went through the roof when he said that. Then he didn't do it. That was the beginning of many people's disillusionment in Obama being a genuine transformative president.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, the Republicans went apeshit when he put some banks under government control for a while. They made it sound like Karl Marx had taken over the US.

Obama made two errors. One, that he admitted, was that he succumbed to GOP and moderate Dem pressure that the amount of the stimulus was just too high. Many economists warned him that it wouldn't work as well if he didn't pour more money into it, but to his discredit he didn't, and that's why the recovery took literally years.

The other mistake was that he made some noise about throwing the bankers responsible for that financial chicanery in jail. His approval rating went through the roof when he said that. Then he didn't do it. That was the beginning of many people's disillusionment in Obama being a genuine transformative president.

I give Obama some handicap points because as the nation's first black president I think he was keenly aware that going too much against the estableshment would be sold in some circles as an uppity negro destroying the country.

There are still assholes out there claiming Obama was more divisive than Trump with zero examples other than being president while black.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Even little things remind me of how much better a president Biden is than Trump.

We’ve all seen Trump sign an executive order and hold it up so he could proudly show off his outsized signature.

This morning I saw a video of Biden signing the Covid relief bill. When he was done he basically did a mic drop with the pen—slammed it to the desktop and quietly said, “Thank you” as he got up from the Resolute Desk. It was very satisfying.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Even little things remind me of how much better a president Biden is than Trump.

We’ve all seen Trump sign an executive order and hold it up so he could proudly show off his outsized signature.

This morning I saw a video of Biden signing the Covid relief bill. When he was done he basically did a mic drop with the pen—slammed it to the desktop and quietly said, “Thank you” as he got up from the Resolute Desk. It was very satisfying.
He didn’t feel the need to show everybody how YUUUUGE his signature was?

Top Bottom
1 2