Ban pitts

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I do not own a dog. Never have owned a dog. So I don't have one in the fight.

I've been around a lot of pit bulls, and I don't understand the fear towards the breed. They are the breed most caught up in these stories, but they are also a popular breed. I myself probably see more pit bulls than any other breed of dog around where I live. To me, the high numbers of pit bull-related deaths are kind of like saying "Most car accidents involve 4-wheeled vehicles", because that's the majority of what's on the road.

They seem to me to be one of the most loyal and friendly breeds out there. I've had many more close calls with German shepherds and other medium-breed dogs (dogs that aren't huskies, but about the same size). Obviously, that's just my experience and my opinion, but I don't understand why you would ban pit bulls but not other equally-large or capable breeds.

I dunno, I just see them as dogs like any other.

dukebound85

Power User
Reaction score
Dogs are like children - it all goes to their upbringing and environment. *Insert blurb about how people should be screened to raise either* :D
You did read that the ones in this story were raised as pups in a loving household for 8 years right?

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Date of death:January 25, 2022Chained:No
Breed of dog:French mastiff-mixRelationship to dog:Family
Sex of dog:FemaleOwner of dog:Grandfather
Spay/Neuter:UnreleasedMultiple dogs:No
On/Off property:OnCriminal charges:No

Date of death:January 28, 2022Chained:Yes
Breed of dog:German shepherd (2)Relationship to dog:Non-family
Sex of dog:MaleOwner of dog:Neighbor
Spay/Neuter:NoMultiple dogs:Yes
On/Off property:OffCriminal charges:No

Date of death:January 29, 2022Chained:No
Breed of dog:RottweilerRelationship to dog:Family
Sex of dog:MaleOwner of dog:Step-grandfather
Spay/Neuter:YesMultiple dogs:No
On/Off property:OnCriminal charges:Yes

Date of death:May 22, 2022Chained:No
Breed of dog:Labrador-mix (2)
Unreleased (10)
Relationship to dog:Family
Sex of dog:UnreleasedOwner of dog:Neighbor
Spay/Neuter:UnreleasedMultiple dogs:Yes

Date of death:August 15, 2022Chained:No
Breed of dog:Great dane (5)Relationship to dog:Family
Sex of dog:MixedOwner of dog:Victim
Spay/Neuter:UnreleasedMultiple dogs:Yes

Although it's true that pitbulls do kill humans (I don't think anyone here would deny that), but so do other breeds. Should these other breeds also be banned?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
You did read that the ones in this story were raised as pups in a loving household for 8 years right?
I speculate this is an exception that proves the rule. Any dog is unpredictable in the end but being trained and cared for properly will (generally) minimize these incidents.

I do appreciate points some have made here about the sheer capability of pit bulls. If chihuahuas and pitties were to both have the exact same temperament and incident rate, the pit bulls would do 100x more damage due to how they’re built. I suppose that’s something to be considered.

We breed waaaay too many dogs in this country obviously, the whole thing is kind of fucked up, and so many dog owners have no business caring for them. I’m so glad my wife isn’t into them, I want nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom
1 2